Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
The muso

Loc: Scotland
Top Tips new
      #561455 - 29/12/07 09:46 AM
Thought it might be useful if the old heads on here posted some of their top tips n tricks for everyone elses benefit.

Here's one regarding mic stands;

All too often mic stands end up broken at the base because of people standing on them, so when setting them up, let the central upright drop all the way to the floor, then raise it a fraction before tightening the base screw.
This means that if someone does stand on the leg, the upright takes the strain off the bush.

Anybody else?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Nathan

Loc: lincolnshire government experi...
Re: Top Tips new [Re: The muso]
      #561645 - 29/12/07 11:25 PM
good idea, saves me breaking the vocalist's legs ..

--------------------
planet nine
lincoln, uk.

Ian Savage

#561649 - 29/12/07 11:36 PM
That one I like!

Um, top of my head (and forgive me if any sound obvious):

- Leave most of the slack of a microphone cable at the stage end, not the mixer / stagebox,

- Take mic clips OFF stands and store them with or on the microphones, less likely to get broken,

- When doing this, it's a damn site easier to slacken off the stand clamp and spin the stand round than to stand there rotating the mic clip,

- If you've got a desk with a LF cut switch, perversely switching it ON for kick drums can make 'em sound great; if you then apply a bit of low boost you get a mid-low 'hump' that can really make a kick cut through a mix.

I'll have a proper think when I'm not about to start my second fourpack of the night

stevie j

#561902 - 30/12/07 11:21 PM
-Run all cables along with each other and branch them off as necessary. I run vocal mic cables in front of the monitors and backline mics behind the drummer, then just take a lead off the run to the mic when necessary.

-Don't undervalue your work, (also, don't rip people off)

-Don't take jobs you can't do, you just embarrass yourself and lose business

-Don't do 'mates rates'

-Be diplomatic with musicians, they pay you.

--------------------
Disclaimer: Advice is taken at your own risk.

jimdrake

Loc: wherever
Re: Top Tips new [Re: Ian Savage]
      #561913 - 30/12/07 11:40 PM
Quote:

- When doing this, it's a damn site easier to slacken off the stand clamp and spin the stand round than to stand there rotating the mic clip

I good way to quickly tell whether or not the guy you're working with for the night knows what he's doing.

boymarsh

Loc: Glasgow
      #561923 - 31/12/07 12:18 AM
Find out if the venue (especially function rooms) has one of those poxy sound limiters that cut power to the stage if it's too loud for too long (i know, people need to sleep). They vary from being quite forgiving to quite harsh and poorly calibrated - i've engineered a gig where it just kept going off when the drummer did anything loud (he wasnt miked up), and we had a posse of girls at the back who jumped up and hit the button to turn it back on again (probably not that great for the speakers, but they weren't mine). If they have one, test it with something and if it seems too sensitive dont do the gig as people will just assume it's your fault all the music keeps stopping.

Also, dont cross the streams.... it would be bad

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/theinsideeye

dmills

Loc: High Wycombe, UK
      #561932 - 31/12/07 12:35 AM
Subsnakes, wonderful things, use them.

Radio Mics are evil (and cheap radio mics are worse), avoid if at all possible, they just are not worth it.

Do not let the band (or worse volunteers) "help" you coil cables, ever.

If the venue has a Mackie SR40, just run away, there is no hope.

Seconded about the don't do mates rates thing, it always ends in tears.

First thing on arrival at a venue, learn the stage managers name, also the names of the chief electrician, the board operators, and the barman. It is noticed and it does help.

If there is any chance vidiots will turn up at the last minute, have power and audio (ideally from a matrix) laid on in advance, you will have to provide a transformer isolated feed to a 3.5mm jack, because sure as hell they wont have the appropriate hardware (they never do). The reason for going to the trouble is that they will not ASK, they will just plug in while your back is turned (likely as not into your main output insert point, BTDT!). Also watch for additional unexpected radio mics from this source, they never do frequency coordination with you (A cluestick under the desk helps deal with these folks).

If using multiple mics in a unrehearsed scenario, do wrap coloured tape around the back of the mics (applies in spades to radio mikes), much easier to spot that the talent has picked up the wrong mic this way.

If you wind up responsible for event power (tends to happen to me for some reason), watch the caterers. There is always an "Extra" tea urn or two, and they are all convinced that using a 4 way board means you can draw 13A from all 4 outlets, they also tend to plug into any available outlet without bothering to ask.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The C in "Rap" is silent!

Regards, Dan.

