Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
imalrightjack

Logic or Cubase?
      #340884 - 18/08/06 03:53 PM
Hi all

I am thinking of buying a Mac and, if so, will use Cubase or Logic. To record mostly analogue instruments, which would you recommend?

Thanks!

Steve

--------------------
It's Our Christmas Song (Keep X-Factor Off Number One - charity Christmas single

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: Logic or Cubase? new [Re: imalrightjack]
      #340891 - 18/08/06 04:00 PM
I would recommend Logic.

imalrightjack

Re: Logic or Cubase? new [Re: desmond]
      #340896 - 18/08/06 04:05 PM
For compatability reasons? More suitable for analogue instruments?

--------------------
It's Our Christmas Song (Keep X-Factor Off Number One - charity Christmas single

Beebman

Loc: London
      #340900 - 18/08/06 04:14 PM
I'd also go for Logic, got my copy for a bargain price of £300 of gumtree. Check this out, £285 for 7.2 off ebay, if you dont trust this guy there are loads of places you can get it second hand for cheap. Considering how much you get in the box, it really is great value. The extra content dvd you get with it is awesome, the effects are also great (Space Designer, Stereo spread etc), it looks great, relatively easy to use.

When you say analouge instruments, I assume guitar, bass etc? If so, then yeah Logic is great for that, I record my guitar and bass in via a pre amp. I mainly use guitar rig or amplitube for my guitar effects etc - top quality both of them. For my bass, just vintage warmer or for some good effects, the PSP Nitro.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/APPLE-LOGIC-7-7-2-PRO-BRAND-NEW-FREE-U-K-SHIPPING_W0 QQitemZ160019563378QQihZ006QQcategoryZ23784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

Edited by Beebman (18/08/06 04:17 PM)

Mr Tom

Loc: Herefordshire
      #340901 - 18/08/06 04:15 PM
Greenfeld, you'll probably just find that most people will recommend the one they use because it's what they're used to and so naturally seems to be the best to them.

What software were you using on the PC? And what exactly do you mean by "analogue instruments"?

Tom

--------------------
My Little Project

imalrightjack

Re: Logic or Cubase? new [Re: Beebman]
      #340906 - 18/08/06 04:22 PM
Thanks for that - sounds like Logic is the way forward for a new iMac.

--------------------

imalrightjack

#340907 - 18/08/06 04:24 PM
Sorry, I'll clarify...I mean guitars/voice/banjo/mandolin through an analogue pre-amp!

I use Cubase SX 2 but I'm not a vastly experienced user, so it's no hardship to change.

Mr Tom

Loc: Herefordshire
      #340923 - 18/08/06 04:53 PM
Quote greenfeld69:

Sorry, I'll clarify...I mean guitars/voice/banjo/mandolin through an analogue pre-amp!

I use Cubase SX 2 but I'm not a vastly experienced user, so it's no hardship to change.

Well clearly both Logic and Cubase are easily up to the task of recording your instruments, so I guess you need to read through the detailed spec of each program to see if either one has a particular feature that really appeals to you.

Logic does, to me at least, look the more professional of the two (though I'm a Logic user so I would prefer it!). And you may take some comfort from it being owned by Apple so it is usually quick to take up new Apple technologies.

If you are used to Cubase though (even only a bit) then be prepared for Logic to seem like it was designed by control-freak aliens with no concept of 'logic'.

--------------------
My Little Project

desmond

Re: Logic or Cubase? new [Re: ]
      #340954 - 18/08/06 05:35 PM
Quote Mr Tom:

be prepared for Logic to seem like it was designed by control-freak aliens with no concept of 'logic'.

...or as we Logic users prefer to think of it: "a *better* concept of 'logic'..."

Roger Starr

Loc: The Netherlands
      #341038 - 18/08/06 08:58 PM
Since you already have and use Cubase AND you are mostly recording analogue instruments, stay straight with Cubase I would say! Audio is better in Cubase and overall more intuitive. Also, if you buy a Mac and it is a new one it's all Intel and then you can use XP or OSX on the fly and have best of both worlds. I personally wait 'till early 2007 because then it said the MacPro comes with the new OSX (Leopard) including probably Microsofts Vista too and standard built in the possibility to run both and switch on the fly (boothcamp). Cubase runs fine on OSX tho' better on XP is generally said. I prefer Cubase above LogicPro on midi and audio, but LogicPro is for sure a much more complete solution for songwriting and production if it comes to the really very complete and pro set of plugs. If you were on songwriting and combining midi with some audio I would definitely recommend LogicPro. But in your case I would stay with Cubase. I don't know why you want to buy a Mac, but a good configured PC with Cubase is just killing stable. On the other hand, the new generation Macs are just great, not only great looking but now with Intel very, very fast too! Anyway, Cubase or Logic, both are good options on the Mac and with the fact you can use as well XP (Vista) and OSX, these Macs gives you even more freedom as ever before possible on whatever PC!

