Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
BJMG

Loc: Manchester / London
Active sub - suggestions / things to consider
      #818812 - 14/03/10 04:56 PM
Hi.

Failed to find a site to review active subs - any suggestions / things to look out for?

Currently using a pair of Mackie HR624's. My control / recording / office / everything room is 3.5m x 3.5m. Hearing everything except the really low end which is about 2m behind where I sit - can't do anything more to treat the room.

Ideally spend up to £500. Half considering one of those room fix thingumies too (KRK or JBL).

Got a big project coming up with some great musicians - want to get the end product as right as I can.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
BJMG

Re: Active sub - suggestions / things to consider new [Re: BJMG]
      #819069 - 15/03/10 08:30 PM
...I meant to put 'Any suggestions / what should I consider?'

Happy Birthday Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #819131 - 16/03/10 08:34 AM
Your room is square -- the worst possible shape. There will always be a black hole of missing bass at the centre of the room. Adding a sub won't fix that problem -- it's an acoustical issue with the room itself and only serious bass trapping will fix it. If you add a sub, your neighbours will hear it (and doubtless complain) but you won't receive any worthwhile benefit.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

BJMG

Re: Active sub - suggestions / things to consider new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #819379 - 16/03/10 10:49 PM
Putting the laws of acoustics and physics aside ( ) for a moment there must be some way of me getting nearer to hearing the truth where I am sat? It's a detached house so noise isn't an issue.

I sit 1m from one side of the room and the low end I am missing is on the wall 2.5m behind me... it might sound bonkers but what if I place the sub back there?

...or would it give me the wrong information if I hook up a sub (on my side of the room), get some familiar material on and put some eq on the monitor sends?

Giles

johnny h

#819381 - 16/03/10 11:09 PM
Quote BJMG:

Putting the laws of acoustics and physics aside ( ) for a moment there must be some way of me getting nearer to hearing the truth where I am sat? It's a detached house so noise isn't an issue.

I sit 1m from one side of the room and the low end I am missing is on the wall 2.5m behind me... it might sound bonkers but what if I place the sub back there?

...or would it give me the wrong information if I hook up a sub (on my side of the room), get some familiar material on and put some eq on the monitor sends?

Giles

Looks like you'll have to move house..

_Nuno_

Loc: Cork, Ireland
      #819385 - 16/03/10 11:45 PM
If there's no chance to treat the room then you could look into ARC. I used it to position and adjust the crossover in my sub so that the frequency was the flattest possible, and then I just let ARC do the rest. The end result was pretty good. I have a few DB peak at around 60 Hz I can't get rid of though, but the rest is pretty good. My room is pretty small as well but it's more like a rectangular corridor with two open corners so it's not so bad.

Happy Birthday Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #819410 - 17/03/10 09:19 AM
Quote BJMG:

Putting the laws of acoustics and physics aside ( ) for a moment...

That's the whole point! You can't. There is a fundamental problem with your room and only a fundamental solution can deal with it.

Quote:

there must be some way of me getting nearer to hearing the truth where I am sat?

Install lots of bass trapping, or wear headphones.

Quote:

I sit 1m from one side of the room and the low end I am missing is on the wall 2.5m behind me...

That'll be those old annoying laws of physics again then...

Quote:

it might sound bonkers but what if I place the sub back there?

It won't make any difference to wear you're sitting. The fundamental problem of a square room is that the LF inherently cancels itself out in the middle of the room, no matter how much energy you pump in.

Deal with the problem or find a better room. A sub really won't help. Sorry.

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

BJMG

Re: Active sub - suggestions / things to consider new [Re: _Nuno_]
      #819413 - 17/03/10 09:31 AM
Just had a look at the ARC website and it looks as complicated (for me) as moving house!

I've got to get my next project on the money, so maybe i'll just get everything in as clean as possible, do all the editing / initial mixing at home then take it to a commercial studio that's got the bank roll and brain power that I am missing.

Might get a sub and have a play around - have discovered lots of ways of not doing things how you should that can actually work.

At least i'll then have one for when I do move house (divorce on the cards so better spend what money I have quick!)

BJMG

#819416 - 17/03/10 09:42 AM
Sorry Hugh - was mid waffle when you posted.

I use headphones and a number of other listening sources, so it looks like I can do no more.

...which is a shame as it's a great work space that works really well on every other level.

BJMG

Re: Active sub - suggestions / things to consider new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #819440 - 17/03/10 10:59 AM
Already got some Sony MDR-7509's which are great, but should I look to spend the sub money on some HD650's - would this give me a more truthful picture?

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4308

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media