Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
magenta

Logic Express WARNING,Only 12 outputs available!!!
      #5545 - 05/09/04 12:45 AM
Ive just bought Logic express for a friends set up.He also bought a Motu 828II and a Behringer ADA800 as a ADat -analogue convertor,to give a total of 18 ins and outs .
I spent a couple of horrid days ,trying to get it to work,(Clocking etc).
I couldnt get logic to see the behringer.
So the i tried the sytem with my G5/Logic pro and ....it all worked.
Only then did i go on to the emagic site ,and to my HORROR ...find that
Logic Express only allows 12 ins and 12 outs......arghhhhhh.
I know there is a £500 differance in price,but why pick such a simple and usefull thing to mess with to justify price??????
Cheers
Magenta

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
juche

Loc: London
Re: Logic Express WARNING,Only 12 outputs available!!! new [Re: magenta]
      #5656 - 05/09/04 09:42 AM
Hi, Express has a total of 12 simultaneous inputs or outputs. This means that if you record 12 inputs at the same time there are no more streams to monitor with. It is a bizarre limitation to have but maybe Emagic think Express is more for home studios. If you're not recording a drum kit or a full band all at once 12 ins/outs is plenty. Still seems a bit harsh though, maybe 24 would have been a better figure.
All the best,
Mat

Gary M
Audio Technica

Loc: Northwood, London
Re: Logic Express WARNING,Only 12 outputs available!!! new [Re: juche]
      #5893 - 05/09/04 07:25 PM
the only thing i would have to say about this is, the pro version has pro on the end for a reason. many home users have pro, if they have it then its the least that you can expect from a profesional studio that is asking its clients to pay. express is for the hobbist pro is for professional and people that want to go that one stage further.

Hank

Loc: West Midlands
Re: Logic Express WARNING,Only 12 outputs available!!! new [Re: Gary M]
      #6064 - 06/09/04 09:06 AM
This reminds me in some respects of the threads concerning the "unjustifiable" price of software, in that folk seem to have no problem in forking out for hardware, but seem to think that software should be provided at giveaway prices. If your mate has spent circa £700 on an 828 MkII, not to mention his other gear, why is he so limited to buying only Logic Express?

baward

Re: Logic Express WARNING,Only 12 outputs available!!! new [Re: Hank]
      #6942 - 06/09/04 06:26 PM
Quote:

This reminds me in some respects of the threads concerning the "unjustifiable" price of software, in that folk seem to have no problem in forking out for hardware, but seem to think that software should be provided at giveaway prices. If your mate has spent circa £700 on an 828 MkII, not to mention his other gear, why is he so limited to buying only Logic Express?

I wholeheartedly agree. And why not make use of the ins/outs you have - or else just upgrade and get on with it. Surely you thought through the spec beore you bought the software?

Ben

zooloo

Loc: Bedfordshire, UK
Re: Logic Express WARNING,Only 12 outputs available!!! new [Re: magenta]
      #6945 - 06/09/04 06:38 PM
hmmm, I also think it sounds like you didn't read the spec very well before buying... its an express version, you want more features, get pro... sorry to be sounding harsh, but having read this sort of post many many times before I have little sympathy

--------------------
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
There's also a negative side.

Sarge

Loc: Norfolk
Re: Logic Express WARNING,Only 12 outputs available!!! new [Re: zooloo]
      #6953 - 06/09/04 06:47 PM
If your friend is worried about this either upgrade to logic Pro or cross grade to Digtal Performer?

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3044

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media