Main Forums >> Keyboards & Synthesis
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Aqueousarts

Loc: Stroud, UK
XY pad on Novation keyboards new
      #878821 - 02/12/10 03:39 PM
Hello to all,
I am really keen on getting one of the little Novation controller keyboards with an XY pad. I used to own (two in fact) a Korg Z1 and the pad controller was an amazing device for animating a sound as you played. If you kept the pad with the centre always active, you could tap at different points and create instant jumps (sort of 'blips') in the sound.

And my question is this... does the Novation pad behave in the same way as the Korg Z1 pad? I understand it creates an instant jump in the sound, but does it then 'hold' that point on the pad even when you take off your finger? Am I making sense? I would really appreciate any answers that help me get an idea on how the Novation pad behaves, or should I look at another route - iPad anyone?

--------------------
Logic studio, Pianoteq, FM8, ARP2600v, Novation 61SL MkII, Tascam DR05 and... never enough time!
www.aqueousarts.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Bob Moose

Re: XY pad on Novation keyboards new [Re: Aqueousarts]
      #878926 - 02/12/10 11:50 PM
Quote Aqueousarts:

does it then 'hold' that point on the pad even when you take off your finger?

On the Novation Remote 25 (first version), I'm almost sure it does hold the latest values when you take off your finger, but as I am outside I cannot check it. If nobody confirms, I will test it for you next week.

Best,
-j

Aqueousarts

Re: XY pad on Novation keyboards new [Re: Bob Moose]
      #879232 - 04/12/10 10:54 AM
Hi Bob,
Thanks for getting back on this. Re the 'hold' bit - I had feared that was the case. I tried (I admit it was a while ago) an X Station, but there was so much noise (Turnkey) in the background, I could really hear what it was doing, but to my ears it was at least 'holding' that position. I know it's a small point, but if you've ever tried a Z1, you'll know what I mean - a fantastic controller. Maybe, I'll just have to find one of those. Trouble is, I never really liked the sound that much - everything I programmed sounded the same... ish.

It's so difficult trying these things now, 25 years ago music shops had so much more in stock... and I don't have so much time!

Thanks for your help on this.

--------------------
Logic studio, Pianoteq, FM8, ARP2600v, Novation 61SL MkII, Tascam DR05 and... never enough time!
www.aqueousarts.com

Binks

#879528 - 06/12/10 03:11 AM
Being an owner of the Z1 (love it) and both a remote and an X-station.. I don't think I've ever managed to re-create what it is you mean on the novations.
The XY pad on the Z1 is something else.. its a superb addition to the synth and really does create some magic... Why they never added one to the later tritons or anything I don't know!

--------------------
MV8000, Arturia Origin, Korg Z1, Waldorf Blofeld, Access Virus TI Polar,Nord Micromodular, Korg Prophecy.
Logic 8 - Vangaurd, V-Station

Aqueousarts

Re: XY pad on Novation keyboards new [Re: Binks]
      #879728 - 06/12/10 06:39 PM
Hi Blinks,
Yes, you could really make sounds come alive with that invention on the Z1! I wonder why I'm going round the houses on this issue - should I just buy a S/H Z1? I found the Nanopad controller (Korg) which looks pretty cool and it's only about £30.

The trouble is I use Sculpture and mainly FM8 and I really love the sounds these two beasts put out. So I just don't want any more noise makers. I use a weighted controller because I have Pianoteq (which is just superb!). I have quizzed Novation on them making an 88 note keyboard with an XY pad, but I don't think they're with me on that one.

Thanks for your input on this though.

As a side issue... The X Station makes a very nice noise I thought!

--------------------
www.aqueousarts.com

Binks

#880270 - 08/12/10 04:00 PM
The X-Station's noise isn't bad, better than some, but I have a heap of stuff that sounds better. I'm actually going to sell it and put the cash towards my new toy.
The Z1, was my 1st synth, and won't ever be getting sold.. its awesome. However, on a side note, I did once watch a video of orbital having a kaoss pad midi'd up to their triton (well, they had two of each actually).. So I guess as long as youre prepared to program into the controller what you want it to be able to do else where, then it should work for you.. But guessing by the original wish, that may take some programming(in z1 standards), the Z1's was built predominantly for use on the Z1 wasn't it.. and is why it sounds the dogs swingy parts when playing with it.
I think you'll be able to get the novation to do something, but maybe not exactly like the Z1. (why they never put it on more synths????)

--------------------
MV8000, Arturia Origin, Korg Z1, Waldorf Blofeld, Access Virus TI Polar,Nord Micromodular, Korg Prophecy.

Aqueousarts

#880317 - 08/12/10 08:21 PM
Hi Blinks,
I've done a lot of thinking about Kaoss pads and programming them to trigger things in the software I use. I think I liked the idea of doing two things with one purchase - pad and portable keyboard. I mentioned I found the Korg Nanopad, which I think is the closest I've come to my old Z1 (without the synth and keyboard obviously) and I'm sorely tempted as it's only £30! Don't want the drum pads, but it turns out you can have them trigger CC's instead!

Thanks for your input on this. I've had a clear answer whereas all the questions before (including to Novation themselves) haven't really solved the issue. I'm going the re-think the whole plan... and I've even considered (again) buying a Z1. I loved the way you could control the effects from the pad as well as doing whole bunch of other stuff. I can understand why you want to keep it!

Cheers for your help.

--------------------
www.aqueousarts.com

Aqueousarts

#880319 - 08/12/10 08:49 PM
Blinks,
Just a quick note on my time with a Z1. I mentioned in one of my other posts, that I had one who's power supply failed. Turned it on one day and nothing. The solution was to take it Korg and replace the power supply with a Trinity one (stronger apparently). I was told it happened quite a bit with Z1s. Everything was fine after that.

I mention it as you said you were keen to hold on to your Z1. If it happens to you, you know what to check first.

Happy playing!

--------------------
www.aqueousarts.com

Binks

Re: XY pad on Novation keyboards [Re: Aqueousarts]
      #880348 - 08/12/10 11:49 PM
Thanks for that.. Had seen it yes, will keep it in mind.. Have had in ten years now and its behaved itself quite well.. (Mind you, might keep my eyes open for a spares or repair on you know where.)

As for the FX via XY pad.. oh yes.. the joy of it.. Along with the pad already midi'd up to onething or another, you could very easily get lost in sound warps for the afternoon... Personally, I think all the larger companies are too busy in bringing in the ching ching, rather than putting a little more development time with their kit.. Too often is something dropped after only 2 or 3 years for the next one thats only marginally different. My point being, korg sold one extra pcmcia memory card for this (I bought it) but the sounds on it where way way better than the original factory set.. Think its a LOT more about the money than the customer... That rhythym patch on bank 2 of the card.. all done in good old maths.. Brilliant

We've got carried away with a bit of a Z1 thread here haven't we... Long live the Z1
Hope you sort what you're trying to achieve

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4398

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media