Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
calmposer a

The Low End Thing new
      #873348 - 07/11/10 07:38 PM
I love my NS10s. I love my Beyer Dynamic DT100s. Doing a recent test with the DTs I surprisingly found that I could clearly hear a 20hz rumble!!

I monitor my tracks in other very decent studios as well.

Would working with the NS10s in general and cross checking low end with the Beyers (and not just low end) be satisfactory for finalizing bass heavy tracks (e.g. dub and hiphop) and sending them to mix? Is a subwoofer really required? Thoughts anyone?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Nathan

Loc: lincolnshire government experi...
Re: The Low End Thing new [Re: calmposer a]
      #873351 - 07/11/10 07:58 PM
DT100 are not what I would call full-range monitor headphones, more like vocal range. There is a better frequency range with their sibling DT150 headphones.

I always cross-reference mixes from my studio monitors with my headphones, good practice.

>

--------------------
planet nine
lincoln, uk.

Octopussy

Loc: Melbourneo
      #873359 - 07/11/10 08:39 PM
Maybe you can hear some kind of harmonic based on 20 Hz but can those headphones really put out 20Hz? Can any headphones put out 20 Hz?

Seriously though, I too mix between my in ear monitors and my mains. But with NS10's or any inaccurate monitor that isn't full range you will not be able to tell if you need to compress the bass guitar by another .5 dB even if you've managed to get the kick and bass instrument balanced.

If you can get a track or 2 mastered at a pro mastering facility with a flat room response and seriously high end monitors and attend the mastering session then you can find out what's happening with your mixes happening on your speakers. I learned that my mixes where a little bit down around 1.8-3kHz (very important vocal frequency range) that I should need to pay closer attention around 200Hz to get consistent resolution of the mix elements. So now my mixes sound pro! lol The mastering session let me hear improvements identified by working with a musical and talented mastering engineer working in a better environment than my mixing room. My mixes before the mastering session where sounding ok to good on other peoples stereos etc but that only identified that the mixes where working overall. The mastering session gave me the info about the tendencies brought out in me by my mix environment and let me hear improvements.

RegressiveRock
Just half a pint of cherryade for me

Loc: Buntingford, Herts
      #873363 - 07/11/10 08:58 PM
Headphone referencing is about a number of things, including: differentiating hard-to-hear minor defects in your mix; looking for anything in your mix that grates in cans like overlong pan throws and; if you have really good cans, resolving difficult-to-monitor mix conflicts.

Honestly mate: DT100s are not designed for this job. They're a robust, modular and hence easy-to-maintain, tracking-room can.

Reg

calmposer a

Re: The Low End Thing new [Re: RegressiveRock]
      #873387 - 07/11/10 11:02 PM
Okay I'm a bit behind with the headphones.... there was a good article Jan this year overall praising the Sennheisers. Can anyone recommend great headphones for mixing?

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #873418 - 08/11/10 06:46 AM
Headphones compared.

My choice - AKG K701.

I do all of my work, including mixing, in headphones. I would dread to think of having to do it in the DT90s and DT100s I use for tracking. They are pretty dismal-sounding devices.

But to get bass truly nailed down you're going to have to use some trustworthy speakers at some point. NS10s would not be my choice on any level TBH, but many people seem to manage fine with them.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: The Low End Thing new [Re: The Elf]
      #873502 - 08/11/10 04:30 PM
And my choice is Sennheiser HD650

I do lots of sound design work under these as well as music demo creation and album writing, and they have never let me down.

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Crying Chic

Re: The Low End Thing new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #873649 - 09/11/10 09:40 AM
I use Sennheiser HD650's too I also check the bottom end with:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/

If you are concerned about compromised low end due to monitoring and perhaps room acoustic issues have a peek as well as a listen

The Elf

#873670 - 09/11/10 10:58 AM
If you feel like trying something a little more 'off the wall'...

I feel the speaker cone with my finger to check what's happening at the bass end. It's a technique I've been using since I was a kid and it's served me well.

--------------------

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: The Low End Thing [Re: The Elf]
      #873823 - 10/11/10 01:15 AM
Yep, a very useful technique - over the years I’ve spotted quite a few mammoth cone excursions that were scarcely audible but required a steepish lowcut filter at 20Hz to avoid loudspeaker damage

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: The Low End Thing new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #873834 - 10/11/10 07:57 AM
Quote Martin Walker:

a steepish lowcut filter at 20Hz to avoid loudspeaker damage

It may be good practice to filter such frequencies earlier in the chain, but saving an insert slot at the top of the master buss for a high-pass filter never hurt anyone!

