Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
wjfd2001

Loc: Salisbury UK
Help needed for yamaha RM800 new
      #522981 - 23/09/07 06:16 PM
Firstly for sheriton, sorry I had not replied to the last help you advised and requested, I will get back to that. My request this time is that I have a Yamaha RM800 mixing desk and can't get my head round it! Could anyone explain the signal paths and the operations to get it to the speakers.Also how do I connect a CD player to the said machine.I have gone through the manual but it doesn't tell you how to proceed with the signal from start to end.I want to become as good as I can be at this sound reinforcement so I do genuinely appreciate your help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
atarimad

Re: Help needed for yamaha RM800 new [Re: wjfd2001]
      #523211 - 24/09/07 09:17 AM
You could always start here

or here

Edited by atarimad (24/09/07 09:22 AM)

wjfd2001

Re: Help needed for yamaha RM800 new [Re: atarimad]
      #523391 - 24/09/07 04:35 PM
Hi, Thanks for the link, some useful stuff. I have the manual but don't have enough experience to operate the desk properly.
I am learning the job for a 3 piece rock band and have been using a small mini mix which is adequate at the moment but when it comes to miking the drums it will be no good at all.Help appreciated.

Sheriton

Loc: Leicester, UK
      #523486 - 24/09/07 08:27 PM
I think Paul White has written a book on basic live sound for musicians. I've not read it but believe it comes recommended as a good starting point when trying to learn about live sound.

--------------------
There's nothing we can't face... Except for bunnies

wjfd2001

Re: Help needed for yamaha RM800 new [Re: Sheriton]
      #523506 - 24/09/07 08:57 PM
Thanks sheriton, I have that book, been reading it but although it's good doesn't actually help me on a step by step on the mixing section.But I was having another go at the mixer
in the house trying to 'sus the signal path out. I have managed it, using a mic I got it to the speakers. I just need now to go back to the drawing board and find how and why. The desk itself I bought from a guy for £150.00 and it's got everything we will ever need I think, it's just a bit on the hefty side and it's difficult learning to drive the thing.

Sheriton

Loc: Leicester, UK
      #523545 - 24/09/07 11:09 PM
Desks always tend to look intimidating to the newcomer - "how do you know what all the knobs do?"

I tend to think of it as follows:

Signals come in to the top of the desk and flow down towards the bottom. At various points, part of those signals are tapped off and fed in to buses that run horizontally across the desk (left to right).
E.g. a signal from a mic enters the desk at the top of channel 1, passes down through the EQ section then hits the aux section. At this point, a bit of that signal is sent off to the right along the aux 1 bus. Our original signal still carries on down the desk and when it reaches the fader, it again heads off to the right, but this time on the LR bus. It's a very visual way of representing the signal flow.
Having a good play (with the desk manual and Paul's book close to hand) is a good way to learn, away from the pressures of an actual gig.

--------------------
There's nothing we can't face... Except for bunnies

wjfd2001

Re: Help needed for yamaha RM800 [Re: Sheriton]
      #523872 - 25/09/07 05:12 PM
That's quite a graphic way of picturing the operation ( pardon the pun). Thanks for that. And yes you are right about it being intimidating.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3403

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media