Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Džoni

Loc: South Africa
Buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s in London? new
      #871514 - 29/10/10 01:31 PM
Hi all,

I hope this doesn't break any forum rules, but I doubt it does.

A friend of mine is going over to UK (London, to be precise) on Saturday, and he's willing to pick up a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s for me. However, I want to inconvenience him as little as possible, so my question is the following:

Which retailer (and I mean physical, real, non-internet, offline store, just for a bit of redundancy) that sells HD 650s is the most common in London, i.e. the most likely for him to find without having to go specifically out of his way? How much would he (or I, down the line) expect to pay for them at said retailer? (If I can find the latter info online, I'll have a look).

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks,
Dzoni

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
RegressiveRock
Just half a pint of cherryade for me

Loc: Buntingford, Herts
Re: Buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s in London? new [Re: Džoni]
      #871516 - 29/10/10 01:43 PM
To what parts of London will your friend be going?

Džoni

Re: Buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s in London? new [Re: RegressiveRock]
      #871521 - 29/10/10 01:58 PM
Mostly central London, as far as I understand it. I think he mentioned "Tower Hill". (Never having been to London myself, I can only rely on Wikipedia to make sure those two claims match up.)

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #871530 - 29/10/10 02:26 PM
I would say, probably, Digital Village.

Their main office is in Romford (East London), but Barnet (North London), Clapham (South London) and Acton (West London) are easy to get to.

The Acton store is very close to Acton Town Underground and the Clapham one is very close to Clapham Common Underground.

I would ring first to make sure it's in stock - or give them time to get one over to the store you are going to.

The contact details and maps are in the "Digital Village" panel on the right of the link I posted.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

ezza

#871552 - 29/10/10 03:42 PM
Traveling from Tower Hill to Acton Town and back is one hour each way. You can use tfl.gov.uk to check journey times.

There aren't any good audio or music tech shops in the Tower Hill area itself.

I would search online for a shop stocking them in the 'West End'. That's much closer to Tower Hill. Search for shops in and around Tottenham COurt Road, Oxford Street & Charing Cross Road.

Don't forget to tell your friend to haggle!

/e

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Re: Buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s in London? [Re: ezza]
      #871561 - 29/10/10 04:22 PM
Quote ezza:

Traveling from Tower Hill to Acton Town and back is one hour each way.

But it's only 37 minutes from Tower Hill to Clapham Common - much faster.

And if Bank station is closer, Clapham Common is only 17 minutes from there.

And DV do tend to have the best prices.

Oh - and don't forget to ask for the certificate to reclaim the VAT. You pay it at the shop, but can claim it back at the airport on the way out.

--------------------

creativegeek

#871564 - 29/10/10 04:39 PM
Don't. I just bought a pair from Thomann for €245, much cheaper than anywhere I found in London. Btw, they are fantastic!

Džoni

#871602 - 29/10/10 10:43 PM
Thanks for all the responses, guys!

Now, to throw a bit of a spanner in the works, I spoke to said friend in more detail, and as he is in Europe for a business trip, most of which is at meetings during working hours and in different places, it's going to be a bit of a mad rush. Is there a shop that might be open on Sundays? DV is closed then.

I won't say price isn't an issue, but given that the HD 650s cost between £500 and £630 over here, just about any price the UK has to offer is better! What I'm getting is that a shop that is more expensive than DV, but open on a Sunday, would work for me too.

Alternatively -- and this is far more of a push than asking for shops in London -- does anyone know of similar shops in Amsterdam?

Nelly

Loc: London
      #871614 - 30/10/10 12:31 AM
I think you'll struggle to find a music tech shop in London open on Sunday. I'm pretty sure none of the shops around Denmark Street are open on Sunday.

One of the shops on Tottenham Court Road might do them, but I've just looked at Ask and Microanvika and neither of those seem to stock them. Also can't see any other hifi shops that carry them, Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks.

I think DV is your best bet if they have stock. But not on Sunday...

ezza

#871640 - 30/10/10 07:25 AM
Is that Amsterdam on a Sunday?

However, I have to agree with some posters above that Thomann, ebay or other mail order is the best way.

/e

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

#871673 - 30/10/10 12:45 PM
Quote Džoni:

Thanks for all the responses, guys!

Now, to throw a bit of a spanner in the works, I spoke to said friend in more detail, and as he is in Europe for a business trip, most of which is at meetings during working hours and in different places, it's going to be a bit of a mad rush. Is there a shop that might be open on Sundays? DV is closed then.

I can't think of anything really that's open on a Sunday except places like Dixons, Currys and PC World in out-of-town shopping malls - and they are very unlikely to stock the HD 650.

Some alternatives - order on-line from DV and get them delivered in advance to a hotel or a company where there will be a business meeting.

Sometimes, if he knows the people well enough, get them delivered to a personal contact at the company where the meeting is. Though this may be difficult if he does not know people personally there.

Or, ring up DV and get them to deliver in a taxi.

Etc...

--------------------

Džoni

#871707 - 30/10/10 05:15 PM
Quote ezza:

Is that Amsterdam on a Sunday?

Nope, I think it's Tuesday/Wednesday. Definitely weekday, either way.

John, that's a brilliant suggestion, but I fear it's a little too last-minute. I wish I'd known about all of this a bit sooner so I could have put that in place.

I think I may just have to do the online order thing -- Thomann's price is very, very good, I must say. Alternatively, I know the manager of a music store here quite well (I've been a customer for almost 9 years now); I spoke to him today, and he'll speak to his supplier on Monday, but I may just be able to get it for £310-360, which I'm happy to pay. The exchange rate's working in my favour at the moment.

Either way, thanks very much for your input, everyone. I really appreciate it -- I do love these fora/forums!

ezza

#871714 - 30/10/10 06:00 PM
Hobo HiFi in Amsterdam does them, but at 429 euros your friend might be a better bet.

hobo hifi

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4117

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media