Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Wigwamuk

Loc: Essex UK
Logic 7.2 Intel Mac Crossgrade
      #494690 - 01/08/07 10:37 AM
Just bought a MacBook Pro and find out that the Logic 7 that I have been using on my PowerMac is worthless without the Crossgrade. Apple no longer sell it and have offered no support at all, basically they have said I am on my own, I bought Logic Pro 7 for £700 and have all my original paperwork, dongle etc. The say they discontinued the crossgrade earlier this month. Great didn't have a PowerBook then so didn't even look for Crossgrade. They say proof of ownership is the XSKEY which I have and suggested I phone around for any copies left. I have phoned around but no luck. If anyone out there knows where I can still buy a copy or can point me in the right direction, perhaps it is available now as a download. Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Steve Hill

Loc: Oxfordshire
Re: Logic 7.2 Intel Mac Crossgrade new [Re: Wigwamuk]
      #494714 - 01/08/07 10:56 AM
See the last few posts in this thread.

I'm not quite sure what's happening but it's getting ridiculous. Best advice right now is "do not buy an Intel Mac!" (and if you have, tough!).

I don't know whether Max or anyone else has any better advice?

--------------------
Dynamite with a laser beam...

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #494735 - 01/08/07 11:46 AM
Crikey! I was just about to buy a MacBook Pro. Not now. grrr

I'm beginning to wonder about Apple. They should beware becoming a faceless big corporation, and spend some money on people to cosh the inevitable idiotic bean–counters, and listen to legitimate moans on the internet. If they become like Micro$oft, there is little point in Apple loyalty.

Guy

--------------------
Facebok Page for acoustic music PA-ing in smaller venues

fractured

Loc: Washington DC area, USA
      #494827 - 01/08/07 02:25 PM
Apple has invited press to a Mac-only event next Tuesday. My money is on a new version of Logic. Can you manage to wait a week?

--------------------
"It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up, but why should I give up when it all seems so stupid?"

Beebman

Loc: London
      #494852 - 01/08/07 03:14 PM
That sucks arse, big time!

I'm not one to usually advocate piracy in any way, never have. But in instances like this where Wigwamuk has a legitmate copy and is being shafted by the big A then I wanna help.

Mate, if you want you can have a copy of mine. PM and I'll send it to you, just pay the postage.

Cheers.

stratquebec

Loc: Quebec/Canada
      #495083 - 01/08/07 09:46 PM
Let's face it. It's really the end of PPC at Apple. And probably each time Apple phone motorola for support, Motowowla put 'em on hold for 45 minutes and then hang-up!

--------------------

stratquebec

#495099 - 01/08/07 10:11 PM
By the way, it seems that it was clearly stated that to obtain the crossgrade,

"Orders must be postmarked by June 29, 2007, and received by July 13, 2007"

Look here: http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:myJeV4FOHlUJ:www.apple.com/universal/c rossgrade/+http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=safari

--------------------

Wigwamuk

#495148 - 02/08/07 01:06 AM
You are right it does state application dates for applying for crossgrade but the information is no good to me if I didn't even own a MacBook until after that date.

I am not in the habit of buying Crossgrades/upgrade for products before I own them, its a bit like buying a steering wheel for a BMW just in case you ever buy one !! I wouldn't expect BMW to stop offering replacement steering wheels for models in their current range. If you are wondering why I am using this connection, I have all the parts but my Intel Processor cannot steer the software at the moment.