Regards,

Roger

G-Doubleyou

#341068 - 18/08/06 10:02 PM
Also unless you get a G5, or a MacIntel(and run it under XP) I would not attempt to SX on a Mac. It is the official G4 killer, it has the highest system requirements of all the mac DAWs,

SX is currently the only major music app that doesn't have MacIntel support.

My copy of SX sits happily on my PC where it performs well.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

blueintheface

#341106 - 19/08/06 12:09 AM
If you are buying a new Mac it will be Intel-based.

A version of Cubase (SX4) that will run natively on these Mac's is not expected for some time. It hasn't even been announced.

Logic runs now.

However you have other options - like ProTools or Digital Performer 5, for example.

imalrightjack

#341176 - 19/08/06 07:59 AM
Does anybody have any thoughts on ProTools or Digital Performer 5? I am siding with Logic on Mac right now.

--------------------

blueintheface

#341188 - 19/08/06 08:40 AM
How about another topic 'Logic or ProTools'? and then perhaps 'Cubase or Digital Performer?', possibly followed by 'Digital Performer or ProTools?' and finally 'ProTools or Cubase?' . . .

LOL

If you're just doing audio recording, I'd seriously recommend a look at ProTools. You'll need Digidesign or M•Audio hardware, though.

DP has its fans too. See review in this month's (otherwise seriously shabby) SOS.

mcguirk

Loc: Wendover, Bucks
      #341230 - 19/08/06 10:21 AM
If all you want to do is record "analogue" instrument performances, and you're already running Cubase SX, it seems a bit silly to spend £300+ to switch to Logic.

Hell, if you didn't already have DAW software, I'd recommend just getting Cubase SE, as it's cheap and would be more than adequate for what you want to do.

If you switch from Cubase to Logic, expect a fairly steep learning curve - they way they function with regard to the mixer / environment in particular is completely different.

I'd say the primary advantages with going to Logic are that it's now a single-platform DAW, so support and development is focused on the single version, and that the plugins you get bundled with Logic are *superb*.

I'm a long-time Cubase user (although now almost completely migrated to ProTools due to getting a "proper" job operating it) but I can honestly say that I've long been green with envy of the built-in Logic plugins.

Seriously though - think carefully before shelling out big money for features and plugins you might never use.

Edit : Just realised that by the sound of it you're currently using SX on a PC.

Edited by ant_chapman (19/08/06 10:22 AM)

Roger Starr

Loc: The Netherlands
      #341231 - 19/08/06 10:21 AM
Stay with what you have and wait till SX 4 is out and Logic is more upgraded and the first MacPro's are updated in probably early 2007. With SX on a PC you should be able to all that what you want with no problem at all. Then over a half year more will be clear on the direction and performance of the mentioned DAW's and the new MacPro's with these DAW's. I would go between SX or LogicPro...

Regards,

Roger

stormwatch

#341236 - 19/08/06 10:39 AM
got to be cubase, probably only a matter of time before apple decide to shaft mac logic users as they did pc logic users, or perhaps i'm just being cynical............surely not!!!

--------------------
TOO OLD TO ROCK N ROLL, TOO YOUNG TO DIE

tyler durden

Re: Logic or Cubase? new [Re: stormwatch]
      #341324 - 19/08/06 02:00 PM
I use both and would recommend Logic. However be prepared for a big learning curve, at first it will seem completely un-logical especially if you're used to cubase. Just try to get your head around the environment as early as possible then things will start to fall into place! It's a great DAW.

blueintheface

#341345 - 19/08/06 03:26 PM
People, people, people.

(Thinking of buying a new Mac) + (Cubase) = Dumb.

Cubase is not a Universal Binary app, and won't run properly on new Intel Mac's. This is unlikely to change for at least several months.

He could by a non-intel Mac, of course, but that's hardly where the smart money is either.

Stickybud

Loc: Bass Camp
Re: Logic or Cubase? new [Re: blueintheface]
      #341419 - 19/08/06 10:00 PM
Logic or Cubase?

pfffft, neither.

Ableton Live. Nuff said

imalrightjack

#341474 - 20/08/06 09:25 AM
Ableton Live? Why?

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3215

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media