--------------------
Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

The muso

#561992 - 31/12/07 10:30 AM
Handy things for the toolbox;

Bodgers.
I'll usually have my box of jumpers with me at gigs, containing pairs of xlr to phono, xlr to speakon, 1/8th inch stereo to pair of xlrs etc etc.
Just try and cover any eventuality.

A useful one, is a 9v battery with bare ended cables soldered on.
If you're trying to trace a cable in a venue with no mains or audio running, you can attach to one end, then go looking at the other end, either with a meter, or if all else fails, your tongue.

hifistud2

Loc: Near Sunderland, UK
      #562019 - 31/12/07 12:23 PM
Fader knobs are usually relatively easy to swap around, so mark sections on the desk with a different coloured knob - if you follow to usual kick/snare/OH/Toms../../../bass/guit 1/guit2/keys sort of layout, bung a different colour on the bass channel - it's just another way of sorting where you're at.

If you're sorting the tech rider for a tour/gig, and the venue is a 300 capacity club, don't expect them to bring in a 48 channel Midas 3000 or XL8 for you - you'll take 20 folks off their capacity and neck end of £500 off their profits...

If you're a touring engineer, don't treat venue staff like slaves. Please and Thank-You cost nothing, and a timely, well-phrased request works when a demand will get you nowhere. Remember, the venue wants it all to work and go smoothly, but they will be limited in resources and, possibly, experience.

Always remember, if you specced it, but you can't make it work, don't blame the guy that's just carried it up five flights of stairs.

CARRY SPARES! Have PP3s and AA/AAA batteries handy, have spare mics, mic leads, spare guitar leads extra four-way mains, board tape, a roll of cheap gaffa (you *know* someone will want to borrow some) and any other bits you can think of.

Lay you mains drops out before anything else - always assume the talent will want power at the front for pedal boards. Gaffa over any power sockets you don't want the talent to use - that way you can keep front line and backline on the same circuit. Pull a separate line for the drummer's fan, preferably on a different coloured extension.

Whether you're FOH or Monitor engineer, stay sober until you've packed away - both booze and exotic substances affect your hearing, and it's your hearing that makes you a good exponent of the art. (a boring old fart speaks).

--------------------
[url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/hifi-studios/117322741632389[/url]

lightman

Loc: Gloucestershire, UK
      #562099 - 31/12/07 04:49 PM
Cable testers with XLR, Speakon and Jack are a lifesaver.

Don't use anything other than Neutrik connectors and decent thick cable if you want a hassle free life.

If you have the time, label EVERYTHING with white PVC tape and a sharpie...if it's a tour its worth doing this more permanently.

Always aim to have more desk/multicore ch's, mics, cables and stands than you think you'll need.

On the get-out, try to keep things sane to save time on the next get-in.

--------------------
Cheers, Ben Gummery, Techie

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #562107 - 31/12/07 05:04 PM
If touring still involves a Transit Van and you are not in your early twenties, get out NOW!

Nathan

Re: Top Tips new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #562184 - 31/12/07 09:27 PM
Top Tip!

buy lots of gear in your twenties and thirties while grafting as a sound engineer, bung password-locked limiters on every amp, even if its just for monitors, then when you hit forty: -hire it all out on new years eve for elevated rates and swan off down the pub while your gear and other people earn you enough money for january and february...

happy new year everybody..! i'm off dahn the pub now (hic)

--------------------
planet nine
lincoln, uk.

seablade

Re: Top Tips [Re: Nathan]
      #562215 - 01/01/08 04:58 AM
Quote Nathan:

Top Tip!

buy lots of gear in your twenties and thirties while grafting as a sound engineer, bung password-locked limiters on every amp, even if its just for monitors, then when you hit forty: -hire it all out on new years eve for elevated rates and swan off down the pub while your gear and other people earn you enough money for january and february...

happy new year everybody..! i'm off dahn the pub now (hic)

Me envious....

Happy New Years to you too;)

Seablade

Much to broke to afford to much, though me and the wifey have talked about starting up a company. Think it depends on where I end up in the next couple of years.

BoogieBear

Loc: Anglesey UK
      #562226 - 01/01/08 09:57 AM
Hi there

I prefer to use releasable tie wraps for cables instead of PVC or 'Gaffa' tape which always goes sticky

Oh, and don't forget the DFA fader on the desk

This is for when the mother/wife/girlfriend of the guitarist keeps coming up to you during the gig saying he's not loud enough - you give a healthy little push on fader and they go away happy

This of course is a spare fader not allocated to the mix so it 'does f***k all' - DFA

Cheers & Happy New Year
Anton

--------------------
You see when I was a young kid Elvis was top of the charts - That's 'Presley' not Costello!

