Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
steve355

Loc: Stevenage, Herts
rap vocal new
      #594457 - 23/03/08 05:42 PM

I have a hip hop section in a track I am doing and I want to get a big thick vocal sound, similar to Kanye on "stronger". I read the SOS Manny Marroquin write up, which was great but it cited "numerous processors", and I dont have a load of outboard gear. Does anyone have any tips, or favourite tricks? (this isn't my usual stle of music so I have no clue what I am doing )

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Andrew Fry

Loc: Hackney, London, UK
Re: rap vocal [Re: steve355]
      #594485 - 23/03/08 06:45 PM
Last year I engineered a grime album with limited equipment and if it's any use I'll list some basic techniques I used to use:

- If it's for a chorus/hook section then it's good to double or treble the vocals, and if you spend some time with the vocalist to perfect the different takes - i.e. maybe different pitches, or emphasis on certain words or phrases it can increase the impact on the section.

- By putting different plug-ins or effects on the separate takes can also help this - panning, reverb etc all specific to each take.

- Obviously you'll need to compress the vocals to help fit them in the mix better, but you could experiment with a clear vocal take with soft compression (which can be put at the front of the mix), and maybe the other parts compressed hard to again increase their impact.

That's only a couple of ideas, but as you can see I found that by having multiple takes, and by using multiple processing and mixing techniques on each separate one can help give the desired effect.

Hope that's some help, and wasn't written too badly, and feel free to contact me if there's anything else I can help with...

--------------------
PowerBook G4; Logic Express 7; Akai MPC-2500; Korg PadKONTROL; Alesis Photon X25; 2X Technics SL-1210MK2; Numark DM-1001MX

Daniel

Loc: New York
Re: rap vocal new [Re: steve355]
      #594855 - 24/03/08 06:40 PM
I think that compression will bring you close the sound you are looking for and the use of proximity effect as well. Try recording that rap verse close to the mic maybe just two inches away and put it through a compression plugin like Waves Rvox if you have it.

- Dan

--------------------
# Daniel #

steve355

Loc: Stevenage, Herts
Re: rap vocal new [Re: Daniel]
      #594883 - 24/03/08 07:30 PM
cool, thanks guys. I will try out the suggestions.

I wonder then why Kanye needs a squillion different processors, parallel de-essing etc.

But I'm pretty sure the suggestions will work... I like the idea of proximity effect + compression.

Andrew Fry

Loc: Hackney, London, UK
Re: rap vocal new [Re: steve355]
      #595180 - 25/03/08 01:47 PM
I don't think it's a matter of Kanye West 'needing' the extra processing, but was it 11 engineers he went through (mentioned in the article), so I think we can safely put that down to being too picky, and if you're Kanye West you've got the backing to act like that!

--------------------
PowerBook G4; Logic Express 7; Akai MPC-2500; Korg PadKONTROL; Alesis Photon X25; 2X Technics SL-1210MK2; Numark DM-1001MX

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1184

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media