The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
seanjq

website for music with flash...
      #524791 - 27/09/07 12:07 PM
I have been studying web development now for a year and have designed my own site to host my music compositions.
I think flash is best for streaming the audio or (in my case)
a progressive download. Quicktime and windows media player are unreliable and in most cases users give up.

What are your views on this?

Take a look at my website, any feedback would be much appreciated.

[more music to be added when i get a chance]

sean

sjqproductions.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Forum AdminAdministrator

Loc: Cambridge
SOS MP3 Player uses Flash new [Re: seanjq]
      #524833 - 27/09/07 12:51 PM
Hi Sean,

Good luck with your site - good to see initiative in action.

SOS developed a Flash-based MP3 Player for our anniversary DVDs and we adopted it for website audio playback since then. You can hear/see the streaming Player in action (at the top) on this unlocked old Mix Rescue article:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug06/articles/mixrescue2_0806.htm

We came to the same conclusions about unreliability of QT and WMP and given Flash's prevalence for adverts, it is widely available should anyone NOT have it already installed in their computer.

Do you drive your Player with an XML playlist?

One tip we just discovered on this month's Mix Rescue, was that MP3 audio files employed within Flash objects need to have a sample rate that's a multiple of 11.025 (11.025 kHz 22.050 kHz or 44.100 kHz) before you convert it down to MP3.

If you direct link to MP3s in HTML pages, it cares not a jot about the original sample rate as Quicktime and Windows will simply play them and they sound correctly pitched. However, if you encode your MP3s from, say, a 48kHz mix within your DAW (like we did in Logic Pro this month) then Flash SWF players will NOT replay them at the correct pitch, and the 48kHz sourced-MP3 will play back slower than it should do, since Flash is limited to 44.1kHz maximum sample rate we discovered this week.

Be warned.

cheers,
Ian G

This only came to light when

--------------------
SOS Gear Videos now screening on Sound On Sound TV

seanjq

Re: SOS MP3 Player uses Flash new [Re: Forum Admin]
      #525146 - 27/09/07 07:14 PM
Thanks for your feedback...

All tracks are 44.100 kHz and compressed at a variable bit rate.

The tracks are fed in with xml, however I am considering mysql (database driven), as this is how i update the textual content on the site.

php & mysql

cheers,

sean

moo the magic cow

Loc: USA
Re: website for music with flash... new [Re: seanjq]
      #525182 - 27/09/07 08:41 PM
Sean,
I looked at your website and I think it is great. It's very sleek and appealing.

One thing I find is that it is not idiot proof. I think there should be an item in your main navigation (HOME, ABOUT, CONTACT) that goes straight to the music, called LISTEN or MUSIC or something obvious. I understand it is redundant, but that left hand navigation is usually the first thing the eye is drawn to.

There's also a dead link - if you click on the SJQ logo, it goes to Index.php instead of index.php.

--------------------
gentle robot - chapel hill rock band

seanjq

Re: website for music with flash... new [Re: moo the magic cow]
      #526068 - 29/09/07 10:08 AM
great advice and thanks for pointing out the link problem.

working far too hard these days.

sean

jay bee

#527706 - 02/10/07 10:11 AM
Hi, I decided that flash was what I was going to use too!
mainly so that I could make my own bleep.com style transport bar.... haha.
I am setting up an account with pay2access.net which enables people to buy an mp3 buy texting from their phone (a pre-determined premium rate sms). as well as a link to the label shop and online marts like itunes, amazon digital etc...
here is the site:
yeticave
(i haven't ironed out the kinks with the pay2access forms so they are not up yet!)

--------------------
jaybharadia.com

Michael B

#532764 - 11/10/07 04:46 PM
I like that site!!!

So is that a flash player you're using, it starts instant, not like some sites where it seems to neeed to buffer-up or whatever

forgot to mention - music's good too!

michael b

jay bee

#588293 - 06/03/08 07:01 PM
Hi, thanks for the love dude, yes it is a flash player I designed and the audio is relatively high quality mp3 so I needed a streaming device, so that people would react just like you did "wow that was fast!" without it sounding like a bag of scissors (32kb mp3 is NOT an audio format, its a dog detterent!)
I was searching on google for something and I found this thread, so I post a very delayed response!
jx

--------------------
jaybharadia.com

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4971

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media