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#873846 - 10/11/10 09:34 AM
First off: the NS10s are not going to reference the low end well. That's not what they're for.
Second: headphones are great but will not reference the low end or pan positions well.

You need a well treated room with monitors that are suitable. TBH, if the room is properly treated then most monitors will translate the low end pretty suitably.

A combination of the two is the way to go. I use both.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: The Low End Thing new [Re: Mixedup]
      #873847 - 10/11/10 09:37 AM
Quote Mixedup:

Quote Martin Walker begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting:

a steepish lowcut filter at 20Hz to avoid loudspeaker damage

It may be good practice to filter such frequencies earlier in the chain, but saving an insert slot at the top of the master buss for a high-pass filter never hurt anyone!

I use the Nugen Visualizer to assess what's going on and this helps a great deal in determining frequency spread and particularly redundant frequencies that will not be heard but felt and can mush up the mix. Additionally, it helps to understand what to filter because filtering the low end can also thin the mix. I know we're talking about 20 Hz here but I can hear that frequency and have, on occasion, opted to leave it there and filter well below that, usually more to do with the final compression stage at the mix bus.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

StuartBallingall

#874129 - 11/11/10 11:15 AM
Quote The Elf:

I feel the speaker cone with my finger to check what's happening at the bass end. It's a technique I've been using since I was a kid and it's served me well.

I just tried your technique Elf on some mixes on an album im currently doing and i have to say its a revelation to me!

I could really feel the overlap in the bass guitar and kick drum frequencies and with a bit of HPFing of the bass i've tightened up the low end no end!

Also we're using samples for the drums and its made it so much easier to judge the decay of the kick samples!

--------------------
Ready Eddie?
Bingo Gringo!

Exalted Wombat

Re: The Low End Thing new [Re: StuartBallingall]
      #874132 - 11/11/10 11:22 AM
Quote StuartBallingall:

I could really feel the overlap in the bass guitar and kick drum frequencies and with a bit of HPFing of the bass i've tightened up the low end no end!

It's not fair, is it! Bass players spend all that money and trouble lugging giant Trace Eliot stacks around for an extended bass end, then we glibly apply "a bit of HPFing" (sounds so much more politically acceptable than "cut the bass end") :-)

StuartBallingall

Re: The Low End Thing new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #874139 - 11/11/10 11:39 AM
We could save all the arguments and change the instruments name to.....

The Low Mid Guitar!!!

--------------------
Ready Eddie?
Bingo Gringo!

onesecondglance

Loc: Reading, UK
      #874180 - 11/11/10 01:16 PM
that's a baritone guitar, isn't it...?

--------------------
hourglass | random thoughts | doubledotdash!? collective

The Elf

#874191 - 11/11/10 02:00 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote StuartBallingall:

It's not fair, is it! Bass players spend all that money and trouble lugging giant Trace Eliot stacks around for an extended bass end, then we glibly apply "a bit of HPFing" (sounds so much more politically acceptable than "cut the bass end") :-)

I've never found much of any worth below 60/70Hz in a bass guitar. A 4-string bass bottoms off around 80Hz.

--------------------

narcoman

#874194 - 11/11/10 02:05 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote StuartBallingall:

that's because bass players {excluding me - as i'm enlightened} think that bass guitar means bass frequencies. The silly tykes....

The Elf

#874196 - 11/11/10 02:08 PM
Quote StuartBallingall:

Quote The Elf:

I just tried your technique Elf on some mixes on an album im currently doing and i have to say its a revelation to me!

Also we're using samples for the drums and its made it so much easier to judge the decay of the kick samples!

Glad it works for you!

Most people just think I'm mad, but it really does help, as you've obviously discovered. If you 'get it' then I think you'll find it a useful tool from here on. I often do my cone-fondling with my headphones on too.

Beyond simply sussing out errant extreme lows, it can tell you a lot about the relationship between kick and bass and whether you have any other instruments spoiling the party down there. I can also feel timing dicrepancies between kick and bass and also make decisions as to whether a little kick/bass side-chaining might be required.

'My hand moves out and... I have the touch!'

--------------------

RegressiveRock
Just half a pint of cherryade for me

Loc: Buntingford, Herts
      #874210 - 11/11/10 03:17 PM
Quote The Elf:

Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote StuartBallingall:

I've never found much of any worth below 60/70Hz in a bass guitar. A 4-string bass bottoms off around 80Hz.

That's why we invented the 5 string, silly! It wouldn't so to have the studio engineer thinking the bass tracking / mixing is going to be easy now would it!

Having said which, I can see my low B cycling when I pluck it and pretty much never use that actual note.

Reg

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 5837

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media