Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tombola

You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message?
      #53452 - 23/11/04 01:42 AM
Nobody replied to my last post, so I decided to repost with a better headline. Anyway, here goes...

My friend Neil had a Pro-One, and opened it one day to find
http://www.solorb.com/anhevn/pro1art1.jpg
and
http://www.solorb.com/anhevn/pro1art3.jpg
written on the circuit board.

I was thinking 'aah, golden years, handmade synths, it's all different now', but apparently not. My Alesis Ion has
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~wz4k-tnk/digital/ionpcb.jpg
A weird fist with 'ASE' written on it.

Anyone else have a synth with something cool on the circuit boards?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
inverseroom

Loc: Ithaca, NY, USA
Re: You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message new [Re: tombola]
      #53457 - 23/11/04 03:09 AM
Awesome post!!! When I got my Pro-One I opened it up with great eagerness, hoping to find one of the fabled doodles...(and planning to fix the j-wire). I fixed the j-wire but it was clean.

Nothing in my Juno-60, Micromoog, or Yammy stuff either. What's with everybody?

--------------------
www.inverseroom.com

Morley

Re: You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message? new [Re: tombola]
      #53485 - 23/11/04 08:45 AM
I know my prophet 5 has something written, but I'm not opening it up to find out. Too much work on a p5!

--------------------
http://www.davidmorley.com

analoguebunnies

Re: You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message? new [Re: tombola]
      #60939 - 10/12/04 05:12 PM
thats pretty cool.

I love seeing individuality break out. Monotonous job putting together circuit boards, nice to see people haven't let it crush them as people.

Was in a hospital bathroom and on the door was a list for the janitors to sign after cleaning. One guy continually signed it as "The King". Cracked me up. Not a great job that one, probably soul-deadening like assembly line synth work, but the guy still found a way to keep his individuality and humanity.

As for the original post, I've opened a bunch of synths and have yet to see anything like that. I'd be pretty psyched if I did.

AEP

Loc: Charlotte NC USA
      #60984 - 10/12/04 06:47 PM
my P600 has something on the circuit board; can't remember what though. i remember seeing it when i changed out the midi chip. methinks i'll have a look when i get home....

Pashmina

Loc: north-east england
      #61173 - 11/12/04 01:52 PM
The Wiard modular has little literary quotes printed on the circuit board.

--------------------
"We hate all those who diss them, but shot all those who like them"

Beerma§ter

Loc: London
Re: You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message new [Re: tombola]
      #61456 - 12/12/04 04:27 PM
Pash - sell me your Wiard !

Scottdru
Cool Dude

Loc: NYC: isle off the coast of Eur...
      #63337 - 16/12/04 12:33 AM
Very cool.

--------------------
Scott
--Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Lose Yourself

Loc: Dublin
      #63539 - 16/12/04 01:28 PM
I saw a program about this sort of thing once. The cicuit board designers often place small images or hiden messages onto the board. Its like graffiti.

--------------------
www.substancehq.com

DragonLogos
Above us only Sky

Loc: East London
Re: You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message? new [Re: Lose Yourself]
      #64781 - 19/12/04 08:24 PM
I know that Chip designers used to do this, but unless you have a old eprom that you can see into, no one will ever know

xFasterMikeyH

Re: You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message? new [Re: DragonLogos]
      #67546 - 29/12/04 03:27 PM
Quote DragonLogos:

I know that Chip designers used to do this, but unless you have a old eprom that you can see into, no one will ever know

I have a friend who initializes the chips he designs with his initials in hex. I don't actually know what that means, but it seems fitting (and it is true - if poorly expressed).

FMH

Kwaidan

Loc: UK
Re: You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message? new [Re: xFasterMikeyH]
      #67655 - 29/12/04 09:02 PM
Yeah!! inside an old JX synth I had it said:

"Close the lid you nosey B*****D and stop poking around in here, unless you know something about Electronics!!!!"

I closed the lid and quickly consulted a Roland service guy.

Groovuru

Loc: Glasgow, UK
      #85297 - 09/02/05 04:20 AM
I have a Roland space echo RE 201 and written on the sticker upon the spring reverb case mounted inside is

"manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton Wisconsin under controlled atmosphere conditions"

sweet !

