Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
monosyllabic

What's a ground loop?
      #450005 - 20/04/07 04:50 PM
I've noticed the signature on Martin Walker's posts and am interested in what exactly a ground loop is?

I assume it's interference of some sort (like when you run a cable near to an AC mains current and you get a hum at 60hz, 120, 180 etc...). Does it usually affect turntables also?

If someone could explain it that would be great!

SJ.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME
posting's fun

Loc: Manchester, UK and Den Haag, N...
Re: What's a ground loop? new [Re: monosyllabic]
      #450014 - 20/04/07 05:22 PM
Rather than rewrite what has been written many many times (!), here's a link to an explanation by our esteemed Technical Editor...
Hugh on Earth Loops

--------------------
TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME

monosyllabic

Re: What's a ground loop? new [Re: TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME]
      #450039 - 20/04/07 06:43 PM
Cheers!

SJ.

monosyllabic

#450043 - 20/04/07 06:52 PM
I think I understood that. Seems like the lesson is not to mess with the earth in guitar amps.

SJ.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #451108 - 23/04/07 05:28 PM
You shouldn't mess with the earth in any mains appliance Simon

The largest number of ground loop problems nowadays seem to occur with laptop computers when running on mains voltage (I set up a dedicated sticky thread about this topic in the PC Music forum, which you can read at www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=222392 ).

Unlike the previous more typical 'analogue' ground loop problems which result in continuous regular low-level hum/buzz, ground loops in digital/computer systems give rise to rather more annoying high-pitched 'hash' which can vary when you move your mouse, when your screen graphics get updated, and when your hard drives are accessed.

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

monosyllabic

#451205 - 23/04/07 08:41 PM
I run an Apple laptop set up and I've never noticed anything. Though, I have found that my laptop is building up a lot of static in the metal case. Could that be an earth problem?

SJ.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

#451570 - 24/04/07 04:23 PM
If by static you mean that the laptop's metalwork feels furry/tingly when you stroke it, it's not earthed at the mains and the metalwork is therefore 'floating'. As long as its PSU is double insulated then you should be perfectly safe, but that feeling should disappear as soon as you connect the case to any other grounded object.

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Jeraldo

#451689 - 24/04/07 09:16 PM
Quote Simon Mitchell:

I've noticed the signature on Martin Walker's posts and am interested in what exactly a ground loop is?

SJ.

Open a beer and drink to your good fortune of not having to know what a ground loop is! Many would consider you fortunate!

And besides, Martin will trace it for you.......

monosyllabic

Re: What's a ground loop? new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #451930 - 25/04/07 12:12 PM
Quote Martin Walker:

If by static you mean that the laptop's metalwork feels furry/tingly when you stroke it, it's not earthed at the mains and the metalwork is therefore 'floating'. As long as its PSU is double insulated then you should be perfectly safe, but that feeling should disappear as soon as you connect the case to any other grounded object.

Martin

That's exactly the feeling I mean. The feeling actually disapears when I disconnect the main adaptor. Sometimes it's not there as well when it is connected to peripherals like USB hard drives. Is it worth me taking it to an Apple shop? It needs to go anyway because the CPU whines all the time and the DVD drive has started doing silly things. Thank got for warrantys.

SJ.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

#451993 - 25/04/07 02:06 PM
That feeling will disappear when you disconnect the mains adaptor, because the metalwork is no longer even vaguely connected to the mains supply. It will also disappear when your laptop is connected to any peripheral (such as a USB hard drive) that is itself earthed via its mains lead.

I doubt that taking it to the Apple shop will prove fruitful - my PC laptop does exactly the same thing, and as I said previously it's perfectly safe as long as your laptop's PSU is double-insulated (look for the square inside a square logo). In fact, some musicians dream of having 2-wire mains leads on their laptop PSUs, as this removes a major cause of ground loops!

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

*INACTIVE USER*

Re: What's a ground loop? new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #452135 - 25/04/07 08:05 PM
Actually that feeling means that the EMI caps are putting a very high impedance 127V on your case. It isn't dangerous But it means that the psu is designed to be connected to the earth and it isn't.

In the psu EMI filter, there are capacitors that are connectoed to earth from live and neutral. If the earth isn't connected, you get a capacitive voltage divider that puts about half the line voltage on the unconnected earth terminal. Since in most laptops this is connected to circuit ground and case you get the feeling of static.

I doubt those psu's are double isolated.

--------------------
Expert in non-working solutions

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1736

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media