Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ROLO46

Loc: Cotswolds
Re: Audio-book recording - simple audio interface needed?? new [Re: Skibobber]
      #897653 - 27/02/11 11:47 PM
Quote Skibobber:

But I don't want to record anywhere else, I am reading, sat in a comfortable room with just a mic, monitor, keyboard and headphones on. I would just be duplicating the editing process, I still have transfer the files then listen to it, join up the sections because you will hear me moving to turn the divice off and on, and then add the music, might as well do it all in one go sat infront of the monitor where i can zoom in and remove the smaller error. PC outside of the room is no problem either.

I thought you wanted to up grade your labourious ,inflexible system .
All you need to do is read through and retake on occasion
Performance is vital
Transfer and top and tail
Add music
What do you really want?
Work flow is normally record and then post produce.
Assembly on the fly is obtuse, imho

--------------------
I am the Walrus.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #898272 - 02/03/11 11:05 AM
If you're buying a new PC anyway then it of course makes sense to use that for recording. I suspect fan noise will be much less of a problem than it has been. There may be issues with the Magix programme version you have moving to W7 but they (did) have a great support system that'll put you straight. I seem to remember they were bought up by one of the big players but I may be wrong. Audio interfaces are generally of decent quality these days, at least sufficient for mp3 download. USB 2 has been the norm for some time, it's 3 that's coming onstream now but I wouldn't worry, even if your new PC is USB 3 it should be reverse compatible with 2 and that's plenty fast enough.

Apart from that, previous advice applies.

--------------------
Onward and outward

Skibobber

Loc: Manchester, UK.
Re: Audio-book recording - simple audio interface needed?? new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #900421 - 12/03/11 08:12 AM
Got the pc, the Magix software works, but only if I keep the CD in the machine...which is odd as it shows the program is installed and the shortcut is on the desktop just as before. What I am having a problem with is finding a USB network adapter (as my Linksys wusb54gs old one doesn't have drivers for windows 7 64 bit). Having read about the ones that are classed as compatable on the windows 7 website, it seems many are not, and people with far more knowledge than me are struggling to find the right drivers for the chip inside them. So for now I have cable trailing to my router!

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #900427 - 12/03/11 08:34 AM
Quote Skibobber:

Got the pc, the Magix software works, but only if I keep the CD in the machine...which is odd as it shows the program is installed and the shortcut is on the desktop just as before. What I am having a problem with is finding a USB network adapter (as my Linksys wusb54gs old one doesn't have drivers for windows 7 64 bit). Having read about the ones that are classed as compatable on the windows 7 website, it seems many are not, and people with far more knowledge than me are struggling to find the right drivers for the chip inside them. So for now I have cable trailing to my router!

http://www.bilal.ca/linksys-wusb54g-v4-x64-windows-7/
This ^ looks promising but why are you using a usb nework adaptor? Surely the new pc has an RJ45 network port? In any event NIC cards are a fiver.

I have also read many times that you should disable wireless operation in Services since it eats into resources? All my kit is hard wired and Wireless stopped. I have a BT wireless router hard wired to a 4port wireless router* and wireless op is also stopped in both of those.

If you are new to W7 you may not as yet know that it has many tricks up its chips to get odd, old hard and software working and unlike XP's "compatabilty mode" this often actually works!

Good luck, BTW: Try copying the Magix cd to the system hard drive and install it again from there. Use Revouninstaller to clean up first(with thank to MW for that!)
Dave.

Edited by ef37a (12/03/11 08:38 AM)

Skibobber

Re: Audio-book recording - update - old stuff still works with Windows 7 new [Re: Skibobber]
      #901097 - 15/03/11 11:11 AM
Had to let everyone know, all my old stuff works! I found a Windows XP 2000 driver for US-122 on the Tascam site, after downloading this one windows 7 didn't throw up a an error message saying it couldn't run them on my system when I ran it (unlike the one that also had Vista with it). So sat there with my fingers crossed and bingo, it all works. The Magix software also installed from the CD, and it now shows the Tascam in the recording devices and works!

