Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Doctor. Bagu

Channel seperation - recording question.
      #627706 - 17/06/08 07:06 PM
(Apologies in advance if this is a very common 'noob' question, but I think it is somewhat over looked in the home-studio situation..)

okay, I have a behringer UB1202 (pictured below)
<br>

...And a PC based low budget recording studio.

My soundcard is a Creative sound blaster Audigy 4 (w/ line in , line in/mic and firewire inputs on the hub)

To cut to the chase, I sometimes record drums, or other multi-channel mic'd instruments. When the audio signal is input into my sound card it comes through as one channel in Cubase (SX3).

I was just wondering what the cheapest method would be to be able to send the mixer output, (preferably into only one input on the computer), but be able to mix the kick, snare (i.e: seperate channels) seperately within cubase.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated, Thank you.

--------------------
RODE NT-1a, 2 x Samson C02 pencil condensors, Shure SM57, AKG D112, BehringerUB12Mixer w/PhantomPwr.CREATIVE Audigy 4 Soundcard Hub, Cubase SX3

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
gingertimmins

Re: Channel seperation - recording question. new [Re: Doctor. Bagu]
      #627709 - 17/06/08 07:17 PM
To do this you need a sound card with multi ins/outs.
You would also need to ensure that each channel on your mixer has it's own out. On your mixer, I can only see a way of recording 2 individual channels at once.
to record a drum kit your are likely to need an 8 channel mixer/ pre amp and an 8 input soundcard.
You'll also need enough microphones.
Personally, I use an m-audio 1010LT soundcard which was a little over £100 and an 8 channel mixer with 8 direct outs.
Whatever signal goes through my mixer on channel 1, goes to input 1 of my soundcard and onto its own track in cubase.

hope that makes a bit of sense!!
You're looking at a few hundred quid to be honest!!!

Doctor. Bagu

Re: Channel seperation - recording question. new [Re: gingertimmins]
      #630288 - 25/06/08 11:06 AM
Thanks...Yeah I s'pose everything in the music tech. world costs a fair bit anyway.

Shame, cos I have a perfectly nice sound card as it is...but you do what you have to do..

Someone said something about having a firewire mixer might help, the signal carried seperates each channel? I'm not sure..just for others reference really. I'm sorted. Well, once I get a job...

Thanks again!

--------------------
RODE NT-1a, 2 x Samson C02 pencil condensors, Shure SM57, AKG D112, BehringerUB12Mixer w/PhantomPwr.CREATIVE Audigy 4 Soundcard Hub, Cubase SX3

MaTr1x2051

Loc: AZ, USA
      #630412 - 25/06/08 04:41 PM
The firewire capabilities can sometimes be interfaced with your software to achieve multi channel setups. That's how my Pro Tools rig works... one firewire to the computer, but I can run 18 channels separately. See if you can find what programs your board can interface with via firewire.

--------------------
Winding Road Studios
Speaking Audio Blog

Doctor. Bagu

Re: Channel seperation - recording question. new [Re: MaTr1x2051]
      #631175 - 27/06/08 06:13 PM
great thank you, this could be a cheaper option.

Thanks!

--------------------

JamesSimpson

#631186 - 27/06/08 06:29 PM
Erm it wouldnt be a cheaper option, youd be buying a new mixer and a soundcard in one. Cheaper to just buy a soundcard with multi-ins. Sound cannot be seperated from one channel from one recording, just like you cannot split a stereo cd out into its seperate parts guitar drums bass.

Have a look at some firewire interfaces on the net. Presonus, Tascam, M audio, Alesis. All should be around a price suitable.

Perhaps this belongs in the newbie section?

--------------------
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1703

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media