Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Ian Savage

Newbie after software advice - step up from Garageband?
      #557415 - 16/12/07 08:51 PM
How do all, I'm new around these parts so be gentle with me

I'm using a Powerbook G4 Titanium and an M-Audio FW1814 to do band location recording, pissing about with loops at home and live 'DJ-ing' (really just sticking on songs between band sets when engineering, if I'm honest ), and have got on okay with Garageband for everything for the past year or so, but I'm starting to feel a bit limited by it. I'd like to do stuff like adding effects to just one section of audio on a track, and have a few more MIDI options, audio editing and suchlike.

I've looked at M-Powered Pro Tools, since I'm on an M-Audio interface, and obviously Logic is the program of choice for a lot of Mac users - anything else I should take a look at or advice on those two?

I did a degree in Audio Technology a few years ago, and everything was largely PC based (Lord knows why!), so I'm pretty au fait with Cubase's user interface and features, but I made the jump to the Mac last year. SO much more stable, I loves it.

Um, yeah - any help or advice you guys can give me would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Ian

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
chris...

Re: Newbie after software advice - step up from Garageband? new [Re: Ian Savage]
      #557419 - 16/12/07 09:03 PM
Quote smokingbeagle:

I'm pretty au fait with Cubase's user interface and features, but I made the jump to the Mac last year. SO much more stable

For info, Cubase runs great on the mac these days.

However nothing much can compete value-for-money wise with Logic right now.

TomStrong

Loc: Liverpool, UK
Re: Newbie after software advice - step up from Garageband? new [Re: Ian Savage]
      #557426 - 16/12/07 09:12 PM
well Logic with its price drop is a very appealing peice of kit. and with Logic Express at just £130 ish, is something you may want to take a look at. Obviously going from garageband to Logic may not be such a difficult learning curve as going to pro-tools. pro-tools, may, be better for your band recording. id say take a look at Logic. "MIDI options" great, "audio editing" good, "effects" fantastic! hope this may help.
peace

Ian Savage

#557461 - 16/12/07 11:08 PM
Magic stuff, thanks; may well mooch around for an evaluation copy of Logic!

Steve Hill

Loc: Oxfordshire
      #557513 - 17/12/07 08:09 AM
Logic Express or, if you've got £300, Logic Pro. It integrates seamlessly with Garageband and includes all the Garageband Jampacks. It wouls be hard to justify anything else in your position!

--------------------
Dynamite with a laser beam...

Ian Savage

#557624 - 17/12/07 02:01 PM
That sounds good, to be honest I was looking at Pro Tools mainly due to reputation and people bemoaning the fact that you've got to have DigiDesign or M-Audio hardware to run it; thought I might take advantage of the fact that the FW1814'll work with M-Powered.

Since the price of Logic Pro 8's been cut, is it worth at looking at Logic Pro 7 as the price of that seems to have been rammed through the floor? Are the extra features of v8 worth an extra couple of hundred quid or not? I've got the SoS reviews of both, but if anyone who's upgraded or has experience of both wants to offer anything I'd be a happy beagle

matt keen

Loc: Northants, England
      #557627 - 17/12/07 02:08 PM
There are loads of Logic vs ProTools threads for you to look up.

But am amazed that you feel the need to look for a cheaper alternative to Logic 8 - it is absurdly good value for money

--------------------
Matt
www.krcollective.org

fractured

Loc: Washington DC area, USA
      #558256 - 17/12/07 04:17 PM
Most of the pro ProTools stuff is primarily about the TDM (old) or HD versions. The M Powered stuff and LE are probably not going to get you much further than Garage Band. Logic or an update/crossgrade of Cubase are probably your best bets.

--------------------
"It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up, but why should I give up when it all seems so stupid?"

TomStrong

Loc: Liverpool, UK
      #558283 - 17/12/07 05:37 PM
Quote:

Since the price of Logic Pro 8's been cut, is it worth at looking at Logic Pro 7 as the price of that seems to have been rammed through the floor? Are the extra features of v8 worth an extra couple of hundred quid or not?

no and yes. if you aint got the money for Logic 8 get Express.

Steve Hill

#558291 - 17/12/07 05:53 PM
Quote smokingbeagle:

That sounds good, to be honest I was looking at Pro Tools mainly due to reputation and people bemoaning the fact that you've got to have DigiDesign or M-Audio hardware to run it; thought I might take advantage of the fact that the FW1814'll work with M-Powered.

Since the price of Logic Pro 8's been cut, is it worth at looking at Logic Pro 7 as the price of that seems to have been rammed through the floor? Are the extra features of v8 worth an extra couple of hundred quid or not? I've got the SoS reviews of both, but if anyone who's upgraded or has experience of both wants to offer anything I'd be a happy beagle

I'm not sure what you mean... are you maybe looking at Logic 7 upgrade prices or something? Logic 7 on its own was twice the price of Logic 8 last time I looked. In any event, I wouldn't buy Logic 7... OSX is going to leave it behind, if it has not done so already - it will have a short shelf life.

--------------------

Ian Savage

#558303 - 17/12/07 06:32 PM
Great stuff, thanks for that. Had been looking around at Logic 7 secondhand (which now seems to go for around the 100-150 quid mark) and maybe upgrading; if Logic 8's worth the extra moolah I'll put the whole thing on hold for a month or so until I've got the cash for it!

I'd clocked that M-Powered PT is basically PT LE, but having had little experience of either the name and the excitement in some bits of the press that there was a non-Digidesign PT option kinda got me interested. From what you guys have said (and the Pro-Tools vs logic discussions that have come up in some forums, thanks Matt!) I think Logic's going to be the way to go.

Um, if anyone's got any thoughts on whether it's worth taking advantage of the weak dollar to buy in from the US I'd also appreciate them...hope I'm not being really cheeky by plugging you all for information when I've only just pitched up here!

fractured

Loc: Washington DC area, USA
      #558326 - 17/12/07 07:50 PM
We all started somewhere. Keep asking questions and we'll try to start you off right!

--------------------
"It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up, but why should I give up when it all seems so stupid?"

Steve Hill

#558333 - 17/12/07 08:09 PM
On whether to buy from the US, see this recent thread where nobody got too opinionated about anything much, really.

--------------------

Ian Savage

Re: Newbie after software advice - step up from Garageband? new [Re: Steve Hill]
      #558730 - 18/12/07 07:14 PM
Quote Steve Hill:

On whether to buy from the US, see this recent thread where nobody got too opinionated about anything much, really.

I enjoyed that

thenaturallevel

#558839 - 19/12/07 09:00 AM
Quote smokingbeagle:

Great stuff, thanks for that. Had been looking around at Logic 7 secondhand (which now seems to go for around the 100-150 quid mark) and maybe upgrading; if Logic 8's worth the extra moolah I'll put the whole thing on hold for a month or so until I've got the cash for it!

I'd clocked that M-Powered PT is basically PT LE, but having had little experience of either the name and the excitement in some bits of the press that there was a non-Digidesign PT option kinda got me interested. From what you guys have said (and the Pro-Tools vs logic discussions that have come up in some forums, thanks Matt!) I think Logic's going to be the way to go.

Um, if anyone's got any thoughts on whether it's worth taking advantage of the weak dollar to buy in from the US I'd also appreciate them...hope I'm not being really cheeky by plugging you all for information when I've only just pitched up here!

I have M-Powered and my next step is to move to Logic. I agree with Steve - ignore PT and go with Logic. It is much better value for money. PT LE/M-Powered is a totally different beast to HD. The price does reflect this however.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1617

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media