Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
JamesM808

Loc: Brighton
Vox AD50VT
      #555691 - 11/12/07 05:08 PM
Has anyone used one of these?

In an ideal world I'd by a AC30 but my budget is not in that range, not even in the AC15 range. But I want that tone dammit, and apparently the AD50VT can replicate it along with ten other amp models plus built in effects, sounds good.

I'll be using it for small gigs plus some bedroom recording. I'm gonna go and try one at GAK at the weekend but reckoned I'd get you thoughts too.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
mcguirk

Loc: Wendover, Bucks
Re: Vox AD50VT new [Re: JamesM808]
      #555693 - 11/12/07 05:20 PM
I picked one up the other week for about £130 including shipping on Ebay.

I love it! The amp models sound pretty excellent, and even some of the effects are useable. The reverb has a great HF cut which stops it from sounding too tinny and artificial.

One really handy feature is that it has a control for the power amp level on the back - so you can get your sound sorted, but still play at neighbour-friendly levels, which is excellent.

Slight downside is that there's no FX loop (I think the AD100VT has one) but other than that, it's a cracking amp and really cheap for what you get.

Oh, and the AD50 is LOUD if you crank it.

guy999

Loc: Newcastle / Rugby
      #555751 - 11/12/07 08:04 PM
I have the two speaker version of this and it is a nice amp. I wouldnt buy it if you are a metaller however, the high gain models aren't amazing (having said that you would probably be using some disto stomp boxes anyway). The Fender Bassman, Blackface Twin, AD30 and boutique drive models are very good though. The effects are rubbish, the reverb in particular is terrible (just read the above post, and I really dont agree! obviously its highly subjective), so you may want to look at the AD100 for the effects loop. Also note headphone output doesnt have speaker modelling so as with all amps is fairly rubbish.

In hindsight, personally I would probably prefer to buy either a POD XT or a Fender HotRod Deluxe (preferably both )

Edited by guy999 (11/12/07 08:05 PM)

JamesM808

Re: Vox AD50VT new [Re: guy999]
      #555806 - 11/12/07 11:35 PM
Quote guy999:

I have the two speaker version of this and it is a nice amp. I wouldnt buy it if you are a metaller however, the high gain models aren't amazing (having said that you would probably be using some disto stomp boxes anyway). The Fender Bassman, Blackface Twin, AD30 and boutique drive models are very good though. The effects are rubbish, the reverb in particular is terrible (just read the above post, and I really dont agree! obviously its highly subjective), so you may want to look at the AD100 for the effects loop. Also note headphone output doesnt have speaker modelling so as with all amps is fairly rubbish.

In hindsight, personally I would probably prefer to buy either a POD XT or a Fender HotRod Deluxe (preferably both )

heh, i'm dabbling in folk at the mo, metal has never really been my thing

I'm not too bothered about the effects either tbh. In the past I've had wahs, distortion pedals plus a line 6 dl4 and whilst they were great to play with I always went back to a bit of crunch at most. I guess I'm more into the tone. I thought they'd be nice to play with though.

The headphone thing is bit of an arse, I have to rely on headphones quite a bit due to a psychotic neighbour, throws onions and allsorts

The Fender looks lovely, but at the price I'd rather get an AC30. Maybe I'll pop into GAK in my lunchbreak tomorrow

JamesM808

Re: Vox AD50VT new [Re: mcguirk]
      #555807 - 11/12/07 11:35 PM
Quote mcguirk:

Where?!?!

thenaturallevel

#556257 - 13/12/07 08:35 AM
I have the AD15VT and I bought it just for the "clean" sounds. I agree with the previous poster the effects are pretty poor and I would steer clear of them.

JamesM808

#556402 - 13/12/07 01:56 PM
After a bit of thought I've decided to save some more and get the AC15. I was intending to get it in the future anyway, may as well go the whole hog.

mcguirk

Loc: Wendover, Bucks
      #556406 - 13/12/07 02:06 PM
Quote Remmy's Tab:

Quote mcguirk:

Where?!?!

Er... on Ebay, like I said It was a used one, although pretty new.

And as for the effects.. I was probably a bit over-positive. The Reverb I found useable, but only really at extremes of over-the-topness or dulled right off for a bit of rockabilly spring action. The Tremelo effect is... tremelo. The rest? Well, I never use chorus/flange/phase/autowah etc etc, so I can't really comment to be honest.

That said I've just read your latest post so fair enough But for anyone reading this in the future, as far as budget amps go, this is a cracker in my opinion. Far superior to the Line6 Spider III (I use one at work) which always seems too bright to me, and all the models are a bit overly "wacky" to be that useful. Shame, as the original Spider (we have one too) was a good workhorse (really like the "Crunch" amp model). Although the effects on this are disgusting as well

thenaturallevel

Re: Vox AD50VT new [Re: mcguirk]
      #556456 - 13/12/07 05:29 PM
Quote mcguirk:

Quote Remmy's Tab:

Quote mcguirk:

Where?!?!

Er... on Ebay, like I said It was a used one, although pretty new.

And as for the effects.. I was probably a bit over-positive. The Reverb I found useable, but only really at extremes of over-the-topness or dulled right off for a bit of rockabilly spring action. The Tremelo effect is... tremelo. The rest? Well, I never use chorus/flange/phase/autowah etc etc, so I can't really comment to be honest.

That said I've just read your latest post so fair enough But for anyone reading this in the future, as far as budget amps go, this is a cracker in my opinion. Far superior to the Line6 Spider III (I use one at work) which always seems too bright to me, and all the models are a bit overly "wacky" to be that useful. Shame, as the original Spider (we have one too) was a good workhorse (really like the "Crunch" amp model). Although the effects on this are disgusting as well

Absolutely - I paid just over £100 for the AD15VT and use it mainly as a practise amp. The effects aren't great but I'm not concerned with using them.

guy999

Loc: Newcastle / Rugby
      #573556 - 29/01/08 07:04 PM
I know this is an old thread, but this is in case anyone comes back for future reference.

I recently procured a new guitar (Ibanez S470) and my opinion of this amp has gone from "good valve emulator" to "bloody excellent tone regardless of tube/dsp status". I have had the chance to play with some real tube amps recently (hotrod and ac30) and I have to say that there really is nothing in it in terms of "tone" in my opinion. I have discovered some incredible tones on the vox which wouldnt be possible on the "real" amps, for example pushing a twin to breakup. I guess it has been the pickups on my new guitar that have made all the difference, I never knew what I was missing with my old Godin Radiator (which I still think is a lovely guitar). I currently have three presets which I absolutely cannot put the guitar down with. One sparkling twin, one gritty AC15 patch, and a 57 bassman sound which can do anything from beautiful clean to dirty just on the roll of the guitar volume knob.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3309

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media