Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
dickiefunk

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Vocal Mic £160-£200 new
      #472296 - 13/06/07 07:14 AM
I have been reading lots of reviews and have put up a couple of posts about vocal mics before and have found that these mics seem to be highly rated. Which would you recommend out of these?
I already have a Rode NT1a and Studio Projects B1 with a M-Audio DMP3 and SP VTB1 pres. My budget is £160-£200 max!

The CAD Trion is a tube mic so I'm wondering if a tube mic might be a better option for a different colour? I'm mainly going to be using the mic for vocals.
Which vocal mic?
You may choose only one
ADK Vienna
Audio Technica 4040
CAD M179
CAD Trion

Votes accepted from (13/06/07 12:00 AM) to (No end specified)
View Poll results

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
vetsdiggy

Re: Vocal Mic £160-£200 new [Re: dickiefunk]
      #472322 - 13/06/07 08:32 AM
if you want a tube mic for that sort of price, have a lok at the red5 web site. they are really very good mics for the price, often overlooked because they only sell from there own web site, and dont distribute through anyone else. but that cuts out the 'middle man' ,as it were, which is what keeps the price down.
i hear very good thigs about the valve in the range.
may be worth a look.
of the mic's youve listed, the audio tec is a nice all rounder.
it makes sense to try mic's and compare them befor you buy, because it can be very subjective, but it may be tough to persuade your dealer to let you take some at this sort of price piont. worth asking though.
hope thats of maybe some use.

regards

steve

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #472329 - 13/06/07 08:49 AM
It's nice to be in the majority for once! I'm one of the three (100%) who voted for the AT4040. I'd advise against getting the more modern mics as they have a slightly hyped top end which can leave the vocals sounding nasty. The AT mics are a nicer, more even tone to them which is more 'neutral' so it won't flatter but then neither will it detract from the sound. Which is why so many of us have AT4033s - they were great mics for the money a few years ago.

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Humphreysbogort

#472396 - 13/06/07 11:18 AM
tbon sct800 from thoman? I have one.. nice warm sound, quite different to lots of other mics around at the moment.

Shambolic Charm

#472408 - 13/06/07 11:34 AM
I love my oktava mk319 thomman are knocking them out for about £100

--------------------
www.myspace.com/shambolic-charm

Lodious

Loc: East Midlands, UK
Re: Vocal Mic £160-£200 new [Re: Dave B]
      #472414 - 13/06/07 11:48 AM
Quote Dave B:

Which is why so many of us have AT4033s - they were great mics for the money a few years ago.

Have AT4033's been discontinued? I was thinking of getting one

--------------------
I like people, it's my friends I can't stand - Larry David.
http://www.myspace.com/lodious

Dave B

#472480 - 13/06/07 02:24 PM
DV advertise having 4033s in stock for £165.99 so even if they are discontinued, they are still available. And still nice little mics.

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

hoppy

Loc: S.Wales
      #472571 - 13/06/07 07:59 PM
I've been using the Red5 RV15 valve mic for a couple of years now. It's great for most voices but is prone to be a bit sibilant for others.
Good value for money though.

Ronnie Wibbley

Loc: Stuck behind a tractor.
      #472604 - 13/06/07 08:54 PM
AFAIK there are no plans to discontinue the AT4033a; what the poster may have meant is that they are not being discounted as aggressively as they were a couple of years ago, when you could pick them up for silly money. Still good value though IMO.

--------------------
Produced by Fred Quimby

Dave B

#472693 - 14/06/07 07:27 AM
I'm getting old. I know it and can prove it : A nice little condenser mic is being sold for under £170 (I still remember when it was about 400!) and people don't consider that silly money!!

Whilst it may not set the world on fire, there have been a large number of good recordings done with this mic. Alan Parsons himself would use it as first choice when assesing vocalists / mics and claimed that a good few of his tracks retained it as the vocal mic. Good enough for Alan ... good enough for me!

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
Re: Vocal Mic £160-£200 new [Re: Dave B]
      #472697 - 14/06/07 07:55 AM
And the AT is a fairly decent mic. in its own right and not trying to copy someone else.

At this end of the price range, for this type of. mic. the AT is always a good choice.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

Loc: Where the black rocks stand gu...
      #472744 - 14/06/07 09:30 AM
I have an at4033 too and it's great for most things but can be a little sensitive to mouth noises on some people. Have you got a Shure SM58? If not, that should be in your mic box immediately. And they're about £70.