Nathan

Re: Top Tips new [Re: seablade]
      #562251 - 01/01/08 01:09 PM
seablade,

concentrate on something small, light and expensive: mics, esp radio mics is good, then break into the corporate market. learn your subject inside out, carry lots of redundant gear -get known for always having an idea, an answer, a solution for any problem.

hire stuff out in the right markets for decent rates and use your reputation and service quality. keep your overheads down.

don't buy lots of big stuff like me which needs vans and trucks to move around, big places to store and people to help you move and stack, wrecks your hearing...

video and corporate presentation is another goodie to get into if you can do it well. gear can be expensive and you need more people tho.

look for gaps in the service with technical gear, look for the paying customers...

good luck.

--------------------
planet nine
lincoln, uk.

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #563106 - 03/01/08 08:58 PM
as a crap businessman, I have bought some very nice (some of it heavy) gear. But it does sound fab on and off stage, so hopefully I'll soon earn more than the interest payments and depreciation.

Tips:

* Mercedes Sprinters are nicer than Transits
* Pushy parents of talent always hassle and never give anything back. Ever.
* Point the PA in the right direction. Most engineers don't: Coverage. . . wassat? Wall reflections. . . Eh? Slapback. . . Huh?
* Always chat up and help the caterers. Then have loads of re-corked wine at the gig's end
* But if the caterers have all-electric gear and no generator ... RUN!
* If you need glasses, put some cheap ones in the back of the rack, with the rack torch. Coo! 2 tips in one, there.
* If you get an assistant, do not EVER get a rugby-player type
* Have a crap mic case with dead mics in, which are smeared with honey mixed with ink. Leave open in a tempting, darkish place.

--------------------
Next on with Pembrokeshire Intimate Gigs

Nathan

Re: Top Tips new [Re: Guy Johnson]
      #563129 - 03/01/08 10:38 PM
Quote Guy Johnson:

* Have a crap mic case with dead mics in, which are smeared with honey mixed with ink. Leave open in a tempting, darkish place.

...you had mics walked off with Guy?

the problem with our game is there's lots of individual small expensive pieces to make up a rig, and some people can't help themselves...

--------------------
planet nine
lincoln, uk.

turtles

Loc: Notts, mostly.
      #563146 - 03/01/08 11:43 PM
A wide roll of not-very-sticky yellow/black chevron tape is third on my list next to gaffer and electrical tape. Just sticky enough to hold on to the sides of a rack, but won't stick to the knobs of any gear in said rack. Ideal for stopping the opportunist button-pusher from 'tweaking' the controller/EQ/comps etc int the dead time between soundcheck and event- what they can't see, they don't tend to touch.

Guy Johnson

#563156 - 04/01/08 12:25 AM
Yes, Nathan, had some nicked. More form a venue I work in a lot. I'd love to catch any [ ****** ] nicking something. But embarrassing and pissing them off is probably better!

So, a New Tip:

*Never do 'yoof band' nights with 4 or 5 bands and their hangers-on. Bound to be some thieving shits in there somewhere.

--------------------

Nathan

#563159 - 04/01/08 12:48 AM
i had a spare vocal mic taken from a stand onstage by an audience member at a zombie metal gig coupla months ago. most of the audience were, well, kids -so i stopped the gig and announced why. after five minutes i turned all the amp gains down to show i meant it and the mic pretty immediately reappeared. pity i had to treat everyone like children, but i got the backing of most of the audience, the band and the promoters afterwards. i think the miscreant got a summary kicking afterwards, i was told he'd been "dealt with".

while i was learning my trade, my jedi mentor always drummed into me how the mics were the first thing to get off stage at the end of the set, but that doesn't help you when they're nicked halfway thru the headline act..!

--------------------
planet nine
lincoln, uk.

IvanSC

Loc: UK France & USA depending on t...
Re: Top Tips new [Re: Nathan]
      #563246 - 04/01/08 09:55 AM
Nathan - dare one ask exactly what constitues Zombie Metal?

Ivan-the-innocent-old-duffer

--------------------
Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

Nathan

Re: Top Tips new [Re: IvanSC]
      #563751 - 05/01/08 05:32 PM
its a sub-genre of shouty thrasy metal where the band and the audience dress up like extras from "dawn of the dead". some people take fake severed limbs and throw them around the mosh pit.

honestly, straight-up. it was fun apart from the mic incident.

i think the band was called "send more paramedics"...

--------------------
planet nine
lincoln, uk.

IvanSC

Loc: UK France & USA depending on t...
      #563880 - 06/01/08 02:52 AM
Now apart from the music, that sounds like FUN!