What is so annoying is that both Magix and Tascam's own support teams told me neither would work on Windows 7. I suspect a little marketing strategy going on here! I could have thrown the whole lot out and started again when I didn't need to

Thanks for all your help and I hope anyone else updating to Windows 7 that has this hardware and software reads this!

ef37a

Re: Audio-book recording - update - old stuff still works with Windows 7 new [Re: Skibobber]
      #901100 - 15/03/11 11:24 AM
Both soft and hardware makers are often very cagey about any "un pc" operation of their products.

A common get out is "not supported".
For example this pc runs Win media center edition and M-Audio together with the vast majority of audio firms do not "support" it (which is a bit of a paradox given the os's name!) This basically means if you have any kind of problem and TELL them you have WMCE they won't help. Tell them you have XPpro (which WMCE is basically a bloated version of, so I have been told) and the fixes are found!

Rock on,
Dave.

Gary M
Audio Technica

Loc: Northwood, London
      #901240 - 15/03/11 09:08 PM
Quote Skibobber:

Had to let everyone know, all my old stuff works! I found a Windows XP 2000 driver for US-122 on the Tascam site, after downloading this one windows 7 didn't throw up a an error message saying it couldn't run them on my system when I ran it (unlike the one that also had Vista with it). So sat there with my fingers crossed and bingo, it all works. The Magix software also installed from the CD, and it now shows the Tascam in the recording devices and works!

What is so annoying is that both Magix and Tascam's own support teams told me neither would work on Windows 7. I suspect a little marketing strategy going on here! I could have thrown the whole lot out and started again when I didn't need to

Thanks for all your help and I hope anyone else updating to Windows 7 that has this hardware and software reads this!

I used to work for TASCAM and i can assure you that the US122 don't work on all machines and / or installs of windows 7. therefore it was un-supported. Same also applies on Intel Mac'.

Regards

Gary

Skibobber

Re: Audio-book recording - update new [Re: Skibobber]
      #901309 - 16/03/11 08:30 AM
Well I have decided to buy a new audio interface anyway as I am worried that each time Windows 7 installs an update, something will go wrong, and I don't think the recording quality is as good as it can be using the old US-122. My PC is silent, which is something I've never had before, so I can have it in the same room now and it avoids all those long cables, which I know can cause unwanted sounds being created and picked up in the system. Got my eye on some good used equipement on ebay, but if the price is too high I'll get new.

ef37a

#901315 - 16/03/11 08:47 AM
Quote Skibobber:

Well I have decided to buy a new audio interface anyway as I am worried that each time Windows 7 installs an update, something will go wrong, and I don't think the recording quality is as good as it can be using the old US-122. "My PC is SILENT", which is something I've never had before, so I can have it in the same room now and it avoids all those long cables, which I know can cause unwanted sounds being created and picked up in the system. Got my eye on some good used equipement on ebay, but if the price is too high I'll get new.

Whoa! Just a cotton pickin' there Ski'! You have been at great pains to point out that you need a very, very low noise floor, lower even than most folk would deem necessary for say acoustic guitar? Now I mean no disrespect but I cannot see any "stock" pc coming close to your requirements? SoS have reviewed quite a few "silent" pc's and pronounced them very good but few if any IIRC have been TOTALLY silent?

My own £300. HP W7 machine is remarkably quiet for an "office" pc and will allow acoustic guitar recording (not I would guess to pro standard re noise tho' I bet) but I doubt it would be good enough for you given your previous comments. Love to know what you have bought!

Dave.

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #901348 - 16/03/11 11:01 AM
Quote Skibobber:

Well I have decided to buy a new audio interface anyway as I am worried that each time Windows 7 installs an update, something will go wrong

Then get an image copy backup regime in place. Your worrying can then stop!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

ef37a

Re: Audio-book recording - update new [Re: The Elf]
      #901353 - 16/03/11 11:20 AM
Quote The Elf:

Quote Skibobber:

Well I have decided to buy a new audio interface anyway as I am worried that each time Windows 7 installs an update, something will go wrong

Then get an image copy backup regime in place. Your worrying can then stop!

