Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Sonicmint

Recommend a Mixing desk/capture/control surface new
      #870133 - 23/10/10 06:02 PM
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a budget line hybrid (is that the right word?) mixing desk with the following capabilities - if such a thing exists... I get a bit confused with what does what!

Minimum 12 channel desk (ideally with slider faders and 3 band EQ knobs)

Can be used as a stand-alone analogue desk and a control surface for DAW (Adobe Audition on Windows 7)

USB connectivity for built-in capture to DAW

Your response would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

- Scott

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
narcoman

Re: Recommend a Mixing desk/capture/control surface new [Re: Sonicmint]
      #870141 - 23/10/10 06:41 PM
Cant recommend any budget options - there arent any really. If you have a bit of money the Audient Zen system looks excellent.

. . . Delete This
Here be Dragons

Re: Recommend a Mixing desk/capture/control surface new [Re: narcoman]
      #870182 - 23/10/10 10:42 PM
allen and heath Zed series...

however, the "proper" version the Zed 16R and 24R are firewire not USB.

but jolly nice things they are...

i'd like to wangle myself a 24R.... for old times sake... it's kind of like a baby second cousin version of the old GS3000, that married in to a MOTU based family.... or something....

anyway.... in comparison to the Audient... it definitely qualifies as budget priced.... but the quality is really VERY good....

Sonicmint

#870187 - 23/10/10 11:19 PM
I like the look of the Allen & Heath Zed-14. Am I right in thinking that this can be used as a control surface too, through USB to control mixing in Adobe Audition?

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #870378 - 25/10/10 10:28 AM
I think they're Firewire, but the Presonus StudioLive would seem to be a good call. (Firewire may be on its way out in the wider world, but multitrack audio still uses it almost exclusively, for historical reasons. At £20-30 for an easily-installed Firewire card, there's no point limiting yourself to USB.)

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Recommend a Mixing desk/capture/control surface new [Re: grab]
      #870389 - 25/10/10 11:06 AM
If it works with your OS, then the Yamaha 01x may do the job for you. They're cheap as chops second hand right now, as the MLAN protocol seems to be on the way out. But if it works, it sounds like what you're looking for.

The ZED series A&H stuff doesn't have motorised faders. But what it does, it does very well.

A second hand Mackie d8B might do what you want. But they're notorious for breaking down...

Presonus Studio Live...

Audient ASP2802 looks perfect... but isn't actually budget.

But if you really need something like this on a budget, I'd be tempted just to get a small format desk (Mackie VLZ Pro or VLZ3 series) and sit a Behringer BCF2000 alongside it.

Frank EleveldModerator

Loc: NL
Re: Recommend a Mixing desk/capture/control surface [Re: Sonicmint]
      #870742 - 26/10/10 02:15 PM
Do you really need a mixing desk? I've ditched mine a few years ago, got myself an interface and a small control surface and never looked back. If you really need a proper mixing desk, the A&H Zed range is very nice indeed, I think. Definitely one of the best 'budget' mixer range currently being made.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4533

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media