Main Forums >> Apps and Other Computers/OS
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Baldo
posting's fun

Loc: London. UK
DSL need help to install on pentium 2 PC to use as a backup storage machine. new
      #332198 - 31/07/06 08:09 AM
I have an old Pentium 2 machine with 300 MhZ CPU (might be able to squeeze 333MHz even though it is a 450) that I would like to use to store backup files.

I will add 160Gig hdd in addtion to the 4Gig (yes four Gig!) already in there.

I would like to use KDAR as the backup utility and have tried installing DSL along side XP on the hdd but it just does not boot up from the hd.

I can get DSL to run either from the CD or from RAM but not from the hd.

What I have been doing is to run from Ram and then try to install it to one of the partitions. I am then hoping to install KDE to enable me to run KDAR.

1) Is what I am trying to do with this dinasour appropriate?

2) What am I doing wrong that give an error after the DSL hd install?

3) what do I needd to post up here so that I can be pointed to the right direction?

4) Should I be bothering with DSL at all? Would something like Bonsai be more suitable?

Thanks.

--------------------
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
seablade

Re: DSL need help to install on pentium 2 PC to use as a backup storage machine. new [Re: Baldo]
      #332283 - 31/07/06 11:40 AM
DSL could work for this, and the fact you already mentioned it works fine from CD only encourages this. And yes that use for that machine is perfectly fine, low volume(Traffic wise) storage doesnt take much processing.

Would help if you could describe when the install is failing, and post up any error messages.

Seablade

Baldo
posting's fun

Re: DSL need help to install on pentium 2 PC to use as a backup storage machine. new [Re: seablade]
      #332358 - 31/07/06 01:53 PM
Thanks Seablade,

The error occurs just after the grub promt. I will have another go tonight and make a note of the exact error messages and post up here.

--------------------
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

seablade

Re: DSL need help to install on pentium 2 PC to use as a backup storage machine. new [Re: Baldo]
      #332403 - 31/07/06 03:20 PM
Yea gimme the error message, if it is right after the grub prompt I strongly suspect a bad grub.conf which usually isnt to difficult to fix. Chances are it is set up for your CD-ROM and you are trying to boot off your HD, thus where you are getting the problem.

Obviously depending on your error message there will be more to post up as well;)

Seablade

Baldo
posting's fun

Re: DSL need help to install on pentium 2 PC to use as a backup storage machine. new [Re: seablade]
      #332731 - 01/08/06 08:55 AM
Seablade, I had a go last night at running DSL 3.0 using the Bat file, ie DSL in windows and tried installing to the HD from there, it gave some error message and then just exited out. I was not even able to read the error.

I am wondering if Puppy Linux would be a better option, especially PuppyLinux KDE. It is about 200MB but it comes with KDE and since I would like to use KDAR it might just up my street. What do think?

I could of course not load all the Open office and multimedia stuff so that could keep the install size down.

This might be an easier way forward for me than DSL.
Any thoughts?

--------------------

seablade

#333193 - 01/08/06 11:03 PM
Very possible.

Personally I am ALWAYS suspicious of loading Linux while windows is running, I might suggest opening a command prompt and reading the error by running the .bat file from there, but my first suggestion would always if you can be to do it from bootup instead of from windows, if that isnt a boot disk then that complicates things a bit obviously;)

From what I remember Puppy and DSL both aim for smaller distros for older machines, its been some time since i Had experience with either though, check to see what Puppy has for options to install new software, DSL I know is Debian based which means apt which is one of the better package managers out there, as long as Puppy has something decent I dont tihnk I would have much to say;)

Seablade

Baldo
posting's fun

#334136 - 03/08/06 08:34 PM
OK I think I might be able to install DSL onto the HD but how do I get KDE?

I assume I have to install the relevant packages, can someone advise me on what to do please.

thanks.

--------------------

seablade

#334206 - 04/08/06 12:38 AM
Are you familiar with apt at all?

