Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Gelled_Fringe

Re: has anyone else found PLAY to be the most unstable plugin in the history of Earth? new [Re: Tui]
      #731586 - 04/05/09 12:54 PM
Quote Tui:

I really begin to think we're in Monty Python territory.

I would agree insofar as you are the most surreal poster I have witnessed on these boards

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
Re: has anyone else found PLAY to be the most unstable plugin in the history of Earth? new [Re: Tui]
      #731839 - 05/05/09 12:11 PM
Quote Tui:

All I've seen on this thread so far is people carrying on about how bad PLAY is supposed to be. Not a single one of those who have problems with it have indicated that they've carried out basic troubleshooting, in order to determine what the cause might be. Do I feel sympathy for this sort of an approach? No.

When, on top of that, some other posters, who've never even used PLAY, chime in and declare that it doesn't work, I really begin to think we're in Monty Python territory.

You mean the sketch where the bloke walks into a room, looking for an argument? I can see the similarities!

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

Wonks

Loc: Reading, UK
Re: has anyone else found PLAY to be the most unstable plugin in the history of Earth? new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #731854 - 05/05/09 12:46 PM
Quote Richard Graham:

Quote Tui:

All I've seen on this thread so far is people carrying on about how bad PLAY is supposed to be. Not a single one of those who have problems with it have indicated that they've carried out basic troubleshooting, in order to determine what the cause might be. Do I feel sympathy for this sort of an approach? No.

When, on top of that, some other posters, who've never even used PLAY, chime in and declare that it doesn't work, I really begin to think we're in Monty Python territory.

You mean the sketch where the bloke walks into a room, looking for an argument? I can see the similarities!

No you can't.

--------------------
Where there's a whip, there's a way.

R. Spisketts

Loc: Southsea
Re: has anyone else found PLAY to be the most unstable plugin in the history of Earth? new [Re: Paul Farrer]
      #732140 - 06/05/09 12:01 PM
Oh yes he can.

--------------------
Funk this, arm half due wink a trump

Richard Graham

Re: has anyone else found PLAY to be the most unstable plugin in the history of Earth? new [Re: R. Spisketts]
      #732157 - 06/05/09 12:41 PM
Quote malick:

Oh yes he can.

This isn't an argument: all you're doing is contradicting each other... automatic gainsaying.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

redleicester

Loc: England's green and pleasant l...
Re: has anyone else found PLAY to be the most unstable plugin in the history of Earth? new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #732159 - 06/05/09 12:44 PM
>DING<

I'm sorry your five minutes is up.

--------------------
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Richard Graham

Re: has anyone else found PLAY to be the most unstable plugin in the history of Earth? new [Re: redleicester]
      #732190 - 06/05/09 01:28 PM
That was never 5 minutes!

--------------------

* User requested

Re: has anyone else found PLAY to be the most unstable plugin in the history of Earth? new [Re: redleicester]
      #732238 - 06/05/09 02:45 PM
Quote redleicester:

>DING<

I'm appalled at the poor state of your grammar. Where was you educated?

Rousseau

Loc: down sarf
Re: has anyone else found PLAY to be the most unstable plugin in the history of Earth? new [Re: * User requested deletion 2 *]
      #732316 - 06/05/09 06:06 PM
Quote reid:

Quote redleicester:

>DING<

I'm appalled at the poor state of your grammar. Where was you educated?

In them thar frozen wastes of the north.

* User requested

Re: has anyone else found PLAY to be the most unstable plugin in the history of Earth? new [Re: Paul Farrer]
      #742846 - 11/06/09 09:02 AM
Everything seems to have gone quiet on the PLAY front. So does it work then?

I am about to get some EW software and am worried after reading this!

* User requested

Re: has anyone else found PLAY to be the most unstable plugin in the history of Earth? new [Re: * User requested deletion *]
      #742858 - 11/06/09 09:27 AM
I've heard that the latest software update has done a lot to straighten out the kinks in PLAY - a couple of 'real world' users who are on 2008/09 Mac Pros have said that they can now get acceptable use out of the Platinum orchestral lib, which was previously not the case on the old software.

Have to admit I'm now contemplating the unthinkable, and might jump on the latest 2-1 offer from EW...... Which ones have you gone for Sir F.F.?

* User requested

Re: has anyone else found PLAY to be the most unstable plugin in the history of Earth? new [Re: * User requested deletion 2 *]
      #742866 - 11/06/09 09:57 AM
Quote reid:

I've heard that the latest software update has done a lot to straighten out the kinks in PLAY - a couple of 'real world' users who are on 2008/09 Mac Pros have said that they can now get acceptable use out of the Platinum orchestral lib, which was previously not the case on the old software.

Have to admit I'm now contemplating the unthinkable, and might jump on the latest 2-1 offer from EW...... Which ones have you gone for Sir F.F.?

Hi Reid. Well for my sins I have had a major upgrade so I got the composers collection - 7 progs for a grand. Also EW pianos. I already had EWSO platinum, but the guys building my pc said that doesn't work very well on this 64 system which meant that I had to fork out 142 on an upgrade to the play version of that too.

So if play is a nightmare, I ain't gonna be a happy bunny.

I haven't got the gear yet but that's a whole different story. I will report back on performance when/if my stuff arrives.

How's it working for you? You got much PLAY stuff?

* User requested

Re: has anyone else found PLAY to be the most unstable plugin in the history of Earth? new [Re: * User requested deletion *]
      #743198 - 12/06/09 07:59 AM
I gave up on PLAY because it wouldn't run in any meaningful way on my Mac. I'm hoping against hope that my new MacPro combined with the new software update will be a different story...

For my sins, I've got SD2 (amazing sounds, but to my ears the MIDI performances aimed squarely at the trailers market, and the multis were just too glitchy to run) and Voices of Passion. Easier to get this one to run, but it's a bit of a niche product and no matter what the hype machine says, it's in no way Lisa-Gerrard-In-A-Box, more like Someone-Who-Heard-A-Lisa-Gerrard-CD-(Once)-In-A-Box.

I reckon you're either going to have lots of fun, or some kind of seizure once you've installed everything Sir F.F

* User requested

#743233 - 12/06/09 09:54 AM
Quote reid:

I reckon you're either going to have lots of fun, or some kind of seizure once you've installed everything Sir F.F

If only you knew the torture I had gone through already...

(And I haven't even got it yet)

* User requested

Re: has anyone else found PLAY to be the most unstable plugin in the history of Earth? [Re: Paul Farrer]
      #746487 - 23/06/09 09:19 AM
Thought I'd just give an update seeing as the PLAY engine has had such a slating on here.

Got my new setup sorted and I have to say that my PLAY products work beautifully!

Which is a bit of a surprise.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 41815

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media