--------------------
Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

jimthedrum

Loc: Worcester, UK
      #564446 - 07/01/08 06:07 PM
I finally got around to getting some mics repaired and was amazed at some of the prices quoted from the manufacturers themselves. if your considering microphones its worth knowing that Rhode have a 10 year warranty, audio technica are very cheap to repair, i have a few pro 35's needing repairing and was quoted about £35-£45 each. A new shure sm58 and beta 58 capsule would cost more than buying a whole new microphone. tgey offered a discount on purchasing a new one off the rrp to about what you can get them new for if you shop around. I'm afraid its one more reason why i wont be considering shure microphones from now on

p.dakin

#564545 - 07/01/08 11:24 PM
Quote Nathan:

while i was learning my trade, my jedi mentor always drummed into me how the mics were the first thing to get off stage at the end of the set

Yup Yoda taught me this too.

My tips would be:
*BUY CUSTOM MOLDED EAR PLUGS!

*Another for the mic stand trick. It really works!

*Never wrap xlr around mic stand, unless you are 120% sure mic will not be taken off stand. Just pop xlr over boom tightner, or once around boom if you must wrap. That way when a singer takes mic off, xlr doesn't get snagged, singer doesn't get annoyed and stand is far less likely to be throw to the floor/audience/band and be made to suffer for 'embarrassing' the singer!

*If doing monitors (on analogue board), cut tiny bits of tape up, pop next to aux send pot and mark position of a solo. I.e if acoustic guitarist moves and walks up to center mix for one song. When you sound check that song you can mark position of desired level. Then knock it back, to original level. Then during show you'll know exact place for desired level.

*For a major Re-patch, run tape along a surface, write your numbers 1-XX, then cut up. If you're clever you can probably get 20 channel numbers on two hands and still be able to find the right xlr. Much quicker, neater and saves jumping up and down all the time.

*When packing up, pack up in piles. That way when you un-pack everything is together, you don't have to keep moving around unit/warehouse/shed/bedroom to move an xlr here a power cable over there etc!

*Double pack lunch.. You never know when your food rider might disappear or never arrive!

*Double pack ear plugs, in case you forget you custom molded ones!

*Toolbox with at least two of every gender bender you can imagine; take a soldering iron to make the ones you didn't!

Main thing is to always try and smile and have fun! Remember, this is a dam cool job!

Guy Johnson

#564573 - 08/01/08 01:54 AM
"*Never wrap xlr around mic stand, unless you are 120% sure mic will not be taken off stand. Just pop xlr over boom tightner, or once around boom if you must wrap. That way when a singer takes mic off, xlr doesn't get snagged, singer doesn't get annoyed and stand is far less likely to be throw to the floor/audience/band and be made to suffer for 'embarrassing' the singer! "

I'd say completely the opposite. People expect the wrapping, especially rappers.

There is a useful reason for doing it, and that is... all the cable loosely coiled around the stand and boom damps stage-born vibration, so you have to cut less high bass, and the vocals sound better. Mind you, if someone takes off the mic, that really damps the mic! But then often they point it at monitors. I've noticed that it's mainly big–fish–from–small–pond females that remove mics, and then ponce around on stage with hands at waist height, twisted outwards, so that it's inevitable there will be some feedback. Sigh.

Hmm. That turned out a wee bit like a rant! Oh, well, never mind.

--------------------

Edited by Guy Johnson (08/01/08 01:58 AM)

dmills

#564579 - 08/01/08 03:15 AM
One for theatre:
Get a spiral bound notebook, cut it down so it is only a an inch or two wide, then put it above the VCA masters.

Each cue can then be labelled up on one page and you have a quick note of what is assigned where on each cue.

Regards, Dan.

--------------------

The muso

#568274 - 16/01/08 03:49 PM
Bump!
900 views on this thread.
Keep them coming peeps.

Personally, I want an explanation of the 'Ink & Honey' on a microphone, as I didn't understand that.

Guy Johnson

#569436 - 18/01/08 10:35 PM
get guitarists to change their strings the day before the gig

--------------------

Sheriton

Loc: Leicester, UK
      #569442 - 18/01/08 10:55 PM
Quote Guy Johnson:

get guitarists to change their strings the day before the gig

And to stretch them properly so they stay in tune for more than two bars.
And be able to tell when they're out of tune.
And to use a tuner when their ears clearly aren't up to the job.
And to bring their own spare strings with them.

</rant>

--------------------
There's nothing we can't face... Except for bunnies

dmills

#569447 - 18/01/08 11:18 PM
Drummers tuning would be a nice novelty too....