Apt is the debian package manager, and very effective way to install new things, for instance KDE...

apt-cache search kde

And see what comes up. Pick the correct package(Most likely there will be a virtual package that represents all of a base KDE installation) and then do

apt-get install

Apt is a really quick, REALLY easy, way to install lots of packages. After that there may be some configuration, for instance on KDE you may need to set it up off the login manager to launch it, depends on how they do their login how to do this, but I can give you a hand with this as well if needed.

If I remember right you may need to install APT, there should be scripts to do this. You also would want to look into installing Synaptic as well if you want a GUI to it, do so AFTER installing APT;)

Quote:

Standard or enhanced, your installation does not have a functional apt-get or dpkg. You need those if you want to do anything more than browse the net and get email. To enable them, be sure your Internet connection is working and connected, then right click the desktop, then Apps->Tools->Enable Apt. The computer will take quite a bit of time downloading more stuff.

Also of note is supposedly DSL has their own package system as well called MyDSL, dont know to much about that.

All of these should give you a nice starting place...

Seablade

Baldo
posting's fun

#334364 - 04/08/06 11:35 AM
Seablade, thanks mate for that.
I am familiar with apt and you are right that is great for downloading and installing stuff.

I will try and install apt first this weekend. I might get synaptic as well which I have also used although I would be happy to go with Apt via CLI.

Thanks again and I will let you know how I get on.

Incidently, the reason I had an error last time was because I was trying to install onto hda2 (thinking that this was the label of the 2nd partition on my HD) but when I ran Puppy Linux, I found that the label is actually hda5. Did I feel like a muppet or what.......

--------------------

Edited by Baldo (04/08/06 12:16 PM)

Baldo
posting's fun

#334394 - 04/08/06 12:19 PM
HOw do I install Grub on the MBR?

I am close to having DSL installed on the HD but it still seems to boot into XP by default.

Will have a look over on Linuxquestions.org in any case.

--------------------

seablade

#334679 - 05/08/06 03:16 AM
If I remember right, grub installation involves running the grub command prompt, your best bet for that actually is going to be the Gentoo Linux documentation, look for the details on the grub installation in it and I believe that will walk you through it.

Just make sure you keep a live CD handy as a backup in case something goes wrong, there are ways to fix it, but sometimes setting up grub by hand can be tricky and if it breaks you would need to do one of a couple of things, usually involving a Live CD to boot your system and mounting your boot partition to access the grub.conf file.

And before you ask, YES you can always reinstall the Windows boot manager by booting the install disk and telling it to repair the MBR.

Seablade

Smithee

Loc: London, England
      #334777 - 05/08/06 12:06 PM
Quote Baldo:

Seablade, I had a go last night at running DSL 3.0 using the Bat file, ie DSL in windows and tried installing to the HD from there, it gave some error message and then just exited out. I was not even able to read the error.

Installs from Windows are notoriously buggy, I've never seen much use for the feature myself.

Quote seablade:

From what I remember Puppy and DSL both aim for smaller distros for older machines, its been some time since i Had experience with either though

DSL's aim is to keep the main distro within the size of a 50MB business card CD. Despite its usefulness on old machines (I use an old laptop with DSL), the developers have made it clear that HD installation was never actually DSL's aim and it was always first and foremost a live CD.
Compare that to Puppy Linux, which aims to bring a modern desktop to older machines.

Quote seablade:

Also of note is supposedly DSL has their own package system as well called MyDSL, dont know to much about that.

MyDSL is really just a special APT repository and a nice GUI frontend to that repository. The MyDSL packages are specifically chosen to be light on resources and suited to the DSL ethos. Every MyDSL package has been stripped of optional extras and optimised for speed, this means some of the packages lag a version or two behind the latest version of the package.

If you want to use KDE, then I don't think DSL is the distro for you. It uses Flux by default, and installing a heavy weight WM like KDE or GNOME is not recommended. I can say from experience that DSL's achilles heal is upgrading between versions, and I think when it comes to upgrade, you could run into trouble.
But it can be done, there's some instructions on the DSL site about hooking into standard debian repos and getting the packages you need.