Or even just set a restore point such as "before XYZ event". I think win updates set restore points when they install anyway?

Dave.

Skibobber

Re: Audio-book recording - update new [Re: The Elf]
      #901414 - 16/03/11 03:47 PM
LOL, I can see what you mean. It's a bespoke one from Dell, cost me over £500 without a monitor, very little software, spent the money on RAM, i5 processor, and HD. It was as much as I could afford that would do the job and a bit more. I haven't recorded yet other than a test, and I may well find the PC does produce a noise, but I am recording in my house, not a studio, so it will never be utterly soundproof, from the test I couldn't hear the PC on playback. What I didn't want was additional noise from the recording equipment itself. I can edit out aircraft noise and my other half turning a tap on downstairs, what I can't edit out is a continuous background noise like a pc fan whirring.

I've been directed to a Pre-Sonus Audiobox by a large retailer who swears by it, but the reviews I've read about using it with Windows 7 and lots of noise problems that can't be sorted is worrying me!

Edited by Skibobber (16/03/11 03:49 PM)

ef37a

#901421 - 16/03/11 04:18 PM
Well,good for Dell!

Better get one in Martin and spec' it out!

Re the AI. Has the Focusrite Saffire6 usb not been mentioned? Much the same price as the Audiobox and I have yet to read one bad thing about it.

Dave.

Skibobber

Re: Audio-book recording - simple audio interface needed?? new [Re: Mike Stranks]
      #901425 - 16/03/11 04:28 PM
Quote Mike Stranks:

Quote ROLO46:

XLR into a small silent solid state recorder and then file transfer to the 'puter for post production would be neater and not a budget breaker... By angling the Mic at 45 degrees a small room can sound OK... Just a hint of compression and a few Top n Tails and your done.

Yup! That works for me! No worries about computer noise when recording 'cos it's switched-off. I don't get hung-up about page-turning; if I can hear it on playback then I simply edit it out.

Well this is when I think this system would fail for me. I'm playing back my recording, with my PC on, having transfered the files and fired up my Magix editing program with all the volume/mixer controls set, and I come across a word, or sentence that needs re-recording. I have to save the edited files so far, make a note of all the mixer settings, and turn the PC off. I then have to Re-record (without being able to 'see' the exact words infront of me) put the PC back on, transfer the file, fire up Magix, set the mixer, and hope when I find the right spot, it matches and slots in! With around 40 edits per 45 mins of speech, I would be there for weeks! At present - I record, stop, playback, and so on, save the whole thing when it's all perfect, add music, burn to CD, make an mp3 version, and turn the whole lot off!

Skibobber

Re: Audio-book recording - update - old stuff still works with Windows 7 new [Re: Gary M]
      #903873 - 26/03/11 01:12 PM

I used to work for TASCAM and i can assure you that the US122 don't work on all machines and / or installs of windows 7. therefore it was un-supported. Same also applies on Intel Mac'.

Regards

Gary

Oh yes it does - I downloaded all the drivers for windows and tried them one-by-one and one of them worked. The only issue I had was there was some noise on playback through the line-out, which disappears after 30 secs, but restarts each time I hit play. So I now playback through the PC's own soundcard and the playback is perfect.

Gary M
Audio Technica

#903930 - 26/03/11 07:41 PM
Quote Skibobber:

Regards

Gary

Oh yes it does - I downloaded all the drivers for windows and tried them one-by-one and one of them worked. The only issue I had was there was some noise on playback through the line-out, which disappears after 30 secs, but restarts each time I hit play. So I now playback through the PC's own soundcard and the playback is perfect.

Yes but as I said this is not the case for all PC's with many different motherboard, cpu, Chipset configs. If it was a case of it working on all PC's then it would say windows 7 supported on the website. Believe me when i say i had many nightmares one in particular where a school had updated their 30 PC's and the orignal US122 did not work on any of them.