Only found out about the Crossgrade lack of availability this week. I have never known a company withdraw support on a current product line without offering an alternative upgrade path. MacBook Pro is the current line and as of today Logic 7 is their current product.

stratquebec

#495151 - 02/08/07 01:22 AM
I'm 100/100 with you Wigwamuk.
The apple store near my place still have the crossgrade. I know it's on the other side of the of the ocean but just in case you can order from them:

Store Address
3035, boulevard Le Carrefour, local C14B
Laval, Quebec, Canada H7T 1C8
(450) 902-4400

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/carrefourlaval/week/20060910.html

--------------------

blue manga

#495223 - 02/08/07 08:38 AM
(Cr)apple

drumhum

Loc: UK
Re: Logic 7.2 Intel Mac Crossgrade new [Re: fractured]
      #495658 - 02/08/07 08:13 PM
Quote fractured:

Apple has invited press to a Mac-only event next Tuesday. My money is on a new version of Logic. Can you manage to wait a week?

My strong advice would be to NOT bet on anything! I've been doing that all year! This current announcement of "new things" has been clearly described as being for the home user - ie imacs and iLife.

I suspect we will see a new GarageBand, which will contain some of "new Logic's" code and might even provide some clues to what new Logic will be like - just like the latest/new version of SoundTrack Pro did.

Point is, there has been no mention of Pro Apps.

Personally, I subscribe to the idea that LogicNew will be released after the new MacOS X is out. But that is only my speculation.

I'd be surprised if we don't see it before Christmas... but then I've been surprised by Apple many many times (in good ways too I may add)

drumhum

Loc: UK
Re: Logic 7.2 Intel Mac Crossgrade new [Re: stratquebec]
      #495659 - 02/08/07 08:16 PM
Quote stratquebec:

The apple store near my place still have the crossgrade. I know it's on the other side of the of the ocean but just in case you can order from them:

hey! quick! go buy a few copies and make a some money on eBay!

stratquebec

Re: Logic 7.2 Intel Mac Crossgrade new [Re: drumhum]
      #495686 - 02/08/07 09:09 PM
Quote drumhum:

Quote stratquebec:

hey! quick! go buy a few copies and make a some money on eBay!

Hey hey... don't count on me for that!

--------------------

mumblinstevedubya

Loc: East Sussex
      #495702 - 02/08/07 09:35 PM
hope I can help
I recently was oversold the crossgrade by Apple after telling them I had bought logic 7.2 (I didnt realise this was already UB)
PM me if you want to buy it because it's useless to me.

Steve

Wigwamuk

#496059 - 03/08/07 02:44 PM
Hi, Thanks to everyone who attempted to help me. Think I am now all sorted, no thanks to Apple. Should know in next couple of days. Forum members should be renamed Apple support and given share of Apple profits. Apple support, what support. Ta

jaime27

#497781 - 07/08/07 04:25 PM
I also have a cross grade that was sold to me unnecessarily. If anyone's interested

sticky 117

Loc: West Sussex
Re: Logic 7.2 Intel Mac Crossgrade new [Re: jaime27]
      #497924 - 07/08/07 08:33 PM
Hi

yup I'm desperate for it!!!

please email

Fishface

Re: Logic 7.2 Intel Mac Crossgrade new [Re: sticky 117]
      #498185 - 08/08/07 11:33 AM
I can't believe this - just been trying to find how to order my crossgrade and find this! I have one dead mac, one new intel mac on the way as replacement, and no way to run my copy of Logic 7! I need this crossgrade bad - can anyone take pity and help me out?? Paul

Al Paradise

Loc: London, UK
Re: Logic 7.2 Intel Mac Crossgrade new [Re: Fishface]
      #498188 - 08/08/07 11:38 AM
I am in the same boat fishface!
If anyone could pm me if they have a crossgrade spare I would be most grateful.
My trusty ibook's logic book fried itself and i have beautiful new MBP without any software to run on it.
Pain in the proverbial.

jrbcm

#498195 - 08/08/07 11:59 AM
Reminds me of Hitchhikers Guide this. Details of aforementioned discontinuation were CLEARLY POSTED by Apple Globocorp inc. on the noticeboard in a small basement flat on the planet Alpha Centurai for several weeks. You've all got yourselves to blame...