Regards, Dan.

--------------------

hifistud2

Loc: Near Sunderland, UK
Re: Top Tips new [Re: dmills]
      #569460 - 19/01/08 12:26 AM
Quote dmills:

Drummers tuning would be a nice novelty too....

... and just occasionally putting new heads on the kit...

... and taking even just one of the fifteen pillows out of the kick drum...

and BUYING THEIR OWN BL00DY GAFFER TAPE!!!

--------------------
[url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/hifi-studios/117322741632389[/url]

Guy Johnson

#569553 - 19/01/08 12:53 PM
...And BRINGING A BLOODY CARPET for their drums to sit on!!!

And I 2nd the tuning of drums. Sometimes they sound like a series of cardboard boxes,each hollower–sounding than the last.

--------------------

Matt P

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #569563 - 19/01/08 01:08 PM
Yes and yes!

My personal favourite 'drummer-ism' was halfway through a sound check getting a request from the front man on behalf of the drummer who was wondering if I had any spare 5B nylon-tipped sticks he could borrow, because he'd just broken one and didn't have any spares.

When I asked if he was serious, there was a brief pause before, "erm, well I guess wood tips would be ok if you don't have nylon ones...". I had to double check to make sure that I hadn't accidentally daubed 'Sound Control - Hi! My name is: Matt' onto my shirt.

Unbelievable.

dmills

Re: Top Tips new [Re: Matt P]
      #569759 - 20/01/08 12:20 AM
Quote Matt P:

My personal favourite 'drummer-ism' was halfway through a sound check getting a request from the front man on behalf of the drummer who was wondering if I had any spare 5B nylon-tipped sticks he could borrow, because he'd just broken one and didn't have any spares.

Growl, been there, I didn't, but DID have a set of brushes he could use (Kept in store for the exact purpose of making that particular point)!

Actually carrying a drum key (as well as spare sticks, tape, and a kick pedal that actually works properly) would all be a bonus. Also, having a kit where all the bits are present and nothing has a knackered thread would really impress.

Of course spare batteries for that all important effects pedal, spare strings, a spare lead and an amp that is not G***^£d, is probably the guitarist equivalent.

Combine that with an input list and stage plan sent in advance that turns out to be correct, and that doesn't specify a H3K in a 200 capacity house, and you are well on the way to being favourably remembered.

Regards, Dan.

--------------------

the muppet

Loc: with my head stuck up my a£se...
      #569789 - 20/01/08 08:46 AM
I use PVC tape to keep my cables together, but, and here is the clever part, wrap it with the sticky side outwards so that the cables don't get all sticky and gunky! It works really well!

I actually carry spare drum sticks with me (a couple of different flavours) along with a set of 9's for the guitarist and a spare set for the bassist! I'm also not afraid to charge them for them, can be a nice little earner of beer tokens!

Another top tip for all you out there, remember to make things easy for the get out!! Recently on a pretty strange outdoor theatre gig (NewcastleGateshead Innitiative carry on) we were asked to run some 63a 3ph in the air over a path way. Not a problem I thought and set someone onto it.

An hour later he told me it was done, and when I asked why it had taken so long, he informed me that for the ease of the get out, he had rigged a series of ratchet straps up a tree to carry the cable, so at the end of the week, we undid a knot and it all fell down! Great, apart from the other side he'd cable tied it to a lamp post every 6 inches! Not good at 2am when it's very cold, wet and I have water running down my back!

--------------------
The early bird may catch the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!

jamaicanDave

#571853 - 24/01/08 10:18 PM
go as simple as possible....less compression, and eq. less mics!! - don't need 10 mics on a drumkit with a small gig. less monitors mixes, small bands don't need or pay for 8 mixes when 4 is ok.
.....the FAD, or dummy knob is a brilliant idea as well, twist that until they have gotten enuff....

skirm

#575502 - 02/02/08 10:52 PM
Box of 10 x pp3 with "£5 each" printed inside the lid.

Lots of short XLRs can be joined to make big ones or separated when needed.

Variation on adapter theme:
2 x 1/4" jacks into male xlr
2 x 1/4" jacks into female xlr

Just seems to solve loads of awkward connections. Once turned up at a folk gig in Norway with 2 hifi speakers as house PA, noticed 3k disco system hidden in the rafters and using these bodgers with some XLRs between them hooked up my Mackie 1202 and gave them a night to remember.

Carry spare Mackie 1202. (About £50 each now)

Guy Johnson

#575594 - 03/02/08 10:46 AM
Breakdown fixing/recovery cover. Me I'm with the RAC

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 8602

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media