Regards

Gary

Skibobber

Re: Audio-book recording - update - old stuff still works with Windows 7 new [Re: Gary M]
      #904033 - 27/03/11 01:27 PM
Quote Gary M:

Quote Skibobber:

Regards

Gary

Yes but as I said this is not the case for all PC's with many different motherboard, cpu, Chipset configs. If it was a case of it working on all PC's then it would say windows 7 supported on the website. Believe me when i say i had many nightmares one in particular where a school had updated their 30 PC's and the orignal US122 did not work on any of them.

Regards

Gary

Then what Tascam should say is 'try it and see' so people don't dump stuff they have no need to!!!

I actually had it listed on ebay thinking that if I couldn't get rid of the playback noise, it must be because of the drivers, then I decided to have another play with it after reading that others had got it to work. As long as I playback through the PC's sound card, all is well. I appreciate that the US-122 isn't an expensive Audio Interface, but they only pull about £40 on ebay, so there would still be an outlay for a new one and for all I know, I might have the same Line-Out noise!

Gary M
Audio Technica

#904352 - 28/03/11 09:42 PM
if your playing back audio out of your computer speakers then your not using the US122 as a playback device. you may find problems if you were to use it in this fashion.

regards

Gary

Skibobber

#905049 - 31/03/11 11:49 AM
Quote Gary M:

if your playing back audio out of your computer speakers then your not using the US122 as a playback device. you may find problems if you were to use it in this fashion.

regards

Gary

Not sure what you mean, I am not playing back through the Tascam, therefore I have no problems! I only ever used to play back through the PC and speakers, I only changed to the using the Line out connected to my speakers when I found a cable that I had forgotten I had, so I'm back to my original layout. The playback through the PC is very good quality, so I can hear everything very clearly and I could use headphones plugged into the speakers too. If I get problems in the future, then buying a new Tascam is always an option, but for now though I am saving money!

Skibobber

Re: Audio-book recording - simple audio interface needed?? new [Re: ef37a]
      #905264 - 01/04/11 03:37 AM
Quote:

This ^ looks promising but why are you using a usb nework adaptor? Surely the new pc has an RJ45 network port? In any event NIC cards are a fiver.

I have also read many times that you should disable wireless operation in Services since it eats into resources? All my kit is hard wired and Wireless stopped. I have a BT wireless router hard wired to a 4port wireless router* and wireless op is also stopped in both of those.

If you are new to W7 you may not as yet know that it has many tricks up its chips to get odd, old hard and software working and unlike XP's "compatabilty mode" this often actually works!

Good luck, BTW: Try copying the Magix cd to the system hard drive and install it again from there. Use Revouninstaller to clean up first(with thank to MW for that!)
Dave.

I reinstalled Magix CD and it works ok now. I also got the network adapter to work. Went into Device Manager and found the USB port and downloaded a driver for the adapter and it worked. Dell told me that if I had got Windows 7 Pro, I could have downloaded Windows XP and run the pc in XP mode, but within Windows 7, then my Tascam would have worked straight off, but they never told me that when ordering the system, even though I told them I had hardware that I knew wasn't comp. with Windows 7. Poor sales info on their part, as Windows 7 pro is more expensive and I would have paid it for the convenience!

ef37a

#905274 - 01/04/11 06:43 AM
Quote Skibobber:

Quote:

Dave.

I reinstalled Magix CD and it works ok now. I also got the network adapter to work. Went into Device Manager and found the USB port and downloaded a driver for the adapter and it worked. Dell told me that if I had got Windows 7 Pro, I could have downloaded Windows XP and run the pc in XP mode, but within Windows 7, then my Tascam would have worked straight off, but they never told me that when ordering the system, even though I told them I had hardware that I knew wasn't comp. with Windows 7. Poor sales info on their part, as Windows 7 pro is more expensive and I would have paid it for the convenience!

I have 7 Home Premium 64bit. I have read that some of the bells and whistles of Pro are buried inside Premium or can be downloaded for free from Ms (like Live, but DON'T get it unless you really need it, pig to get rid of!).
I still wonder why you are tapping a usb resource to convert RJ45 data?

