Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Fothers

Loc: Kent
Power supply issue new
      #476749 - 23/06/07 07:58 AM
Often when a lightbulb blows in our house the trip switch on the main electrical box cuts off the electricity to the entire house and has to be reset. Which is easy enough - except that it throws out my settings in Cubase (even when my PC isn't switched on) and I'm then left looking at a message that reads 'pending connections'. Tiresome.

Does anyone know of a socket/plug I can buy to stop my PC from being affected in this way - or should I employ the services of a professional electrician to stop the electric tripping in the first place? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Michael B

Re: Power supply issue new [Re: Fothers]
      #476772 - 23/06/07 09:03 AM
Pull the plug out the wall!

There are also anti-surge devices, Maplins

Are you using a 'dodgy' copy of Cubase? these seem more fragile and lose their settings very easily

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
Re: Power supply issue [Re: Fothers]
      #476779 - 23/06/07 09:23 AM
1. Check the mains voltage value. It is supposed to be 230V. We had similar problems and I discovered that we were getting 260V!

2. Use energy saving bulbs, they dont blow as often and are not a solid short circuit when they do.

3. Chech the value and condition (age etc.) of the fuse that blows.

4. Like the man said, always pull the plug or switch off ALL equipment at the mains. Computers are not really off when you only power down. They are still using electricity and you are shortening their life span.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #476820 - 23/06/07 10:53 AM
Bulbs often take out the trip. Most modern houses have the lighting circuits on separate trips from the ring main supplies to stop the whole house going off. It might be worth having an electrician take a look to see if there is anything wrong with the current set up and how practical it would be to install separate trips for the lighting circuits.

Alternatively, and arguably better for the planet, install long-life energy-efficient bulbs because they don't blow in the same way (or anything like as often).

If you computer is off when the trips blow, it is impossible for the Cubase settings to change. I suspect what is happening is that other devices connected to your computer, which may still be powered up, are getting upset by the mains glitches.

Turning them off and on again with their own mains switches will probably make them reset, and if you then power the computer all should be fine.

The easiest solution, though, would simply be to change your lightbulbs.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Fothers

Re: Power supply issue new [Re: Michael B]
      #477092 - 24/06/07 07:55 AM
Hi Michael, Red Bladder and Hugh,

many thanks for replying - I'll pay Maplins a visit, check the voltage, switch off at the wall and buy some energy saving light bulbs.

Really appreciate your advice.

Fothers

PaulD

Loc: Bristol UK
Re: Power supply issue new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #477103 - 24/06/07 08:52 AM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

...change your lightbulbs.

Hi
In my experience by far the worst offenders are screw-bulbs (incandescent, not energy-efficient) used in Ikea lighting units.

I don't know why such bulbs should short the mains so badly when they fail - ordinary bayonet caps hardly ever seem to do so.
Nasty continental designs

Fothers

Re: Power supply issue new [Re: PaulD]
      #477180 - 24/06/07 11:19 AM
Hi Paul, never knew that. Bayonet caps it is then.

Thanks for your tip

fothers

chris...

Re: Power supply issue new [Re: PaulD]
      #477224 - 24/06/07 01:41 PM
Quote PaulD:

I don't know why such bulbs should short the mains so badly when they fail - ordinary bayonet caps hardly ever seem to do so.
Nasty continental designs

Yep - same here - the screw bulbs in the kitchen light fitting fail far more often than the bayos elsewhere.

Whether this is a problem with the (brand of) screw bulb, or a problem with the kitchen light fitting, I can't say...

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #477228 - 24/06/07 02:06 PM
a possible reason is that only screw-ins are used in mainland Europe and before the EU went for 230V mains supply, 220V was the universal standard. These bulbs were made to take 220V and it is my guess (just a guess though!) that no changes were made to the filiment for the extra ten volts.

In the UK, most supplies are still running at 240V so the UK bulbs (the UK is the only country that uses bayonet bulbs) will last longer.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1494

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media