Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Doublehelix

Loc: USA
Small Mixer for Cue Mixes new
      #483955 - 09/07/07 11:32 PM
I am looking for a small mixer, in the 6-12 channel range with direct outs to use as a foldback/cue mixer. I do not want anything from a brand that starts with a "B", and I would like to keep the budget commiserate with the intended function, which is not over-the-top.

I would prefer not to use the inserts as direct outs so that I can use balanced cables.

I do not need high quality mic pres since I will be using line ins, and EQ is also not needed.

I would like to add some comfort EQ to the vocals if possible, but that would require that the aux send be pre-direct out.

Any ideas? Thanks!

--------------------
James
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake" ~Napoleon Bonaparte~

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Doublehelix

Re: Small Mixer for Cue Mixes new [Re: Doublehelix]
      #484394 - 10/07/07 08:47 PM
Nobody, eh?

Just a friendly bump.

What about some of the smaller Mackies? I know the 1604 has 8 direct outs for the first 8 channels, and would probably work if I can't come up with something smaller.

--------------------
James

Blue Lizard

Loc: Cleethorpes, UK
      #484398 - 10/07/07 09:16 PM
Hi DH,

What about the Oz Audio Q-Mix? I know it's been discontinued (mine was from 2000) but IIRC, didn't Mackie buyout the design and make them under their own name in the US? Maybe a second-hand one available in the States - they're very strongly made so could probably cope with several owners along the way.

It might not have the full spec you're after, but if it's primarily a headphone cuemix you want, it's definitely worth a look...

--------------------
"It's not pretty, also you can't dance to it." - Frank Zappa
www.bluelizardstudio.com

Steve Hill

Loc: Oxfordshire
      #484493 - 11/07/07 07:46 AM
I thought you were a fan of the Hear Back system? Not cheap though... http://www.heartechnologies.com/hb/hearbackintro.htm

Anyway, for the job you describe what about a Mackie VLZ or similar (maybe even one of the ones with built in FX to give some comfort reverb?).

--------------------
Dynamite with a laser beam...

TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME
posting's fun

Loc: Manchester, UK and Den Haag, N...
      #484597 - 11/07/07 11:06 AM
Quote Doublehelix:

commiserate

Commensurate surely?

Forum member w oxo cube is selling his A&H GL2. (I'm not suggesting you pick it up from 'Yorkshire, England', but maybe that's the kind of thing which would suit you?)

--------------------
TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME

Doublehelix

Re: Small Mixer for Cue Mixes new [Re: Blue Lizard]
      #484626 - 11/07/07 12:07 PM
@Blue Lizard:

Actually, that does not do what I need it to do, but thanks for the suggestion. I actually already own one! I bought it for my son's band's rehearsals. This way, they can practice with headphones, and don't have to set up the PA everytime.

@Steve:

I actually do already have the Hear Back System, and I love it! What I am looking for is something that will feed it 8 signals (stereo mix + 6 "more me" signals).

I am currently using a *HUGE* Soundtracs Topaz 32:8 mixer, and as I am rebuilding my control room, I am thinking about dumping the Topaz, and getting a small monitor controller (like the Audient or Dangerous), but I still need a small mixer to create the cue mixes.

The Topaz works great, but it is just so darn big!

Hearback does make a great device to do this called the "Mixback", but it is *very* expensive, and is way overkill for my needs at this point.

The Mackie VLZ might be a good option. I could use the 4 sub groups along with the direct outs.... Hmmmm... could probably work.

@Jimi:

I am a big fan of the A&H stuff, and my live rig employs an A&H mixer. Good suggestion! I'll look around locally for one of those as well.

Thanks for suggestions guys!

--------------------
James

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#484652 - 11/07/07 12:59 PM
DH, be aware that with the Vlz anything that runs through the main sub is sub standard.

If you use just the direct outs then you're good to go.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Jorge

Loc: New York, NY
      #484907 - 11/07/07 11:06 PM
Zukan, I was not aware of this. In what way is the signal substandard? Do you mean the aux 1 & 2 buses, as well as the main mix are worse/noisier/whatever than the direct outs?
DH, the direct outs are not balanced on my 1402VLZPRO, you have to plug the plug into the jack only 1 click, and you get an unbalanced signal. The direct outs are really send/insert jacks for effects that can double as direct outs, so the TRS jack has the direct out on the T and S and the insert on the R and S.
Jorge

Blue Lizard

Loc: Cleethorpes, UK
Re: Small Mixer for Cue Mixes new [Re: Jorge]
      #484913 - 11/07/07 11:25 PM
Soundcraft M series? Great value for money and dedicated direct outs for each channel.

--------------------
"It's not pretty, also you can't dance to it." - Frank Zappa
www.bluelizardstudio.com

Doublehelix

Re: Small Mixer for Cue Mixes [Re: Doublehelix]
      #484937 - 12/07/07 02:05 AM
OK, thanks for that Zuk. I am not familiar with any of the Mackie mixers, although I have played on stage many time where the soundman was using a Mackie board.

I am concerned about the sound quality, but if I am limited to the Direct Outs, that means I will lose the ability to add in some comfort reverb to the vox. I was thinking I could combine a few channels to the subs (drums, guitars) and then send the vox to one as well with some verb.

EDIT: I just looked at the specs for the 1604VLZ, and it also has direct outs on the 4 subgroups. Should work, eh?

Jorge: The 1604 has balanced outs on channels 1-8 and balanced outs on subs 1-4.

Blue Lizard: Good suggestion! I did not know that they had the direct outs! Excellent! That is one I did not think about before.

--------------------
James

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1578

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media