Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
Firewire cards new
      #350557 - 07/09/06 01:06 PM
It's almost time for me to go shopping for a PCI firewire card and I know that this is a dangerous thing to do. Despite lots of posts about cards in this forum (I did try searching first - honest), I can't actually find any recommendations. I know that I should look for one with a TI chipset, but is this clearly marked on the packaging? Or is it a question of looking on the card? If so, what to look for and what to beware. I notice one post where someone got burned because the card had a TI chip on it, but not the right one.

I'm thinking of getting a 3port FW800 card - any problems with doing this? Or should I stick to FW400 for the time being?

Any chance of this going into the PC FAQ?

Or have I missed something blindingly obvious again...?

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Peter C

Loc: London, England
Re: Firewire cards new [Re: Dave B]
      #350580 - 07/09/06 02:08 PM
Hi,

This is the most authoratative test I know of:
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/fw800alert.htm

Also... if you go with FW800 you should read this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

Peter

--------------------
PaQ

PaulD

Loc: Bristol UK
      #350581 - 07/09/06 02:10 PM
Hi
Have you got a 64-bit PCI/PCI-X slot, because the only 32-bit FW800 card I've tested (from Maplin) only sustained FW400 datra transfer speeds. It seems you need the long 64-bit slots (and a full length 64-bit card) for FW800 speeds.

CdnBcn

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Firewire cards [Re: Dave B]
      #350586 - 07/09/06 02:15 PM
FW800 cards are a great thing to have if you expect to integrate Firewire 800 devices. Most 1394b card include adapter cables for 1394a devices as part of the package bundle. As of now most FW800 devices are DV Cameras, some high performance external hard drives, and a particular line of soundcards from RME [only if more than 1 are used].

As far as a particular Firewire PCI card is concerned, personally I am more partial to making a selection by chipset and peripherals as opposed to a specific brand. Some premium manufacturers such as OrangeMicro, or Adaptec have some great products but you can find equally solid units made by lesser known manufacturers such as Startech [ www.startech.com ]. The Texas Instruments Firewire chipsets tends to be the most widely supported and most frequently suggested by manufacturers.

Cheers,

Tim

--------------------
www.gpsystems.ca

Dave B

#350691 - 07/09/06 05:48 PM
Cheers Chaps,

Peter - I thought that there was something on the RME site, but I hadn't found it before so that link is a life saver. Ta. It seems to confirm that the Lacie (which I'd been recommended elsewhere) is a good bet. Time to track one down (dabs are out of stock at the moment).

Ta all!

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

Koed

Loc: Delft,The Netherlands
      #350724 - 07/09/06 07:24 PM
I always found the Yamaha mLAN 1394 card compatiblity list very useful.

stube40

Re: Firewire cards new [Re: Koed]
      #350836 - 08/09/06 03:34 AM
This is quite topical for me, as I had a nightmare with finding a TI-based PCI card a few months back.

Basically, my MAudio 410-based system was full of pops and glitches. I had tried everything, except a TI-chipset firewire card.

Finding one was the next problem. The Adaptec Fireconnect 4300 had the TI-chipset up until March, after which it started shipping with VIA - hence, I nearly got my fingers burnt there.

In the end, I settled for a card aimed at video-applications, the ADS Pyro PCI 64 - it was sensibly priced and it finally cured all my pops and glitches (hooray!!).

I actually bought 2 of them because of the hassle I had to source them. Since then, I've rebuild my system around a D965LT Intel mohterboard which has on-board Firewire based on TI-chipset.

Hence, I now have 2 ADS Pyro Cards sitting doing nothing. I am quite happy to sell the unused one (still in the wrapper), but would choose to keep the used one for emergencies. If anyone's interested, just make me a sensible offer, else I'll keep them in case I ever have a multi-DAW setup.

Cheers,
Stuart.

Dave B

#353425 - 14/09/06 11:21 AM
Update : I ordered a Lacie FW400 card from their website the other day and it's just turned up. I am also sourcing their FW800 card (stocks ran out when I was looking but now they are back) to keep for later as the RME site reckons that they are ok as well.

I notice that my 400 card is a VIA chipset, but according to RME, this is fine. So I'll just have to hope that when my new gear arrives, it's been as well designed as the RME (or just get a FF800!!).

Time to rip the PC apart again ....

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

JOSE LUIS SOARES

Loc: porto
      #949903 - 28/10/11 12:18 AM
i´m interested TO BUY a firewire 400 PCI CARD CHIPSET TEXAS INSTRUMENTS for my RME FIREFACE 800 .
URGENT BECAUSE I´M CONTACTING OTHER PEOPLE. THANK YOU.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4435

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media