Puppy Linux looks interesting, but it's not based on KNOPPIX/Debian like DSL is. It's built from scratch and from what I can see, doesn't use APT or any other major packaging system. I have to say, my only experiences with Puppy weren't very good and it always seemed a poor second to DSL for old machines and speed.
Nonetheless, give it a try, it might be best for you.

--------------------
Neowin - Where Unprofessional Journalism Looks Better

Baldo
posting's fun

Re: DSL need help to install on pentium 2 PC to use as a backup storage machine. new [Re: Smithee]
      #335206 - 06/08/06 09:14 PM
OK story so far.

I tired various versions of puppy and oly managed to get one of them working. I wanted Puppy KDE but that did not work on my machine out of the box.

Anyhow; going back to why I am doing this on this old machine: I want to use it as a back up device and only as aback up device. I do not need speed or performance as long as it backs up my other files I am happy.

I see that the KDAR backup utility will do what I want hence my reason for wanting a KDE distto.

--------------------

seablade

#335241 - 06/08/06 10:55 PM
Quote:

Anyhow; going back to why I am doing this on this old machine: I want to use it as a back up device and only as aback up device. I do not need speed or performance as long as it backs up my other files I am happy.

I am a bit confused on this... You want it to act as a server to keep backup copies of files on? Or you want it to backup your files on other computers onto another medium?

If the first one, install Ubuntu Server and use rsync or samba and see how that works for you?

kdar is a FE for dar which I was under the impression would create a backup archive of files you give it, which seem redundant to run on a server that is acting as the backup medium for other computers, which is my confusion.

Seablade

Baldo
posting's fun

#335322 - 07/08/06 09:47 AM
Seablade, my apologies, let me see if I can be a bit clearer.

I have 3 PCs used regularly, that have data files. I also have an old Pentium 2 machine.

I want to put in a new 160G HDD into the pentium 2 machine and store backups (of data files from the other 3 machines) on the new 160G HDD. I could just have XP running on this old machine but I would rather not.

The only job that the Pentium two will be doing is copying data files from the other 3 PCs onto the 160G HDD. The utility that I thought I would use is Kdar.

Kdar whould enable me to do incremental backups ie only copy files that are newly created or changed since the last back up, it can also slice the backup files to whatever size I want, so maybe 4.7G at a time to be burnt onto DVD.

I want a machine that is reliable and stable, hence wanting to use a Linux distro.

I just want the machine to do that one job. As fun as it is getting this thing to work I really do not have a great deal of time to tinker with it. I just want to set it up to do this one task and leave it alone to do that task.

I have not yet bought the 160G drive because I want to get the machine up an running first to make sure that it will be possible. I would hope that once working it will be a realtivly straight forward matter to add another Hdd.

As the machine will only do this one task I thought a basic slimed down distro woudl be ideal for it; DSL, Puppy Linux. I do not need the overhead of all the bells and whistles of a state of the art distro.

Hope that helps, let me know if I can clarify what I am after any further.

Cheers.

--------------------

seablade

#335448 - 07/08/06 02:29 PM
Quote:

The only job that the Pentium two will be doing is copying data files from the other 3 PCs onto the 160G HDD. The utility that I thought I would use is Kdar.

KDar is probably the wrong utility for what you want, though I assume your other computers run some form of Unix Like OS to allow you to run KDar on it? Or are you planning on running KDar from the server, and having the other computers setup sharing the folders(via SMB) you want to backup to the server(In which case the same strategy could be used for below, but otherwise feel free to ignore me;)?

At any rate here is my suggestion in as far as that is concerned. rsync

rsync (Stands for Remote Sync I believe) can be set up as an automated task, is availiable for unix based OSes(Though in Windows it needs CygWin apparently thus means depending on your setup you may not wish to use this). What is does is essentially synchronizes two locations, so if you have a rsync server set up, and update the files locally, and have, for example, rsync set up to run on shutdown, it would automatically update the files on the server.

