Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
beaker

Loc: United Kingdom
Adding Compression to my setup new
      #808186 - 31/01/10 11:28 AM
Hi...quite new to recording. My modest setup consists of a condenser mic, an 'ART Tube MP Studio' preamp, a Presonus Firebox and a macbook with logic express8. I was going to get a small compressor unit (for the vocals and acoustic guitar), because a friend said i should. The preamp has no 'insert' channel, and neither does the firebox, so am wondering if anyone knows what the best way of inserting a compressor into my recording chain would be? Thanks.

Edited by beaker (31/01/10 11:34 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
4TrackMadman

Re: Adding Compression to my setup new [Re: beaker]
      #808225 - 31/01/10 04:00 PM
Just because a friend said you should? That reasoning doesn't really make sense to me.

With most modern DAWs running at 24bit you have enough headroom to compress with plugins after the tracking stage unless you really want to compress going in or want a compressor that has some kind of desirable sonic footprint to the material.

I'd pur a compressor after the preamp so in your case it would be after the MP.

--------------------
www.descentintomadness.com

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #808245 - 31/01/10 05:17 PM
It's a complication you don't need at this stage. 24-bit recording gives you plenty of room to get a healthy signal into your DAW, then you can use a plug-in compressor.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

RobinBjerke

#808311 - 31/01/10 10:15 PM
If you want a basic introduction to compression you should check out this link:

http://lydhjornet.blogspot.com/2009/12/mixing-tools-compression.html
When it comes to your question, the only way a compressor would be beneficial to your setup would be to add it between the MP and the firebox so that you can have the possibility to compress before you print the track. This is beneficial in a couple of ways, especially because you can maintain a better signal/noise ratio. This is good if you are considering compressing later in the mix anyway, seeing as any upwards compression will raise the noise floor of the track. It also helps with recordings of less experienced musicians with unstable dynamics without you having to worry about the signal peaking in a fit of musical exitement from the performer.

Good luck!

Aural Reject

Loc: Lancashire
Re: Adding Compression to my setup new [Re: RobinBjerke]
      #808317 - 31/01/10 10:26 PM
There are, perhaps not surprisingly, rather a few articles on the Sound on Sound website - search results here, with a particular example here - and also forum threads on the same subject.

As has been already been suggested if you're recording in a 24 bit environment it's simpler to just leave enough headroom and compress in the box....you can do this even with an inexperienced performer.....just set your levels for when they get louder on the bits they know

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Adding Compression to my setup [Re: RobinBjerke]
      #815911 - 02/03/10 08:15 AM
Quote RobinBjerke:

If you want a basic introduction to compression you should check out this link:

...and/or perhaps these SOS articles

<a href="/sos/sep09/articles/compressionmadeeasy.htm" target="_blank">Compression Made Easy</a>

<a href="/sos/sep09/articles/compressioneasyaudio.htm" target="_blank">Compression Made Easy Audio Files</a>

<a href="/sos/sep09/articles/classiccompressors.htm" target="_blank">Classic Compressors</a>

d'oh! I didn't read Mr Reject's post. Oh well, I'll leave the links up as they're useful...

Edited by Mixedup (02/03/10 08:17 AM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 5245

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media