Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Rob C

Do you generally benefit from bigger memory? new
      #544352 - 11/11/07 04:08 PM
I'm not running lots of plug-ins or anything, but I do some fairly big graphics and use quite a few apps.

I've got 1G memory on a Dual 2G G5 Power Mac which runs fairly swiftly.

It's fairly cheap to add 4G these days but will it make a noticeable difference?

--------------------
www.bemuso.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Steve honest

Loc: London,England
Re: Do you generally benefit from bigger memory? new [Re: Rob C]
      #544356 - 11/11/07 04:30 PM
hi Mate
there is no such thing on earth as too much RAM, stuff as much in there as you can , and then go thru and optimise your rig , there are guys in here who can better advise you on that and then plug in all day long, i have 5.5 gigs in my G5 as well as HD3 and its been behaving itself a treat since i upgraded the ram from 1.5gig,
and like you say Ram is a cheap as Chips nowadays.
steve

--------------------
no animal ever called me honey

Neil C

Loc: Under a PlopEgg
Re: Do you generally benefit from bigger memory? new [Re: Steve honest]
      #544620 - 12/11/07 02:00 PM
Quote Steve honest:

there is no such thing on earth as too much RAM,, stuff as much in there as you can ,

I'm dubious that putting 16gb into my MacPro would be any better for me than about 4gb for me. And it wouldn't be better for my bank account.

Steve Hill

Loc: Oxfordshire
      #544626 - 12/11/07 02:14 PM
Speaking only for myself - er - what was the question again?

--------------------
Dynamite with a laser beam...

E D

Loc: London
      #544649 - 12/11/07 03:18 PM
Though having too much RAM wont do anything bad to your computer there is a point beyond which no more will be used. Thus your money can be better spent elsewhere.

You can tell if your computer wants more RAM if you restart your computer, give your computer a good working. Do with it what you would do on a normal computer intensive day then go into Activity Monitor, in the System Memory Tab. If there is a number next to Page ins/outs: it kinda means how much virtual memory is being used. So, stuff your computer with good RAM until page ins/outs reads 0/0 - for optimum performance, of course

tekro

#544779 - 12/11/07 08:46 PM
so where is this system memory tab in my mac dude? cant seem to find it.

Rob C

Re: Do you generally benefit from bigger memory? new [Re: tekro]
      #544782 - 12/11/07 09:05 PM
From Finder... Go / Utilities / ActivityManager.app

There are 5 tabs at the bottom of the window:

CPU - System Memory - Disc Activity - Disc Usage - Network

----

Thx E D and Neil for the info...

--------------------
www.bemuso.com

PaulD

Loc: Bristol UK
      #544830 - 12/11/07 11:24 PM
Hi
My 2004 G5 2GHz Dual PCI-X Mac has 4x512MB of generic Kingston ValueRam, and 4x512MB of PC World bargain-bin Taiwanese branded RAM.
Everything works fine - but its an older pre-PCIe Mac

Since I run a deadline-critical video edit business I have two of everything, the other 2004 G5 2GHz Dual PCI-X Mac has the 4x512MB DIMMs the two Macs came with.

Functionally I don't see much difference, but the main G5 with 4GB does all the grunt work.

Looking at Activity Monitor, as per E D's post, the 4GB Mac says 13138/0, and the 2GB one says 20933/0.
Not a lot of difference.

Am I bovvered? Well this is the first time in many years I've looked at Activity Monitor, so this sort of performance monitoring number counting has zilch relevance to earning a living on a Mac.

But I do grind GarageBand to a halt occcasionally, so more performace no doubt would help...

Hypnotoad

#545460 - 14/11/07 03:23 PM
Quote Neil C:

I'm dubious that putting 16gb into my MacPro would be any better for me than about 4gb for me. And it wouldn't be better for my bank account.

Assuming you're on OS 10.4.x, no application with a GUI (so, pretty much any application) can address more than a 32-bit memory address, which equals 2^32 bytes, or 4GB.

10.4.x can take advantage of more than 4GB of RAM although, 16GB for example would only be of use if you were running 3 or more memory-hungry apps simultaneously. For example, 3 applications each addressing 4GB of RAM with the OS occupying some of the remaining 4GB.

Page-ins occur when anything is moved to Active RAM including data from the Inactive RAM so a large number of Page-ins does not necessarily mean you don't have enough hardware memory as both Active and Inactive RAM exists on the RAM chips.

As far as I know, as long as you have comparatively few Page-outs (and certainly not more than you have Page-ins), the amount of hardware RAM is not the issue. As you say, Rob C, it's running fairly swiftly - maybe add an extra GB, but the full 4GB may be overkill...

Also, due to OS X's (admittedly excellent) memory management, Activity Monitor will always show a huge amount of Virtual (ie hard disk) Memory in use. This does not mean you don't have enough RAM in your machine.

I hope I'm not the only one who I've just managed to confuse...

E D

#546764 - 18/11/07 03:10 AM
sorry yup yup. above post clarifies my ever so slightly misleading information.

page ins are cool. page outs (the second number in my formerly quoted 0/0 figure) wants to be at 0 so
Quote PaulD:

Looking at Activity Monitor, as per E D's post, the 4GB Mac says 13138/0, and the 2GB one says 20933/0

is all well and good. Your computer is sufficiently RAM stuffed.

Sorry. I obviously wasn't paying 100% attention when I posted earlier.

Blott

Loc: Nottingham UK
Re: Do you generally benefit from bigger memory? [Re: Rob C]
      #546820 - 18/11/07 01:41 PM
It makes a BIG difference when running a lot of apps simultaneously. Basically you won't feel a slowdown in responsiveness of your Mac which makes using it a lot more pleasant.
Also it prolongs the life of your hard drives by reducing the amount of caching does.
A good indicator is the OSX beach-ball. If you see it often then you need more RAM. If I were in your position I would definitely upgrade, you can simply never have too much RAM.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/blottuk
http://blottuk.bandcamp.com

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2408

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media