The difference between these is that rsync wont keep the old files, whereas dar(And thusly KDar) will. rsync just keeps the up to date files, which from reading your posts sounds like what you would want.

The other advantage to this is rsync needs no GUI to run, so you could run a server without X.

Now note I haven't set this up myself yet, overall it seems fairly straightforward and is on my list of things I will be setting up when I get home, lots of fun tutorials on the matter. The real catch for me has been getting my wife onto Mac instead of Windows;) Now I am free to play...

Seablade

seablade

#335449 - 07/08/06 02:34 PM
By the way, have you tried Ubuntu to see if that will run? Chances are it might, and if oyu are having to many problems that you dont want to deal with, it may be easier to do that. As it would only be running a single task it shouldnt be too hard on it and I have used an AMD K7 500 for a server with a regular Ubuntu Install.

Actually come to think of it, depending on how you are running KDar, or planning on it, it may be better for you to set it up as a cron script, skip kdar, and use the commandline dar to do what you want say every hour or so. More things for you to think about to confuse you, sorry. I am only so good at doing things from afar but great at suggesting ways to complicate matters;)

Seablade

Baldo
posting's fun

Re: DSL need help to install on pentium 2 PC to use as a backup storage machine. [Re: seablade]
      #335478 - 07/08/06 03:41 PM
There is a lot there Seablade.

I was of the impression that Kdar would do exactly what I want; increnetal backups, the ability to go back to any previously stored file, variable filesizes etc etc.

The other computers are windows and it is windows and Linux files that I want to backup.

The reason I would like to use Linux for the job is that I know Linux is tolerant of windows files but Windows is not tolerant of Linux files.

rsync would not be for me because that would only keep the latest version of a file, I would not be able t ogo back to a specific date/ version of a file.

I am reluctant to start setting up scripts to run in CLI mode because all I want is to set the machine up once and just leave it toget on with it 24/7, or whenever I switch it on.

I have managed to load ubuntu server on the machine but it does run very very slowly. If someone has ready made backup scripts that I can copy this might be a quick and easy way to go.

--------------------

*INACTIVE USER*

#335555 - 07/08/06 07:13 PM
I have been reading though this diagonally so I may have missed something.

Like Seablade I get the impression that what you want is a machine that actively scans your "working" pc's and pulls the new files from them to build a remote backup. On the other hand, you seem to be setting it up as a kind of "nas".

Anyway, some pointers to rsync and using it to backup audio files: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8590

--------------------
Expert in non-working solutions

seablade

#335693 - 08/08/06 12:53 AM
Quote Baldo:

There is a lot there Seablade.

I was of the impression that Kdar would do exactly what I want; increnetal backups, the ability to go back to any previously stored file, variable filesizes etc etc.

The other computers are windows and it is windows and Linux files that I want to backup.

The reason I would like to use Linux for the job is that I know Linux is tolerant of windows files but Windows is not tolerant of Linux files.

rsync would not be for me because that would only keep the latest version of a file, I would not be able t ogo back to a specific date/ version of a file.

I am reluctant to start setting up scripts to run in CLI mode because all I want is to set the machine up once and just leave it toget on with it 24/7, or whenever I switch it on.

I have managed to load ubuntu server on the machine but it does run very very slowly. If someone has ready made backup scripts that I can copy this might be a quick and easy way to go.

Ok The incremental backups is the catch, you are correct in that dar is what you would want for that.

Maybe I am unknowing of a feature of Kdar, will that automatically set up a timer to backup your files, or how do you plan on running that?

The reason I ask, is typically I would be looking at CLI scripts and Cron for a machine I would want to set up once and leave, having it email me status reports so that I can keep an eye out in case something does go wrong(In fact this is similar to a server I am currently designing to set upw hen I get home in a couple week for my house) To me this is usually much more stable than running a GUI.