--------------------
"The man who questions opinions is wise. The man who quarrels with facts is a fool." Frank Garbutt, inventor & industrialist

Lodious

Loc: East Midlands, UK
      #472751 - 14/06/07 09:54 AM
The 4033 and 4040 are the same price at DV, would the 4040 not be the better bet? I always thought the 4040 was the next mic up the range?

--------------------
I like people, it's my friends I can't stand - Larry David.
http://www.myspace.com/lodious

Dan B

Loc: London
Re: Vocal Mic £160-£200 new [Re: Lodious]
      #472793 - 14/06/07 11:26 AM
Hi,
I've had an AT4033a for nearly 10 years (back when they cost more like £350). Good mic. Interstingly in the SOS review, the CAD-M179 is described as being a better mic. And they can be had for about £150 ish (incl shockmount) these days. I'd be tempted by one (indeed I am!), if only because it also gives you the flexibility of continuously variably polar patterns - which can be handy for different sound options. Hell, you could even MS mic your vocals (some do!) using your other mic.

D

dickiefunk

Re: Vocal Mic £160-£200 [Re: dickiefunk]
      #472821 - 14/06/07 12:31 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm surprised that the CAD Trion 8000 hasn't got a mention as it is designed primarily for vocals(is this because it's not as good as the others or is it because no-one has had any experience with it?). This mic costs £399 at Digital Village but UK Pro Audio are selling it for £199!!!
Also, the guys over at " The Listening Sessions " said that the ADK Vienna mk2 is the best budget LDC out there so I'm surprised this has only had one vote?

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

ghr

Loc: Cardiff, Wales, UK
      #472953 - 14/06/07 06:30 PM
Ahh but the Vienna II is a different mic all together!

Costs rather a lot more:

Click

Gareth

Arpangel

#473064 - 14/06/07 11:24 PM
"Vocal Mic between £10,000 and £30,000 ? any recommendations ?

Tony.

JosephR

Re: Vocal Mic £160-£200 new [Re: Shambolic Charm]
      #473318 - 15/06/07 01:17 PM
Quote:

I love my oktava mk319 thomman are knocking them out for about £100

I agree, they're very under-rated without any of the nasty sibilance and tizziness of other mics in that price bracket,(Rode NT1a comes to mind)...but make sure it's the russian model and not a fake chinese one, (although if i recall Thomann do state whether it's russian or chinese). The standard MK319 does sound a bit "dark" and a bit "boxy" though.

I can also heartily recommend that you get it modded by Oktava Mod, Michael did the full works to one of mine for $249US and it now competes with "great" mics!!!

Although in reply to the original poster, i'd be inclined to go with an Audio Technica, i have lots of respect for the AT4033, (as many others have already mentioned), but i've never used the AT4040 so i can't comment on that.

For the record, my modded MK319 blew an AT4033 away in a head to head....they're quite similar sounding but the modded Oktava came off much better! However, a modded Oktava would work out at about £250 all in though, (with a bit of clever eBaying),so as the original question was £200 max then it's got to be an Audio Technica. However, i'd also say the Oktava is well worth the extra £50 or so

dickiefunk

Re: Vocal Mic £160-£200 new [Re: ghr]
      #473326 - 15/06/07 01:33 PM
Quote gareth.h.rees:

Ahh but the Vienna II is a different mic all together!

Costs rather a lot more:

Click

Gareth

My mistake sorry!

Looks like it's gonna be the AT4040 for me unless anyone has tried the CAD Trion?

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

Arpangel

Re: Vocal Mic £160-£200 new [Re: JosephR]
      #473472 - 15/06/07 08:46 PM
"The standard MK319 does sound a bit "dark" and a bit "boxy" though"

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ! sounds like my kind of mic, I'm off to Turnkey tomorrow.

Take care,

Tony.

JosephR

Re: Vocal Mic £160-£200 new [Re: Arpangel]
      #473570 - 16/06/07 12:07 PM
Quote:

"The standard MK319 does sound a bit "dark" and a bit "boxy" though"

Well they're great if you're a bit "lithssspy", i find that sibbilant Rodes just don't do me justice, and if you're on a strict budget they've got to be worth considering

However, after the Oktava Mod "fixes" they happily compete with the likes of the Neumann U47s, (probably not perfectly but they're pretty damn close). I used to be quite happy with my standard MK319s, being a poverty stricken hobbyist/amatuer, but since i've had one of them modded the other one just sounds a bit sh*t now!

The only problem with the mod is that there's only the thinnest mesh left on the head shell, (one layer), and the diaphragm is completely exposed as a result...so a good pop shield is essential, and not just for spitty vocalists! I really can't speak highly enough of the mod though, it definitely deserves an SOS review!!!

