Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
bequick_x

Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration... new [Re: Andy Cobley]
      #622660 - 03/06/08 09:26 PM
I heard from a friend of a friend that SC has been bought out?, I went to the one in birmingham on monday, and looked like business as usual. And as usual i thought the customer service was ****, as i walked to the counter with my strings i thought i was invisible until i said, 'can i pay for these please?' Not suprised they gone bust

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
comradec

Loc: Stockton-on-Tees, UK
Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration... new [Re: bequick_x]
      #622719 - 03/06/08 11:55 PM
Quote bequick_x:

I heard from a friend of a friend that SC has been bought out?, I went to the one in birmingham on monday, and looked like business as usual. And as usual i thought the customer service was ****, as i walked to the counter with my strings i thought i was invisible until i said, 'can i pay for these please?' Not suprised they gone bust

I think you'll find the remaining stores are operating on skeleton staffing at the moment, just the bare minimum.

Sometimes, of course, when we complain about not being served sufficiently quickly in a shop, the reason is that the staff are busy dealing with other customers' queries. If you were one of those other customers and a staff member had abandoned you as soon as someone else waved their hand, you probably wouldn't be happy about that either.

That said, someone ought to be at the counter ready to process transactions.

--------------------
Steve Cooke
http://soundcloud.com/stevecooke

Dave Rowles

Loc: Isle of Man
Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration... new [Re: comradec]
      #622730 - 04/06/08 12:30 AM
Depends. I worked for a time at Richer Sounds and they run on such a skeleton staffing level that they couldn't sit someone on the till just doing orders. But then again, you couldn't buy anything unless you talked to a sales guy so it's a slightly different situation.

I have encountered the same thing on several occasions with staff not seeming to be interested in serving me. Having worked in retail I know the difference between being busy and chatting to work mates. It was the later not the former. But as you say, now they are probably rushed a bit.

--------------------
www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Edited by Exavior Music (04/06/08 12:31 AM)

Parker Fly

Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration... new [Re: bequick_x]
      #622757 - 04/06/08 05:59 AM
Quote bequick_x:

What did you want them to do, patronise you by asking "Do you need any help choosing some strings?". Some people prefer not to be approached, infact some of us find it rude and far prefer to ask for assistance only when we need it.

* User requested

Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration... new [Re: Parker Fly]
      #622789 - 04/06/08 08:10 AM
Quote Parker Fly:

What did you want them to do, patronise you by asking "Do you need any help choosing some strings?". Some people prefer not to be approached, infact some of us find it rude and far prefer to ask for assistance only when we need it.

In all honesty, do you feel patronised if a shop assistant asks if you need any help, when you're in a store?

Parker Fly

Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration... new [Re: * User requested deletion 2 *]
      #622797 - 04/06/08 08:35 AM
Quote reid:

In all honesty, do you feel patronised if a shop assistant asks if you need any help, when you're in a store?

Yes, I'd feel patronised if someone asked if I needed help in choosing some strings. I was quite specific in regards to asking for help for a relatively menial matter. We are all capable of asking for help if we need it, I cannot understand why people complain when no one approaches as all they need do is politely ask for help themselves.

As much as one person moans for not being asked if they need help, someone else moans at being hassled and asked if they need help.

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #622798 - 04/06/08 08:35 AM
Quote Parker Fly:

Some people prefer not to be approached, infact some of us find it rude and far prefer to ask for assistance only when we need it.

And others think it just as rude if we are ignored and not offered help.

Not immediately jumped on, but a good shop assistant keeps an eye on a customer and approaches them with an offer of help at the appropriate moment.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

comradec

Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration... new [Re: * User requested deletion 2 *]
      #622802 - 04/06/08 08:44 AM
Quote reid:

Can't say that I do, no. Certainly not if asked in a music store, where it's quite likely I'll actually need help if I'm looking to buy something, either in terms of expertise or simply enabling me to access a product locked in a cabinet.

There are some stores where it can be annoying, though. Not the initial asking, that's no problem, but the ones where the shop assistant will follow you around even after you've said you're fine and don't require any assistance. Maybe I look like a potential shoplifter? I don't think that's ever happened to me in a music store, but it used to be commonplace in the electrical/computer chains run by the Dixons group.

--------------------
Steve Cooke

Steve Hill

Loc: Oxfordshire
Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration... new [Re: Ben]
      #622803 - 04/06/08 08:46 AM
Being slightly pedantic, I expect to be patronised in a shop, since I am a patron.

I have no problem with people offering to help me (that's their job), as long as they in turn have no problem if I say not yet, I'm just browsing.