Are you planning on sharing your files off your desktops to your backup machine? Or else how are you planning on getting access to those files from kDar?

Part of this I think is my misunderstanding how you are planning on implementing the actual backup mechanism, as how you are doing it seems to be a bit confusing to me(But should work dont get me wrong;)

In as far as backup scripts, it is hard to provide them for you as it depends largely on how you are accessing the files? Even so as I mentioned before, I have passing knowledge of dar, but not personaly experience as of yet, though now that you are mentioning it I may look into it for a PDC server I mentioned before that I am setting up.

In other words gimme a couple of weeks and I can probably give even more detailed information;)

Seablade

Edited by seablade (08/08/06 12:55 AM)

Baldo
posting's fun

#336209 - 09/08/06 08:02 AM
"Part of this I think is my misunderstanding how you are planning on implementing the actual backup mechanism, as how you are doing it seems to be a bit confusing to me."

That, Seablade is due to me not explaining what I want in a manner that is clear, sorry about that. LEts see if we can rectify that.

"Are you planning on sharing your files off your desktops to your backup machine?"

Yes. I would expect to access those files from one of the other computers. Being backups, I would only ever expect to access them occasionally.

"Or else how are you planning on getting access to those files from kDar? "

Not having used Kdar, I am guessing here, I beleive there is a restore function there that enables me to restore files at a specific date. Remember this is only going to be done rarely, once retrieved the file would then be taken to the working machine to be worked on.

I could actually do all this from XP but I am not 100% sure of its stability. In any case I fancy learning a little as I tinker with Linux (but see my other post on this forum about my frustration as a Linux lonelyheart).

BTW, thanks for that link - I'll read it on the way home tonight.

--------------------

Edited by Baldo (09/08/06 08:10 AM)

seablade

#336590 - 09/08/06 07:48 PM
Quote:

Yes. I would expect to access those files from one of the other computers. Being backups, I would only ever expect to access them occasionally.

Ok then if I am understanding you here is your basic setup you are looking for...

Primary Machines running whatever OS...

Backup machine running Linux. On this Machine you will need:

SAMBA Client, to allow access to the other machine's drives that you share
SMB Mounts in your fstab so that those machine's drives are mounted on your server upon startup to keep you from having to remount it every time
A seperate partition/drive for your backup files. This is just for sake of seperation

Problems I can see with this:

1. When you turn off one of your other machines, I am not sure if dynamic mounting can be done thorugh SAMBA. Ok let me rephrase it, I KNOW it CAN be done, I DONT know how to do it(Little learning project for me I suppose). This will cause problems if not done dynamically as al lof the sudden those mounts on your server dont exist and your server doesnt know that. This means doing scheduled backups might fail unless all your machines are on at that time.

1a. Or do you plan on turning off your server until you do the actual backup? I had been assuming you would be leaving it on, but I just realised that might not nessecarily be the case. This would especially save on power costs if all this machine is doing is backups...

2. I am not sure I see the need for kdar myself, I understand it is an easier interface, but it might better serve you to learn the commandline dar that kdar depends on(As I mentioned kdar is nothing but a GUI to dar). This way you can do the above in one of several ways...

2a. If you are turning the machine on and off, you can have it automatically do a backup of all your machines(Assuming they are on) simply by putting the dar commandline in your /etc/rc.d/boot.local

2b. GUI requires KDE which requires X, which all of the above take up resources you dont really need for this.

2c. You can put the backup in a cron script to do a scheduled backup every night or whatever if you needed, if you are planning on kepeing the server on, but see above note about all machines would have to be on.

At the moment it is looking to me like for this to work you would want to have the backup happen automatically on turning the machine on, so that you have to go around, turn on all your machines when you want to do a backup, once they are booted up, turn on your server, it will automatically do the backup, once complete you would turn the server off again and turn all the other machines off again.