(actually I'm in the same boat too )

earthdan

#498233 - 08/08/07 01:22 PM
Isn't it possible to just pay for the upgrade (£200) rather than have to fork out as a new user would (£700)?

kinnyboy

#498234 - 08/08/07 01:22 PM
I also have started a thread on this!! If anyone has got a crossgrade they want to sell/lend/give away I will be most grateful. Failing that, as stated in my thread, I will be getting it from Limewire with no guilt as I feel Apple have given us all a right royal shafting on this.

Al Paradise

#498318 - 08/08/07 03:34 PM
perhaps we should form a collective mate....

Studio Support Gnome
Not so Miserable Git

Re: Logic 7.2 Intel Mac Crossgrade new [Re: Al Paradise]
      #498516 - 08/08/07 11:34 PM

while I do not approve of Apple's position as such, I might point out that the crossgrade offer was a limited time one, made clear at it's inception, and extended twice, before apple decided to let it die at the previously stated 3rd expiry date... although some stock remained until shortly afterwards.

it is NOT out of the blue, NOT without prior notice or warning.

they continued to stock and sell it until long past any legal obligations relating to the sale of V7.1 editions were fulfilled.

personally I'm not enthused by it... but the jumping up and down and screaming about it is just a bit much.

I regret their decision.... sadly, i have frequently despised their management decisions....

but that does not give anyone the right to abuse the legalities of IP and EULA nor offer support for such activities.

Max

--------------------
if you don't know who i am, i aint gonna tell you.

Al Paradise

#498569 - 09/08/07 07:50 AM
I kinda disagree. I see what you mean.... but they do hav my email address as I am a registered user.... it's not a big ask to fire out an email advising your client base of the impending deadline.
Know what I mean?

Edited by Moriarty (09/08/07 07:50 AM)

earthdan

#498606 - 09/08/07 08:58 AM
Quote Moriarty:

I kinda disagree. I see what you mean.... but they do hav my email address as I am a registered user.... it's not a big ask to fire out an email advising your client base of the impending deadline.
Know what I mean?

Agreed. I didn't know anything about the limited crossgrade offer. If I'd had such an e-mail notification from Apple then I'd have been able to act before it was too late.

But as an alternative to forking out £700, can I not just upgrade again from Logic 6 for £200 - or are you only allowed to do that once?

Fishface

#498610 - 09/08/07 09:05 AM
I have had Logic way back into the emagic days, I'm a loyal customer who's put up with the PC shutdown and bought every upgrade until now. I didn't want 7.2 originally because I run Mac OS 10.3.9 and couldn't see much benefit to me at the time. However, now my Mac has died and I have ordered a new one (intel, as Apple offer no choice). So, I have fully paid up new mac, I have fully paid up Logic Pro 7, both apple products and Apple's response is that I have to "buy the software again".

This has nothing to do with deadlines etc. passing. I, too, was unaware of the deadline, otherwise I would have bought it in time - even though it doesn't seem fair it would have been pragmatic. However, that is beside the point. The point is that Apple is requiring me to buy their product twice - at least the upgrade to v7 twice - I have already paid for it!!

Apple themselves acknowledge this, and pointed out to me that as I already have a Logic 7 license and dongle, it would not be a breach of license to "borrow" somebody else's software disks (I don't know anyone I can do this with), they just refuse to supply them themselves.

I don't know what to do. I'm desperate for a copy of Logic I can run on my new machine - I have a project on the go. I'm tempted to chuck it all in and buy a rival product rather than be shafted like this, but I love Logic too much.

Steve Hill

Loc: Oxfordshire
Re: Logic 7.2 Intel Mac Crossgrade new [Re: Fishface]
      #498623 - 09/08/07 09:32 AM
Quote Fishface:

Apple themselves acknowledge this, and pointed out to me that as I already have a Logic 7 license and dongle, it would not be a breach of license to "borrow" somebody else's software disks (I don't know anyone I can do this with), they just refuse to supply them themselves.

That's very interesting.

