Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
siderealxxx

Loc: Bristol
Running an entire mix through my Gold Mike? new
      #879872 - 07/12/10 10:41 AM
Hi... I have finished mixes which have also been mastered nicely (albeit in the box) and I was wandering about adding some analogue sparkle/warmth/cliches.

The only decent unit I have for this is an SPL Gold Mike MKI, so I've tried outputting directly from my FF800 into the SPL and re-recording it. The result is in fact very nice and audibly different in a good way (mostly brighter).

Question is... can anyone think of a good reason why I shouldn't do this?! Are there any pitfalls I should watch for? Obviously it's not what the unit was designed for, but if it sounds good then who's to complain?

Curious...

--------------------
Excess makes the heart grow fonder

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ElecTrika-MixTek

Re: Running an entire mix through my Gold Mike? new [Re: siderealxxx]
      #879874 - 07/12/10 10:45 AM
One thing:

If it's been mastered on an appropriate system then is your mastering process on the same system or a different one.

Is your system then, an appropriate system for mastering with sufficient detail especially in the bass and sub bass range, but also sufficient clarity in the mid range.

Does your gold miked master sound good across a range of systems? Car, hifi, club, bar etc.

Jonnypopisical

Loc: Oakham
Re: Running an entire mix through my Gold Mike? [Re: ElecTrika-MixTek]
      #879887 - 07/12/10 11:11 AM
As the other poster said.

Has is been mastered by a professional ME or is it DIY?.

If done by a pro then I'd be careful of thinking that 'Brigher is better' as it should have been EQ'd to work across multiply systems and not be too bright to start to sound thin.

If it's a DIY job then do whatever you think sounds best - but again bright mixes can initially sound good but don't stand the test of time very well (you will be so bored of the track that the xtra top cons you into been excited by the track again). In saying that alot of home recordings lack mid range bit that pro mixes try and boost to get things to sound powerful / loud (I'm talking mainstream music here)

JP

--------------------
Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

narcoman

Re: Running an entire mix through my Gold Mike? new [Re: siderealxxx]
      #880153 - 08/12/10 09:59 AM
Talk to your ME, find a different ME or - if the issue is the mixes - tweak. But dont mess with the masters.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4396

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media