Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
_ Six _

Pro Tools HD new
      #898947 - 04/03/11 09:38 PM
So it's been a month or two.. worth the £600 quid or so to migrate from Logic 8?

I could do with a workflow change

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Scope

Re: Pro Tools HD new [Re: _ Six _]
      #899053 - 05/03/11 03:05 PM
Depends on what you see as important.

First off, I think PT sounds better than Logic ( using the same audio files and interface & monitors.)
To my ears, the top end is crisper and has much more spacial definition and the bottom end is tighter, less flabby or muddy.

I love the plugins for their sheer quality, ( with 1 exception ).
Even the free one "Xpand!" is a great sounding all-rounder.
Structure ( also available in a free version) gives you access to your EXS24 library.

PT is cross platform and with the ilok, very portable.
PT is STILL a global standard, so if like me you tour occasionally, there are never any compatibility issues.

On the downside, its usually expensive.
The work flow with Midi is still kak compared to Logic / Cubase etc, which inhibits creativity.
Vacuum ( analog synth instrument) is horrid !
- A vile farty squeaky pile of virtual vomit, ( that's the one exception ).

The biggest downer is that HD is locked to a particular hardware configuration.
So when the time comes for PCI Express to move aside for the next interface, be ready for a bill.

I use both Logic and PT on a regular basis.
Both have their pros and cons.
My personal opinion is that they complement each other and truth be told, I would not be without either.

Billum

Loc: London
Re: Pro Tools HD [Re: _ Six _]
      #899057 - 05/03/11 03:24 PM
Remember that Pro Tools 9 is now no longer tied to hardware, unless you are going the full HD or HD Native routes, so it'll work either with your Mac built-in audio, or your existing audio interfaces you've been using with Logic.

If you went Native or HD, it would be a lot more than £600, unfortunately, but PT 9 with the Complete Production Toolkit v2 is very nearly the same functionality as HD but using your existing interfaces (so you don't get the PT HD zero latency monitoring or TDM plug-in support).

narcoman

Re: Pro Tools HD new [Re: Scope]
      #899216 - 06/03/11 07:10 PM
Quote Scope:

Depends on what you see as important.

Absolutely right - but in 2011 I reckon there are now very few reasons to ever change DAW. Only if you need PTs timecode functions and things like slick VCAs should yu change - and that's certainly not going to be a composer.

Quote Scope:

First off, I think PT sounds better than Logic ( using the same audio files and interface & monitors.)
To my ears, the top end is crisper and has much more spacial definition and the bottom end is tighter, less flabby or muddy.

Well - that's just not true. But I'll allow it since you said"to you ears"....

Quote Scope:

I love the plugins for their sheer quality, ( with 1 exception ).
Even the free one "Xpand!" is a great sounding all-rounder.
Structure ( also available in a free version) gives you access to your EXS24 library.

Well - many of the plugins available for PT are great. But there are also great VST and AU - in fact most of he best plugins cross over all three formats. There are some excellent TDM only ones - but there aer also some great VST only ones. Such is life.

Quote Scope:

PT is cross platform and with the ilok, very portable.
PT is STILL a global standard, so if like me you tour occasionally, there are never any compatibility issues.

Yup - I can go along wih that. But it's also pretty true of other DAWs.

Quote Scope:

On the downside, its usually expensive.

Only TDM now. The rest are cheaper than Nuendo!!

Quote Scope:

The work flow with Midi is still kak compared to Logic / Cubase etc, which inhibits creativity.

Which isn't true at all and leads me to think you've not explored it at all! There are some MIDI functions in PT which are better than the rivals. There are also a number of functions missing. Editing velocities, for example, PT, is class leading..... Differences - I can run with - but not better {or worse}.

Quote Scope:

Vacuum ( analog synth instrument) is horrid !
- A vile farty squeaky pile of virtual vomit, ( that's the one exception ).

You're alone on that one. Brilliant synth for bass lines. Used it on quite a few films as an enhancer to whats there!! Very useful ....

Quote Scope:

The biggest downer is that HD is locked to a particular hardware configuration.
So when the time comes for PCI Express to move aside for the next interface, be ready for a bill.

True - but true of Symphony if you've bought PCIe card!!

Quote Scope:

I use both Logic and PT on a regular basis.
Both have their pros and cons.
My personal opinion is that they complement each other and truth be told, I would not be without either.

Agreed. All DAWs have their pluses and to be honest, complaints of any of them are :

a) minor .... as in it's mostly good news!
b) generally come from the great masses of those who don't use hem in earnest but read something somewhere!!

blackmagicdisco

Re: Pro Tools HD new [Re: _ Six _]
      #973800 - 03/03/12 12:57 PM
Ive been thinking the same, like previous poster said, a combo of Logic/Ableton and Pro Tools is probably the way to go, depending on your workflow. I love the workflow in Ableton, but I couldnt imagine mixing down a track in that Fisher Price style mixer
Thing that concerns me the most, is that Logic 9 on my quadcore iMac performs brilliantly with some pretty heavy plugins running but ive heard that the RTAS performance of plugins is not great.

Also I mix as I go along, so to finish writing a song, then have to export audio and start the mixdown process from scratch doesnt really fit with my workflow.

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/blackmagicdisco

Poly

Re: Pro Tools HD new [Re: blackmagicdisco]
      #973814 - 03/03/12 03:12 PM
I've been using Pro Tools for over 10 years now, and for 7 years now I run my studio with Pro Tools HD.

Cliché but true: if it matches your way of thinking about music and sound, it'll work for you. I use PT HD professionally on a daily basis for composing and mixing. For me, music is structured sound.

If your approach (as valid as any other) is more score-based, Pro Tools might really suck for you.
:-)

--------------------
PolycorpMedia
ProTools HD10 / 24ch Lynx Aurora / API / SSL / A-Designs / TK-Audio / SPL / Raindirk / Hearback

Scope

Re: Pro Tools HD new [Re: Poly]
      #973931 - 04/03/12 11:55 AM
It helps to remember that when discussing preferences, we are all expressing opinions, not facts.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6147

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media