Do you have this in writing from Apple? (Or could you get it?) If they themselves are declaring it is "freeware", then I guess as a community we could sort something about between ourselves in a fairly open fashion.

As things are I am (highly!) reluctant to offer my copy out on loan for fear of being accused of encouraging piracy.

--------------------
Dynamite with a laser beam...

MD_BANNED

Re: Logic 7.2 Intel Mac Crossgrade new [Re: Studio Support Gnome]
      #498637 - 09/08/07 09:57 AM
Quote Max!:

but that does not give anyone the right to abuse the legalities of IP and EULA nor offer support for such activities.
Max

Where as Apple are legally entitled to sell software with key features (eg, shuffle mode) that *do not work* and will not work until you pay approx. £200 upgrading both your OS and upgrade disks?

Really Max your holier-than-thou attitude is sickening.

Of course it doesn't give anyone the legal right to erm... break the law - that's hardly worth stating, unless you get a cheap thrill out of playing the role of some kind of morally superior defender of internet justice.

But as for not supporting such activities, give me a break! Apple's behaviour is indefensible and thankfully the internet provides ways of 'sidestepping' such abuse.

However, even better than downloading the 7.2 upgrade, a more amusing and legal tactic I feel, would be to demand a refund for 7.1 under the sale of goods act and take Apple to the small claims court if they refuse. It's relatively easy to make a claim if need be and there are plenty of demonstratable features which don't work - the shuffle mode being my personal bugbear - to ensure that your claim would have a good chance of success. I suspect though, that like banks with overdraft fees, Apple would take the easy route and settle beforehand. Assuming all goes to plan, Apple would be obliged to pay back the court fee too, which rather ironically comes to £30 - about the same cost as one of their upgrade disks!

Then just buy 7.2 again or wait for 8...

PaulD

Loc: Bristol UK
Re: Logic 7.2 Intel Mac Crossgrade new [Re: MD_BANNED]
      #498654 - 09/08/07 10:25 AM
Quote Happyandbored:

...give me a break!

Hi Happy
Ok, here's a break...
See Max's avatar? CSI stands for he Can't Stand Idiots.
Better trot off and reread the Forum's Terms Of Use - or rather get your lawyer to do it and explain it to you - since what you've read there doesn't seem to have penetrated...

And to give this reply some topical value:
Apple made it totally clear throughout 2005 and 2006 that they would be offering NO FURTHER SUPPORT to versions of their software produced before the introduction of the Universal binary version once that UB version had shipped.

The reason for the various Crossgrade offers was to give a reasonable-cost upgrade path at that time.

So, once again let me paraphrase their announcement:
No pre-Universal Binary Apple software will be receiving any upgrade. Only the replacement UB versions will be upgradeable.
Now their Crossgrade offer has finished, the Apple software-purchase market is doing business as usual.

Frank EleveldModerator

Loc: NL
      #498659 - 09/08/07 10:32 AM
Quote Happyandbored:

Really Max your holier-than-thou attitude is sickening.

Whilst I certainly disapprove with Apple's business ethics in this respect, please understand that on this forum, we cannot allow any discussions regarding illegal matters like (but not limited to) copying software and breaching the EULA, simply because doing so might have legal repercussions for Sound On Sound Ltd. and/or the owner of this forum and SOS, Mr. Gilby, as well as for those offering to help with obtaining cross grades that are, well, not exactly legal according to the EULA.

I'm sorry, but the moderators of this forum have discussed this matter offline extensively and we see simply no other option but to put a stop to this thread. We simply cannot allow any exceptions to the rule that discussions regarding piracy and illegal copying of software (and music as well as other material) are simply not tolerated here.

If anyone has problems with this policy, please feel free to contact SOS through Mr. Gilby, the owner of SOS and this forum. Better still, contact Apple and demand action directly from them.

Frank Eleveld

SOS Moderating Team

--------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge - A. Einstein

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3397

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media