I have a photo but nowhere to share it sorry

--------------------
did you not think if it sounded like that going in it would probably sound like that coming out ?

tmoravan

#86003 - 10/02/05 02:25 PM
E-mu used to have some pictures of Emu-like birds and various other nonsense on their circuit baords. Not much on the modern boards that I've seen. Sequential was probably the most prolific and artsy in their designs (of the old companies).

tombola

#94500 - 27/02/05 11:49 AM
Looks like the girls in wisconsin only made the reverb tank:
http://www.gretschpages.com/amps/7763expander/index.php

--

http://www.musicthing.co.uk/

zed

Loc: uk
      #101321 - 14/03/05 01:37 PM
I thought this post was pretty funny (in a real geeky way) about the code for the p-5 rev something eprom....

--------------------
http://blokezero.com
myspace/blokezero

torin

Loc: USA
Re: You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message new [Re: zed]
      #102051 - 15/03/05 10:40 PM
I also have a Sequential Pro 1 with a Budda & one of my Prophet 5s has some type of graphic on its main board as well. (Its also amazing how different each Prophet 5s boards can be) I'll have to open up my Roland 201 space echo & several of my other analog synths to see what's there. Thanks!

dubbmann

Loc: 3rd stone from the sun.
      #102682 - 17/03/05 03:29 AM
here's a funny, true story about these designer 'monograms' on chips. back during the cold war the us frequently got a hold of soviet gear and would examine it literally under microscopes, especially any silicon. one day an american ship picked up a soviet buoy used to eavesdrop on western submarines. when they put its chip under an electron microscope, they found that the soviets had copied a well known Texas Instruments integrated circuit, down to the designer monogram. apparently the russian chip designer figured better safe than sorry in terms of what to copy...

cheers,

dubbmann

--------------------
http://www.thinkbluecounttwo.com/
http://www.phichibe.com

Polysix

Loc: Manchester
      #103144 - 17/03/05 11:07 PM
I once opened up my Solina String Ensemble and found all the schematics paperwork in a plastic bag stapled to the inside of the wooden casing

Spiked Lunch

#112615 - 09/04/05 06:12 PM
I opened up my reissue ProCo Rat distortion pedal to replace a clicky switch and found “THE CAPTAIN IS SMILING” printed across the top of the PCB
Not quite as cool as some of the other posts but it put a smile on my face!

tmoravan

Re: You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message? new [Re: Polysix]
      #113564 - 11/04/05 05:39 PM
Quote Polysix:

I once opened up my Solina String Ensemble and found all the schematics paperwork in a plastic bag stapled to the inside of the wooden casing

They're supposed to be in there, along with an extra fuse. Also, the old Moog rack gear (12 stage Phaser, graphic EQ, etc) had their schems in bags inside the unit as well.

Never found any curios on Roland, Yamaha, Korg, or Oberheim boards.

Fizmo100

Loc: Cheshire
      #114546 - 13/04/05 12:17 PM
When I bought my SH1 I opened it up to find it was full of leaves...

--------------------
If I ever saw an amputee being hanged, I'd just yell out letters...

baward

#114964 - 14/04/05 08:46 AM
Not a message written on a PCB, but I have found in various synths a comb, a small screwdiver and several guitar picks!

Ben

hughb

Loc: Guildford, UK
Re: You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message new [Re: baward]
      #119915 - 24/04/05 06:55 PM
Only thing I ever found inside my SH-101 was an awful lot of dust.

--------------------
Tesco Value Tonmeister

tombola

#120472 - 25/04/05 09:30 PM
Oooh, found another one: Early EMU SP-12 samplers had 'Paul is the Walrus' written on the circuit board:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38069&ite m=7316009681&rd=1

corkyburger

#130814 - 18/05/05 09:55 PM
The Dave Smith Evolver has some text on the board but I can't remember what it is.

Kayvon

Loc: Shrewsbury
Re: You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message new [Re: corkyburger]
      #138792 - 06/06/05 12:10 AM
Just came across this for the Poly Evolver. Check out the picture about half way down.

