Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Ian Stewart

Upgrading firewire interface - any suggestions please?
      #661058 - 26/09/08 08:52 PM
The time has come for me to upgrade my firewire interface, at present I am using the M-Audio 410.

On the PC forum (Oh my god I so can't believe I admitted to reading that forum) the RME FF400 is highly recommended, would that be a good choice?

I use :

Mac PB 15"
Logic, Ableton, Renoise, Reason
Adam A7 monitors

Basically 1 stereo in and 3 or 4 stereo outs would be fine. Also 96hz/24 is fine, although I am more likely to use 88.2/24 if I use a higher sampling rate.

--------------------
No longer a forum member.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
stratquebec

Loc: Quebec/Canada
Re: Upgrading firewire interface - any suggestions please? new [Re: Ian Stewart]
      #661089 - 26/09/08 11:26 PM
One thing is sure. It can't be a bad choice.!

--------------------

Ian Stewart

Re: Upgrading firewire interface - any suggestions please? new [Re: Ian Stewart]
      #661180 - 27/09/08 01:11 PM
I have just read the SOS review of the Konnekt 24D. Does any one know which has the better sound quality - the Konnekt 24D or RME 400?

Thanks,

Ian

--------------------
No longer a forum member.

stratquebec

Loc: Quebec/Canada
      #661198 - 27/09/08 02:52 PM
Sound quality is so subjective it's impossible to say that one sound's better than the other as long as your in the same price range, generaly interfaces sounds equal so to speak. It's exactly as asking which speakers sound better...

Rather set your criterias according to your needs:
A mobile interface? Has to work as a standalone device?
How much sim inputs you need?
Do you need 10 outputs rather than two?
Do you need ADAT?
Having the jacks in front or behind, does it matter to you?
Metering needed or just an overload indicator is ok?
One or two headphones jacks?
Built-in or external power-supply, is that important to you?
Etc Etc..

About reviews:
You'll always find good and bad reviews of anything available on the market so take users reviews with a grain of salt. Personnaly I find the custommer support to be one of the most if not the most important criteria to take in account so when I read reviews I focus on that. IMHO, a companie that hava a good custommer support sells good products. This is as simple.

You simply CAN'T go wrong with the most popular brand names. It's always question of what you need and what's your budget.

If you were satisfied with M-Audio why not upgrade for... another M-audio! The profire series looks interesting isn't it?

On my side I'm more than happy with my Saffire Le.

--------------------

Bob Moose

#661201 - 27/09/08 03:01 PM
Hello,

I use a FF400 with a black MacBook laptop and with an old Shuttle PC. This is a great sound card in my opinion, I would not choose anything else for my work currently (even the FF800 because it's less portable and it can't be bus-powered).
I don't use sample rates higher than 48000Hz nor any of the softwares you mentionned, so I can't tell you more about it.

Regards,
-j

Bob Moose

Re: Upgrading firewire interface - any suggestions please? new [Re: stratquebec]
      #661202 - 27/09/08 03:02 PM
Quote stratquebec:

If you were satisfied with M-Audio why not upgrade for... another M-audio! The profire series looks interesting isn't it?

That's true.

tant

#661783 - 29/09/08 11:51 AM
I just bought a Motu Ultralite and i use it with a 2.4 MBP.

Works perfectly so far,sounds good and loads of I/O and is small enough to fit in laptop bag.

I had a Fw 410 before and they dont even compare when it comes to ease of use and sound quality in my opinion.

tant.

oh and i use it with ableton + reason mostly with no problems at all.

Edited by tant (29/09/08 11:52 AM)

Kosmic Troubadour

Re: Upgrading firewire interface - any suggestions please? new [Re: tant]
      #662058 - 29/09/08 11:09 PM
A slight aside - I've heard that the RME FF400 doesn't work with the Intel iMac firewire chips. Does anyone know?

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1889

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media