Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
krys baxter

Advice on drum samples new
      #469467 - 05/06/07 12:17 PM
any advice from anyone on drum sampling. i have recently been using WAV files of drum patterns an glueing them together. which has been very successfull for me, but im starting to get a bit bored with the files i have got. im not very good with drum maps and find the cut an paste method more preferable. im using the pro sessions files from m-audio at the mo. but im wondering if there are any other sample library's out there. any advice would be very helpfull.

krys

--------------------
www.myspace.com/krysbaxter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
CdnBcn

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Advice on drum samples new [Re: krys baxter]
      #469477 - 05/06/07 12:51 PM
For ease of use and quality of sounds the Toontrack EZdrummer stuff is great. Drag and drop GUI with lots of editiable grooves, styles, and kits. It is especially fun when bundled with the EZX stuff that is now available. I think Paul White just reviewed it in the June isse of SOS.

http://www.toontrack.com/ezdrummer.asp

--------------------
www.gpsystems.ca

leslawrenson

Loc: Outside Mothercare
      #469482 - 05/06/07 01:04 PM
Krys, do you typically work with loops, or individual kits?

If the former, you might want to try making up your own kits by chopping up the loops into their constituent parts. I do this all the time, as I will occasionally hear a great snare hit, but have no need for the rest of the loop.

Also, it does help to have a really good wav editor. I use Wavelab. With it, you can do all sorts of things to the loops and/or hits, including re-tunig, stretching, shortening, adding fx, etc.

As for hits, I've spent many years accumulating a vast collection of cymbal crashes, splashes, rolls, etc. I find the cymbal sounds the most difficult to get right using samples.

Does anyone know of a good resource to quality and varied cymbal sounds? I'm always on the look out for more cymbal samples.

guy999

Loc: Newcastle / Rugby
      #469493 - 05/06/07 01:40 PM
Cymbals are horrible to sample and program because in real life they sound completely different when you play them if they are already moving and ringing, add to that the fact that each cymbal is unique, and also the there are a million variables when you hit one with a stick, and you have a very hard job programming realistic cymbals. I reckon the best bet is to mic a kit (just with overheads I suppose) and record some cymbal lines.

leslawrenson

Loc: Outside Mothercare
Re: Advice on drum samples new [Re: guy999]
      #469495 - 05/06/07 01:45 PM
Quote guy999:

Cymbals are horrible to sample and program because in real life they sound completely different when you play them if they are already moving and ringing, add to that the fact that each cymbal is unique, and also the there are a million variables when you hit one with a stick, and you have a very hard job programming realistic cymbals. I reckon the best bet is to mic a kit (just with overheads I suppose) and record some cymbal lines.

And, indeed, that is just what I have done on occasion. When I had a better studio (ie better sound-proofing) I even had a crash cymbal permenantly set-up so that I could record the thing live into a track.

Even today, I record percussive hits and tambos live into a track to add a bit of spice to a groove.

But cymbals continue to be a problem...

trackstar

Re: Advice on drum samples new [Re: leslawrenson]
      #469503 - 05/06/07 02:02 PM
Quote leslawrenson:

Ditto. I tried multisamples, drum machines, nicking from breaks but they never sound right. I make dance music (breaks), but breaks are no good cos theres rarely a clean hit and when there is its only one so once sequenced it sounds like a drum machine anyway!

whenever I ask about hats everyone just says its all in the velocities, but I never get it right. I've wasted weekends programming hats with no luck whatsoever. I'm thinking its all in the processing, reverbs etc. I dunno but my quest for decent sounding hats continues....

I think loops are the answer, I dont like any of the hat loops that come with stylus rmx, does anyone know of a good sample cd with just hat loops?

krys baxter

Re: Advice on drum samples [Re: trackstar]
      #469510 - 05/06/07 02:20 PM
Quote trackstar:

Quote leslawrenson:

I think loops are the answer, I dont like any of the hat loops that come with stylus rmx, does anyone know of a good sample cd with just hat loops?

im using the m-audio pro sessions at the mo and the full version has loads of stuff
try here for info> http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.subfamily&ID=soundlibraries

--------------------

trackstar

#469518 - 05/06/07 02:33 PM
Quote krys baxter:

im using the m-audio pro sessions at the mo and the full version has loads of stuff
try here for info> http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.subfamily&ID=soundlibraries

any one inparticular that includes a load of good hat loops?

guy999

Loc: Newcastle / Rugby
      #469534 - 05/06/07 03:40 PM
When I move back home from uni in a couple of weeks im going to be recording a load of drum loops and samples. Ill make sure to do a load of solo cymbal and hihat lines and post a link or something so you can download. Can't gaurantee quality though as im a poor poor student.

krys baxter

Re: Advice on drum samples new [Re: CdnBcn]
      #469605 - 05/06/07 07:07 PM
just had alook at the ezdrummer stuff and it looks very straight forward. it kinda looks like the loop machine on logic pro but maybe better. pity they dont do a demo version so you can try it out. one thing i did notice on the preview film is that the files did not seem to be seamless with each other. does anybody else use this wot is the general opinion of this software.....

krys

--------------------

CdnBcn

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      #472074 - 12/06/07 02:51 PM
EZdrummer is very easy and the quality is quite good. Some of the expansion packs are really quite impressive. Another possibility if you want even greater control is Addictive Drums which does offer a Demo for download on their website.

--------------------
www.gpsystems.ca

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1631

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media