Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Correzienne

Loc: Limousin. France
MIDI tracks in Cubase new
      #814478 - 24/02/10 04:36 PM
Am I right in thinking that there's no facility in Cubase for rendering a MIDI/VST track into an audio track?

The only way round I can think of is to do an audio mixdown with just the MIDI track solo'ed... Am I missing something?

--------------------
"Dad, when I grow up I want to be a musician". "Sorry son, you can't have it both ways"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
kidington

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: MIDI tracks in Cubase new [Re: Correzienne]
      #814692 - 25/02/10 02:40 PM
I was looking in here for the same kind of reason, but this is exactly what i'm doing atm, and it takes ages! but its the best way I can think of.
I've made MIDI drum tracks at home on CS4 then exporting each individual one as a .wav file so I can them to college, load them up into Protools and carry on recording guitars/vox ect, So it would be like you have already miced up a drum kit and recorded each track. I know this prob doesn't help.....Sorry, good luck tho

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #814715 - 25/02/10 04:09 PM
Midi and Audio are two seperate things. If you are trying to bounce down the output of a VST instrument, this can be done by soloing the channel and bouncing down or by choosing the relevant output in the export window.

If you have MIDI information, this cannot be converted into audio other than by it triggering an instrument, either VST or hardware and bounced (if VST) or recorded in (if it is hardware).

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #814751 - 25/02/10 05:31 PM
As Richie says, you're missing the concept of MIDI. Trying to render a MIDI track is like trying to render the actions of an orchestral conducter without an orchestra! MIDI is not audio - it is simply performance instructions.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Correzienne

Re: MIDI tracks in Cubase new [Re: The Elf]
      #814777 - 25/02/10 06:52 PM
Quote The Elf:

As Richie says, you're missing the concept of MIDI. Trying to render a MIDI track is like trying to render the actions of an orchestral conducter without an orchestra! MIDI is not audio - it is simply performance instructions.

Thanks for your responses. No I'm not missing the concept of MIDI... I've been involved with MIDI since it's inception. (Remember Pro 24?) . I'm just thinking of how to 'commit' a midi track to a VST instrument, so that (say) I can start applying some audio effects on it.

I know I can create a wav via Export, but I just wondered if there was a simpler way.

--------------------
"Dad, when I grow up I want to be a musician". "Sorry son, you can't have it both ways"

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #814810 - 25/02/10 09:16 PM
I was there at Pro-16 on the CBM64 - beat ya!

OK, apologies for missing the point of your question.

If you're using a VSTi you can just drop your effects across the VSTi's audio track. That way you don't need to export it at all.

But for every Cubase project folder I have a sub-folder called 'Renders' where I export any tracks to fix them as audio. All you do is set your rendered audio to automatically re-import to an audio track (options in the export dialogue), whereupon your rendered track will magically appear as soon as the export is finished. Works like a charm.

In Cubase 5 you can now do lots of tracks in one pass.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Correzienne

Re: MIDI tracks in Cubase new [Re: The Elf]
      #814944 - 26/02/10 11:46 AM
Quote The Elf:

I was there at Pro-16 on the CBM64 - beat ya!

OK, apologies for missing the point of your question.

If you're using a VSTi you can just drop your effects across the VSTi's audio track. That way you don't need to export it at all.

But for every Cubase project folder I have a sub-folder called 'Renders' where I export any tracks to fix them as audio. All you do is set your rendered audio to automatically re-import to an audio track (options in the export dialogue), whereupon your rendered track will magically appear as soon as the export is finished. Works like a charm.

Did I mention Pro 12 on an Atari 1040ST?

Anyway I like the idea of the automatic re-import... thanks, works a treat.

And I didn't know you can add audio FX on the VST track; I was just aware of the normal MIDI gadgets (Chorder, MIDI Echo, etc.), so thanks for this also.

--------------------

Neil C

Loc: Under a PlopEgg
Re: MIDI tracks in Cubase [Re: Correzienne]
      #814965 - 26/02/10 12:36 PM
Further still, if this is a later version of Cubase you can use an 'instrument track' which bundles the instrument and MIDI channel into one channel (the MIDI appears in the lane and the instrument channel is on the same track).

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4214

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media