Funnily enough I went into a shop only last week to buy some very specific guitar strings and the proprietor (not staff), who I know, engaged me in a conversation about another brand where he had a 3 for 2 promotion, and I decided to try them instead. I can't see any harm in making people aware of offers, new products etc. and for me part of the joy of being in a real shop rather than clicking a mouse is the chance to chat, slow down a bit, have a look at alternatives, and generally - hopefully - have a pleasurable experience.

--------------------
Dynamite with a laser beam...

Parker Fly

Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration... new [Re: John Willett]
      #622823 - 04/06/08 09:17 AM
Quote John Willett:

And others think it just as rude if we are ignored and not offered help.

It doesn't answer my question; why not simply ask for help when you need it?

Operating in this manner would completely remove those irritating experiences when a shop assistant offers assistance at the wrong moment, or offers assistance that isn't required.

Parker Fly

#622825 - 04/06/08 09:19 AM
Quote comradec:

Can't say that I do, no. Certainly not if asked in a music store, where it's quite likely I'll actually need help if I'm looking to buy something, either in terms of expertise or simply enabling me to access a product locked in a cabinet.

So why not politely ask for said help when you require it?

Quote comradec:

There are some stores where it can be annoying, though.

You have contradicted yourself.

comradec

#622828 - 04/06/08 09:26 AM
Quote Parker Fly:

It doesn't answer my question; why not simply ask for help when you need it?

Operating in this manner would completely remove those irritating experiences when a shop assistant offers assistance at the wrong moment, or offers assistance that isn't required.

Because people are not all the same. Not everyone is confident about approaching shop staff. Or about approaching anyone for that matter. Some folks need a little bit of prompting, someone else to break the ice.

If you don't understand that, then I hope you're not working in any job that requires the ability to empathise with other human beings.

And what is "irritating" about being offered assistance? Being offered it repeatedly during the same visit when you've already declined the offer is irritating, yes, but not just the once. That's being polite and helpful.

--------------------
Steve Cooke

comradec

#622832 - 04/06/08 09:34 AM
Quote Parker Fly:

Quote comradec:

So why not politely ask for said help when you require it?

Quote comradec:

There are some stores where it can be annoying, though.

You have contradicted yourself.

No, I haven't. You edited my posting to make it look like I contradicted myself.

The bit you removed made it clear that I thought it was annoying being asked if I needed help only in stores where staff continued to follow me around after I'd declined their offer of assistance.

Not sure why you'd want to do that, but you did.

--------------------
Steve Cooke

Parker Fly

#622843 - 04/06/08 09:59 AM
You have derided Dixon's staff for being pro-active for repeatedly offering help, yet you request help in other stores, specifically music, when you need assistance in a product you don't understand or is locked in a cabinet.

Some people need help in Dixon's, but not in a music store, so your argument offers no help to them.

Both scenarios are covered by people simply asking for help when they require it.

comradec

#622847 - 04/06/08 10:04 AM
Quote Parker Fly:

Some people need help in Dixon's, but not in a music store, so your argument offers no help to them.

Both scenarios are covered by people simply asking for help when they require it.

Your simplistic worldview makes you not really worth arguing with. Especially as you edit other contributors' postings solely to distort what they've said.

--------------------
Steve Cooke

Parker Fly

#622850 - 04/06/08 10:17 AM
Quote comradec:

Your simplistic worldview makes you not really worth arguing with. Especially as you edit other contributors' postings solely to distort what they've said.

The simplistic view is always the best and most approprite view to take; the onus should be on the person concerned to ask for help if they need it. All too often people want to others to be accountable for their actions.

This thread has now ambled off-topic and for that reason I see no need for a reply.

Edited by Parker Fly (04/06/08 10:18 AM)

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #622854 - 04/06/08 10:37 AM
Quote Parker Fly:

You have derided Dixon's staff for being pro-active for repeatedly offering help, yet you request help in other stores, specifically music, when you need assistance in a product you don't understand or is locked in a cabinet.

Comradec said nothing of the sort.

He is the same as most people, I think.

Give the customer a few minutes and, at the appropriate time, offer help.

If help is refused, fine, leave the customer to browse and let him/her ask for help when required (though no harm in asking "are you still OK?" if the customer is there for a long time.

Continually offering help is just as bad as offering no help and is just as annoying.

I must admit, I think you are on your own here, Parker.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration... [Re: Ben]
      #622870 - 04/06/08 11:10 AM
This thread has drifted on and off the subject for long enough, and personal preferences regarding customer service really aren't relevant and finish this thing off for me -- especially given the latest lack of accord and its potential for flames.

I'm locking the thread here, partly to prevent further pointless bickering and baiting from Mr Fly, and partly because we could do without an 11 page thread held open on the server!

I suggest any further comments on the potential rescue of the ST shops is discussed in a new thread.

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 111472

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media