Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Mr Stani

Shitty Interface new
      #313024 - 19/06/06 09:33 AM
I've recently but stupidly bought the cheapest of the cheap Edirol UA20 audio/MIDI interface, MIDI of course works fine but any audio signal it recieves over -6dB produces the dirtiest digital clip. So i set input levels low when recording, so as i'm sure u can guess, normalizing the recording in DAW gives me more noise than signal. In short i need to buy a new one. Any advice on a good Mac compatible audio/MIDI interface for up to £150? Anything with a good dynamic range. Also what are the chances its my Mac mini causing this problem? any info will help, cheers guys

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
transmatic2000

Re: Shitty Interface new [Re: Mr Stani]
      #313038 - 19/06/06 10:06 AM
Very interesting. This is not the answer your looking for so forgive me, and I don't necessarily knwo what I'm talking about, but I recall in the days of vu meters with peak lights in the corner, that even though your vu level was in safe territory, peaks could occur which would cause distortion. In analog you could get away with this, but in digital not, as you get that click. Could this be the problem? Sounds odd that an interface could come with such a drastic performance error. Sorry if this repsonse is annoying.

gerard

Loc: London, UK
Re: Shitty Interface [Re: Mr Stani]
      #313043 - 19/06/06 10:13 AM

are you on a mac or pc?

have you tried recording something via your built in audio ports?

is it just as crap?

are you recording at 16 or 24 bit?

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1649

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media