Dave.

Skibobber

#908357 - 15/04/11 09:59 AM
Quote:

I have 7 Home Premium 64bit. I have read that some of the bells and whistles of Pro are buried inside Premium or can be downloaded for free from Ms (like Live, but DON'T get it unless you really need it, pig to get rid of!).

Dave.

No idea what RJ45 data is???

ef37a

#908383 - 15/04/11 11:34 AM
Quote Skibobber:

Quote:

Dave.

No idea what RJ45 data is???

Sorry Ski'!

RJ45 is the 8pin connector used for LAN networks. All computers have had them on the MOBO for donky's so my point is why are you going from RJ45 to usb when the LAN could plug directly into the pc?

Many pc's can handle 1000Mb LAN these days and I THINK that is quicker than usb2.0.

Dave.

Skibobber

#909132 - 19/04/11 06:06 AM
Do you mean why am I using a wireless adapter connected through USB instead of trailing a wire from a room downstairs to a room upstairs?

If the answer is yes, I don't want a wire!

ef37a

#909137 - 19/04/11 06:53 AM
Quote Skibobber:

Do you mean why am I using a wireless adapter connected through USB instead of trailing a wire from a room downstairs to a room upstairs?

Ah! You are probably too young to understand this but...
"Oooo! Nasty!"

I lived with a wireless network for about 12months at work, slow, unreliable, insecure crap. I have a bog cheap 4 port Maplin router here and all is copper, in fact the wireless parts of the whole system, BT Hub,router, and the wireless services in all computers are turned off.

Can't you chuck a wire out a window? I can send you 20mtrs of 4pair ready plugged up!

Dave.

Skibobber

#909958 - 22/04/11 04:15 PM
Quote ef37a:

Quote Skibobber:

"Oooo! Nasty!"

I lived with a wireless network for about 12months at work, slow, unreliable, insecure crap. I have a bog cheap 4 port Maplin router here and all is copper, in fact the wireless parts of the whole system, BT Hub,router, and the wireless services in all computers are turned off.

Can't you chuck a wire out a window? I can send you 20mtrs of 4pair ready plugged up!

Dave.

In the 10 years I've been using a wireless connection with all 4 computers, I have not had our secured network hacked, lost a connection, or found it any slower than with a wired connection! So I'll stick to wire free!

ef37a

#910060 - 23/04/11 05:51 AM
Quote Skibobber:

Quote ef37a:

Quote Skibobber:

"Oooo! Nasty!"

Dave.

In the 10 years I've been using a wireless connection with all 4 computers, I have not had our secured network hacked, lost a connection, or found it any slower than with a wired connection! So I'll stick to wire free!

Ok, points taken.

If it is fast enough for your needs then of course it is fast enough. I am NO pc guru but I am sure wireless cannot compete with 100M copper? And I was always under the impression that it is best to turn off wireles services on music computers?

Dave.

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
      #910074 - 23/04/11 08:57 AM
HomePlug. Relatively inexpensive. Reliable. Secure. Trivially easy to use. Requires no special software on the computer but just uses the Ethernet port. I only use Wifi now to connect my phone, and even then my transmitter connects to the router via HomePlug. Buggered if I know why people bother with Wifi if they're not roaming.

CC

--------------------
Remember: Tidy wires are happy wires!
Mr Punch's Studio

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #910075 - 23/04/11 09:01 AM
Quote Skibobber:

or found it any slower than with a wired connection! So I'll stick to wire free!

Have you compared it? I think you'll find a wired connection considerably faster.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

ef37a

Re: Audio-book recording - simple audio interface needed?? [Re: The Elf]
      #910084 - 23/04/11 09:38 AM
I suppose it all depends on what you do?

Son regularly shunts 1-2G music files about, takes long enough on copper!

I think the mains plug jobbies are about 1/2 as fast as CAT5e?

Dave.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 21937

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media