Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
R. Spisketts

Loc: Southsea
iLok auth problem after trial period expired new
      #815211 - 27/02/10 01:35 PM
Right, so I had a trial period on a plug-in that uses Pace protection - the trial was enabled via a "license response file" or somthing like that.

I've subsequently purchased a full license for the plugin and downloaded it to my iLok - however I can't use the plugin - when I load an instance of it, it says "the trial period has expired" - and wants me to save out a new "license request file" - but doesn't offer me the option to authorise using my iLok

I've been in touch with the plugin vendor but they haven't responded yet - is there a quick fix for this?

I've tried removing the plugin dll, reinstalling iLok drivers, all that lark, to no avail... I have a feeling I'm stuffed until the vendor gets back to me...

--------------------
Funk this, arm half due wink a trump

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
JamesSimpson

Re: iLok auth problem after trial period expired new [Re: R. Spisketts]
      #815225 - 27/02/10 02:33 PM
Is the ilok plugged in?

Sorry to be so patronising and stupid question, but I do this 2 to 3 times a day...

I guess i just outed myself as the idiot.

--------------------
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

R. Spisketts

#815228 - 27/02/10 02:58 PM
Ha, I wish! Nope iLok plugged in, latest drivers, working fine with other ilok authorised plugs

--------------------

Howdy Doody Time

Loc: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
      #815249 - 27/02/10 03:58 PM

This iLok Pace license on a dongle thing is an Intolerable nuisance IMHO.

I have bought and paid for plugins that do not work. We really aught to sue these vendors for selling stuff that is not fit for purpose.

I know all about the anti piracy argument and I do not buy it at all. There are three parties involved - the vendor, the pirate and the buyer. Those people who buy the software are suffering from this nonsensical situation of being locked out of the software they have bought.

Those who have not suffered from this problem need not reply - good for you - but no amount of saying "mines all right, never had a problem, etc" is going to compensate those of us who have this problem.

Arturia Analog Factory is my bought and paid for piece of s!@£ that I haven't heard in all the time I've owned it.

--------------------
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

R. Spisketts

#815414 - 28/02/10 10:46 AM
Got this sorted after a couple of emails to the vendor - saved out a new license request file and emailed it off.

Oddly, the next time I instanced the plug-in - it DID offer me the opportunity to use my iLok - and since I already had the license on the dongle, it worked, without having to read the license file.

Obvious... NOT!

--------------------

* User requested

Re: iLok auth problem after trial period expired new [Re: Howdy Doody Time]
      #815423 - 28/02/10 11:31 AM
Quote It's Howdy Doody Time:

Arturia Analog Factory is my bought and paid for piece of s!@£ that I haven't heard in all the time I've owned it.

What have you done to bring it to their attention?

Howdy Doody Time

Loc: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
Re: iLok auth problem after trial period expired new [Re: * User requested deletion 2 *]
      #815565 - 28/02/10 10:53 PM

"What have you done to bring it to their attention?"

I emailed them describing the problem. The emailed back suggesting the glaringly obvious. I emailed them back stating I already tried all that, they emailed me back suggesting some more glaringly obvious stuff, I emailed them back with screenshots of error messages, they didn't get the emails, I emailed them back repeating the screenshots, they replied suggesting I get in touch with the dongle / license people, I found their web page, I couldn't find any help on the dongle peoples web page, and contacting them is a bit like trying to contact eBay. I emailed Arturia back, I got no response.

Between every aforementioned email, there elapsed 3 or 4 days, and after that experience I lost interest in ever wanting to use the software, and I haven't regained that interest.

Why should technical difficulties such as license / dongle problems give me such a hard time? The Pirates have no such problems, they just happily run the software circumnavigating the dongle sh£@ by a piece of code.

My particular problems seemed to have been caused by my using both a Mac and a PC depending which DAW software I'm using which in turn depends on what genre of music I'm preparing.

Arturia couldn't seem to get their heads around that at all, I think my Mac negated the PC license or vice versa but I don't know for sure and couldn't care less, I'm not a software engineer.

Imagine buying a new TV and finding after it doesn't work that Sony or whoever want you to check the fuse, the cable, the power supply to your house, the on/off switch, then the internal fuse, then some circuit boards, and some components, then the TFT display, the transformers, and whatever else, then suggest you contact the BBC to see if their transmission equipment is in order. - that's what trying to get Analog Factory to work was like in my case.

Bo@@ocks to it.

Rant over, feeling better now, Doody,

--------------------
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Nathan

Loc: lincolnshire government experi...
Re: iLok auth problem after trial period expired new [Re: Howdy Doody Time]
      #815589 - 01/03/10 01:03 AM
I always pay for software by credit card. The best way to get their attention is to pull the payment...

>

--------------------
planet nine
lincoln, uk.

narcoman

Re: iLok auth problem after trial period expired [Re: Howdy Doody Time]
      #815599 - 01/03/10 01:37 AM
Quote It's Howdy Doody Time:

Imagine buying a new TV and finding after it doesn't work that Sony or whoever want you to check the fuse, the cable, the power supply to your house, the on/off switch, then the internal fuse, then some circuit boards, and some components, then the TFT display, the transformers,

been there. That's EXACTLY what they did.

Sorry 'bout the Ilok stuff.... sounds a real pain...

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3594

April 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for April 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media