Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Radioactive Kid

Studiomaster Series 5 16-4-2 help!
      #873374 - 07/11/10 09:48 PM
Hi all,
I posted this on another forum but haven't heard anything, so i thought i'd double my chances and post here.
I own one of these but, unfortunately mine powers up ok, but, i cannot seem to get a signal from it via headphones or monitor output? (apart from when i press the 1khz slate button)
When i opened her up i noticed 2 earth wires that arent connected, although i dont know if these are: 1.not meant to be connected in the first place, or 2.have pulled loose upon lifting the top from the chassis?
Also i popped out the square fuse block next to the mains input "but" now i foolishly don't know the correct way round to replace it for correct voltage?
Any help would be greatly appreciated & i can supply any neccassary photos to help in troubleshooting.
Regards.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
damoore

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Studiomaster Series 5 16-4-2 help! new [Re: Radioactive Kid]
      #873386 - 07/11/10 10:58 PM
Fuses usually don't have polarity. If one did I would expect the fuse and plug themselves to be polarised so they would only fit one way.

HOWEVER, I found the manual in a scanned in (low contrast) versions and it looks like with this unit you orient the fuse holder to select your line voltage. (See www.scribd.com/doc/9663858/Studiomaster-1642-Part1)

How do you know the two loose wires are earths?

Can you not get any sound from the aux returns either? If you can get tone its clearly not totally dead. Have you checked that non of the "solo" buttons are depressed. Have you tried all the channels?

Radioactive Kid

Re: Studiomaster Series 5 16-4-2 help! new [Re: damoore]
      #873497 - 08/11/10 04:12 PM
It's taken me a while to get a reply about this desk, so i would be grateful if you would bear with me on it
As i said, before opening it up it powered up fine & i could hear the 1Khz slate. since opening i am scared to switch it on just in case the wires in question have been loosened by me! The wires look like an earth strap & are bolted to the top of what looks like a power supply? the other end of these wires have spade connectors. I'll upload some photos on here later(if thats possible?) to try & give a better illustration before any further checks.
Regards.

Radioactive Kid

#873610 - 08/11/10 11:16 PM
The desk in question

Top right hand corner

Inside chassis underneath top right hand corner, the 2 wires in question (yellow with green stripe) are the ones screwed down next to the round yellow sticker.

These are the other end of the same wires.

Another picture of the same loom from the underside of the top right hand side of the mixer.

Lizardpoint

Loc: Biggin Hill, Kent
      #873636 - 09/11/10 08:42 AM
If they are connected to the base chassis, then it is not unreasonable to assume they are grounding cables and the other ends should connect to spade terminals on the top section of the case. Have a look for some spade connectors on the "Lid" of the unit.
I expect there will be an earth spade connector on one of the PCB's too.
I'd guess that one is for the chassis to top cover earth and the other with be the PCB earth.
You probably disturbed them when you top the top off.
If you still cannot find where they go then put the top back on and prop up the rear of the top then see where the wires seem to sit.
As they have been in position for a long time, then will tend to give you an indication of where the spade connections will be.

Next question - Has the desk ever worked correctly since you owned it ?

Cheers

Lizardpoint

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #873662 - 09/11/10 10:18 AM
We could do with some more in focus pictures as it looks like there may be a connector with a couple of empty ways on that power supply.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Radioactive Kid

#873713 - 09/11/10 02:53 PM
Thanks for your input Lizardpoint & James
Since owning the desk i have only powered it up & been able to get the 1Khz tone working through it, but this could just be me!This is why i took off the top to have a look inside (talk about creating more probs for myself!)I Shall try to upload some clearer pics later in the hope that this will help.
If anyone on here or elsewhere has one of these, maybe they could CAREFULLY! lift the lid on theirs and i could match mine up??
keep em' coming SOS'ers

zenguitarAdministrator

Loc: Devon
      #873793 - 09/11/10 09:44 PM
See if you can get your hands on a good schematic.

It will help you pin down those two cables and make the rest of your troubleshooting a lot easier.

Even if you can find someone with the same desk, there's no guarantee that the internals are the same. Designs do get revised, and owners do make modifications.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Studiomaster Series 5 16-4-2 help! new [Re: zenguitar]
      #873901 - 10/11/10 12:51 PM
Fortunately that looks like a fairly standard Studiomaster power supply as used on a number of their desks. Unfortunately, the Studiomaster schematics that I have don't include that power supply and my Studiomaster desk is buried too deeply at the moment to open up and look.

Cheers

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

damoore

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Studiomaster Series 5 16-4-2 help! new [Re: James Perrett]
      #874069 - 11/11/10 12:50 AM
Not only the focus but also the lack of context make it difficult - its nice to be able to see both ends of a loom. Certainly though they appear to be earth wires.

The shorter of the two probably belongs on a lug close to the lugs for the other wires of the same length. Looks like the other one is longer so the idea that it goes to the top seems a good one.

However, these look like they are safety earths, so the fact that they have come loose probably has nothing to do with the ability to get sound out of it.

In you overall picture it looks like some channels have the mic input selected and others the line and looks like one of the left most channels has its solo button depressed. Once you get it back together I would start by getting all the buttons into the up position, all the pots centred and then go from there.

Edited by damoore (11/11/10 01:00 AM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 8567

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media