Whopppeeee? shouldn't that be Whoopppeeee

Les

Loc: Alloa flat, studio and rural/u...
      #142937 - 14/06/05 04:27 PM
The inside of my mate's Jupiter 8 gave forth a shimmering image of the Madonna with child when we opened it up for a gander, and told us to "spread the good news".

Some (or MOST would be more accurate) of this story is untrue!

--------------------
"If I had all the money i'd spent on drink, i'd spend it on drink". Vivian Stanshall

Les

#142939 - 14/06/05 04:28 PM
It was an OBX

Well, actually

--------------------
"If I had all the money i'd spent on drink, i'd spend it on drink". Vivian Stanshall

Analyst

Re: You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message? new [Re: Les]
      #147606 - 26/06/05 12:59 AM
daammmm !!!!

now all i need is a screwdriver & going carzy on my studio !!!

thx alot !!! you just gave me alot of work !

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

baron_de

Loc: Cornwall
      #147759 - 26/06/05 04:58 PM
i was very excited to find the word "MAIM" on the board inside my Casio SK-1.

sheesh! must have been going through a Thobbing Gristle phase...

reptar

Re: You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message? new [Re: baron_de]
      #150855 - 04/07/05 05:35 PM
My Evolver (and everybody elses) says Yeehaawww!!!!

myshkin

#155899 - 16/07/05 02:23 AM
My old Casio had an original version of the Dead Sea Scrolls contained within.

neven dayvid

#179738 - 09/09/05 10:37 AM
when i bought my yamaha cs-60 (the exact one reviewed in german keyboards magazine SYNTHESIZER VON GESTERN series), the aftertouch wasn´t working. my tech and i opened it and found some marijuana inside, mind you not quite enough for a smoke though...

Arpangel

Loc: London
      #184503 - 20/09/05 06:31 AM
My PRO 5 went in for repair (surprise surprise ) and the engineer showed me this "Smiley" face on the main board......but did it improve the sound in the case of my PRO 5 it may have been a curse. I want to open my Micron now, it seems the Americans may be prone to these "tags"

Take care !

Tony.

IvanSC

Loc: UK France & USA depending on t...
      #185465 - 21/09/05 05:40 PM
cutting engineers in the seventies used to have lotsa fun reverse writing stuff on the playout section in the centre of a disk. Go look at your dad`s vinyl collection and have a few laughs.

--------------------
Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

tombola

#211702 - 16/11/05 01:19 AM
Looks like Pro One boards were covered with stuff:
Click for flickr set full of pro one circuit boards

Quaver

#212059 - 16/11/05 05:05 PM
I think eveyone who owns a synth should open them up and leave written messages taped to the circuits,then sell the synth on

A good one for starting paranoia...would be to leave a message inside a synth....then write on the bottom shell,"Open me",the suspecting synthianado then opens up the unit curiously,and finds a note to say "Youve been sold a Kipper synth mate"Or "Youve been done mate"...or "Cheap as chips..Microchips"...or you could really annoy the owner...."I only bought this for £30,and made a huge profit on it now...youve been ripped off pal"

Why is it,that you open up Synths.....You always end up with less screws!!!!

Anyone know where they go to...Screw heaven or something...

maybe theres a shelter for homeless screws

MadManDan

Loc: Across the pond....New Yawk
Re: You've got a vintage synth. Ever opened it up and found something bizarre written on the circuit boards? Like a picture of something? Or a message? new [Re: IvanSC]
      #276768 - 31/03/06 11:48 PM
Quote IvanSC:

cutting engineers in the seventies used to have lotsa fun reverse writing stuff on the playout section in the centre of a disk. Go look at your dad`s vinyl collection and have a few laughs.

Herbie "Pump" Powers , a great mastering engineer and helluva good guy, used to put a smiley fave and I think "herbie" on all his records

--------------------
Gear list: If you can't find it, grind it

Les

#278085 - 04/04/06 12:38 PM
Athough this is a slight diversion - I remember seeing the Genesis live video 3-Sides Live about 15 years ago.

In it, Tony Bank's keyboard roadie is checking out his Prophet 10 prior to a gig, and when he opens it up it starts playing a very annoying Bach-esque tune - which he tolerates for about a minute before disabling.

Can anyone confirm this Prophet quirk? Do any other synths "do" this?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 22077

April 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for April 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media