To be honest this is a somewhat backwards way of doing things, but we can get htis up and going and then start a thread on a better way of doing things that requires less interaction from you afterwards;)

At any rate, dar would take a bit more learning intially but can be used to set up a less maintenence intensive task. But at the very least you can keep going with kDar(In which case we need to start looking in detail at some of the errors you have been getting installing some of those lightweight distros, so start posting specific error messages and problems and when they happen;) if you wish for something a bit simpler. This would require you to manually activate the backup process each time, but other than that not much difference I dont beleive.

Seablade

Baldo
posting's fun

#336816 - 10/08/06 11:10 AM
Thanks for your advice on this Seablade.

Lets go through this slowly.

1) It looks as though this will take a bit of time for me to do so, I should get a new HDD and backup using windows utility becaue at the moment I have no backups away from the main machine.

Quote:

Ok then if I am understanding you here is your basic setup you are looking for...

Primary Machines running whatever OS...

Backup machine running Linux. On this Machine you will need:

Agreed, if you say so.

Quote:

1a. Or do you plan on turning off your server until you do the actual backup? I had been assuming you would be leaving it on, but I just realised that might not nessecarily be the case. This would especially save on power costs if all this machine is doing is backups...

I think this is the way I would like to go. I do not want to leave the machine on all the time.

Quote:

At the moment it is looking to me like for this to work you would want to have the backup happen automatically on turning the machine on, so that you have to go around, turn on all your machines when you want to do a backup, once they are booted up, turn on your server, it will automatically do the backup, once complete you would turn the server off again and turn all the other machines off again.

I would agree, this is exactly how I would like to do things. The machine is only on when I need to do backups, it automatically does them when I boot up the machine.

As far as getting thsi going is concerned; I hope that I do nto have to spend too much timeon setting this up (that's why I wanted to use KDar, quick easy set up & leave alone to get on with the job). I already have my hands full getting my Linux DAW set up to work...

Baldo.

--------------------

seablade

#337031 - 10/08/06 07:02 PM
Quote:

As far as getting thsi going is concerned; I hope that I do nto have to spend too much timeon setting this up (that's why I wanted to use KDar, quick easy set up & leave alone to get on with the job). I already have my hands full getting my Linux DAW set up to work...

Ok then. Just keep in mind you are approaching new territory even for me with dar, so this may not be the quickest thing in the world for me to help you through unfortunatly as I learn while helping.

You already have Ubuntu Server set up and running correct(Even if slow)?

The first step would then be to set up your SAMBA services so that on bootup that machine mounts your shared folders from each of your other computers. How much detail do you need me to go into with this?

Well for starters you need to make sure your folders are shared from each of your computers. Check first with your windows machines to make sure they see each other like they are supposed to, then use smbtree on the linux machine to ensure that it is seeing them.

The next step would be to attempt to connect and authenticate with smbclient. If this works the next step is to then mount that using I believe it is smbmount, however my PowerBook running OSX doesnt seem to have this command so try your tab autocompletion and using man on your linux box to figure out what the correct command is. It may actually be integrated with the mount command now, I am not sure as its been a little while since i dealt with it.

The last step after all the above is working etc would be to add the appropriate entry into /etc/fstab using smb as the fs type.

If you need more details on any of these steps please post up which step. If you are having problems with any of the steps, please post up your error messages as well as general info about what step etc;)

After all this is done we can tackle dar which will be a bit more involved as I have to learn the commandline for it as well while working on exxplaining it. From a quick glance it does look like the initial backup we will need to do by hand(For sake of ease), but the differential backups we can put in your startup scripts.

Seablade

mattneighbour
minus nine

Loc: York, UK
      #359640 - 27/09/06 01:51 PM
I feel I ought to point out the existence of rdiff-backup.

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

This uses rsync to provide incremental backups, I use it on my fileserver, part of a script run daily that goes:

rdiff-backup /filestore /backupdisk

It creates a directory /backupdisk/rdiff-backup-data which contains all the reverse diffs and also session statistics about each backup operation. It has commands to restore to a certain date or whatever, all configurable of course.

Matt

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor, TESTER33,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 5582

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media