They also do a mod to the Thomann Ribbon mic, (although they recommend a similar chinese made one by Apex), which apparently will compete with, (and out-perform), a Coles 4038...which is quite a statement, although having heard what they've done to my MK319 i'm inclined to believe them and i'm currently saving up for two!

For anyone who wants to check it out, there's now an Oktava Mod shop too, (google it if you're interested), although if you're in the UK then i think buying a 2nd hand MK319, (or an MK219), and sending it over for modding will be cheaper than buying one off the shelf and paying import duty on it. I sent mine to be "repaired" in the USA, and there was no duty to pay and no issues with customs at all.

If you're going down the mods route, it's really not worth skimping and saving a few quid...get the full works and i promise you won't regret it

For the record, i truly don't have any involvement with them...except for being a VERY happy customer, and i don't get any discounts or benefits from recommending them!
(Just in case anyone's wondering why i seem so adamant)

ghr

#476528 - 22/06/07 06:12 PM
Quote:

For the record, my modded MK319 blew an AT4033 away in a head to head....they're quite similar sounding but the modded oktava came off much better!

How does the AT compare with the unmodded MK319? Thinking of getting two from thomann at £93 each! Can always get them modded when I run into some more money

Have you tried them as drum overheads? I don't do much drum recording so if they're allright it would save me getting something else for this role, though I do have some omnis that I could use.

Thanks, Gareth

JosephR

#476845 - 23/06/07 11:49 AM
I'd say the AT4033a is more usable than an unmodded MK-319, it's "warmer" and more detailed, although it's always a matter of tools for jobs.

The stock MK-319 is a little bit "dark", but can work well with the right voices, (generally male), and bassier instruments.

I don't own an AT4033a and have only used them when i've borrowed them, although i've been impressed enough to add it to my wish list and borrow them to ply with when i can. It's one of those mics that punches above it's weight, (in the price stakes), and if you were to go for a mic i'd suggest you go for that because of it's versatility.

You can get stock MK-319s on eBay for around £50ish, (2nd hand), and they're worth buying at that price because they give you options, but if you're on a limited budget then i wouldn't suggest you bought one of those and, for example, a Rode NT1-A with the change.

IMHO, you'd do far better to spend your budget on the best you can afford, like the AT4033a, and scratch around picking up some budget mics later which will give you more options without breaking the bank.

JosephR

#476848 - 23/06/07 11:57 AM
Sorry, didn't read your post fully so didn't answer all your questions.

1) I made the mistake of buying 2 MK-319s, i quickly learnt that it's far better to have 2 different mics rather than 2 which are almost exactly the same

2) I've never used the MK-319s as drum overheads, they're LDCs and i've always thought SDCs would do a better job as overheads due to their improved HF transient response. I used an MK-319 on a kick drum once though and it did suprisingly well.

Hope that helps

ghr

Re: Vocal Mic £160-£200 new [Re: JosephR]
      #476926 - 23/06/07 03:19 PM
Quote:

I made the mistake of buying 2 MK-319s, i quickly learnt that it's far better to have 2 different mics rather than 2 which are almost exactly the same

Yeah that is one of my "concerns" per say, but alas, ideally I'd need two of the same mics (whether LDC or SDC) for drum overheads. Like i said, I do have two omnis (naiant) and plan on getting the other one they do, which is a bit less "accurate". The problem with these is that they're omnis, and the room that i'll be doing any drum recording is pretty small, 3m x 4m sort of size, which although will be treated to an extent, I cant imagine it being great even with cardioids.

The plan actually was to get an ADK Vienna as it seems to be quite well regarded for the money (apparantly better than the AT according to TLS i think) and chance it with the omnis for drums until I can afford some SDC's. However, you and others seem to give the (modded) oktavas pretty good reviews so thats always something to consider.

Quote:

I've never used the MK-319s as drum overheads, they're LDCs and i've always thought SDCs would do a better job as overheads due to their improved HF transient response.

Yeah, you're probably right, but then plenty of people use c12's, 414's, at4033's etc, so I thought i could buy less mics doing it this way, which would allow me to spend a bit more on the ones i do buy.

So I guess after all that, basically my choices are:

ADK Vienna (or AT4033) + Omni drum overheads
2 x MK319's with possibility of modding at some point

Or i guess 2 x AT4033's, which is an idea, but people have reccomended the ADK over these, but I couldnt really afford two of them just yet.

Hmmm!

Thanks for the input,

Gareth

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 12751

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media