Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
SoundNinja

Loc: London
Universities
      #871721 - 30/10/10 06:47 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm looking at going to a University to study Audio and Technology further. Without meaning to sound unprofessional, does anyone have any experience of going to Uni as I'm trying to decide between Leeds Met. and the University of West England (UWE (Bristol)) atm, and if anyone has any knowledge or experience of these places i'd love to hear

Thank you

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
Re: Universities new [Re: SoundNinja]
      #871734 - 30/10/10 08:34 PM
Have a careful read through this thread:

Thread re: value of university courses

... and then come back if you still have any questions.

PS. Welcome!

narcoman

#871742 - 30/10/10 09:26 PM
Read that thread VERY carefully.

ej_whyte

#872364 - 02/11/10 07:52 PM
Although I respect the opinions of the two posts above, I do feel that my uni course has been worthwhile, and it has provided me with two great opportunities which wouldn't of been available if I hadn't done it:

1. Free, unlimited access to pro level equipment, (almost) whenever and for as a long as I want. There is no way I would have been able to afford all the gear we have and (I'm guessing here) I get to do a lot more than I would if I just had a tea-boy job in a commercial studio.

2. My uni has very good links for its placement years, giving me a better chance of getting my foot in the door (I hope). Students have been to EMI, Pinewood and Audient to name a few, and most of them have secured jobs there afterwards.

Whilst the actual 'degree' may not be worth it, I think the experience and opportunities that come with it are.

narcoman

#872391 - 02/11/10 11:10 PM
which course is this? EMI don't take graduates on in studios - they only own one now.

ej_whyte

Re: Universities new [Re: narcoman]
      #872473 - 03/11/10 02:03 PM
Quote narcoman:

which course is this? EMI don't take graduates on in studios - they only own one now.

Birmingham Conservatoire/Millenium Point.

I didn't mean studio work though, more as part of the actual label work I think that one is.

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Universities new [Re: ej_whyte]
      #872627 - 04/11/10 08:25 AM
Hmmm... unfortunately you've been royally shafted by David Cameron and George Osborne

You'll get plenty out of a course, but £6-9k per annum could most definitely be spent better. If you do go for it, make sure you get sufficient access to the facilities and use them all hours you can.

In fact, come to think of it... pay me £6k a year and I'll give you one to one tuition, real work experience and access to all the facilities you could ask for! OK, it sounds crazy, and I'm joking, but you'd learn more...

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
5 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4939

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media