Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
RCapes

Loc: West Sussex
Why have separate, special clocks new
      #912200 - 03/05/11 04:58 PM
Dear Forum,

When all soundcards have clocks in them, what is the purpose of these very expensive, separate clocks?

Thanks for any answers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: Why have separate, special clocks new [Re: RCapes]
      #912203 - 03/05/11 05:05 PM
If you have three watches that are all good but all tell different times, which you you use to get the accurate time from?

The purpose of having one good clock is to a) have a *good* clock, and b) so you can clock *everything* else from it, locking it all to the one good clock.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Why have separate, special clocks [Re: RCapes]
      #912207 - 03/05/11 05:28 PM
Quote RCapes:

When all soundcards have clocks in them, what is the purpose of these very expensive, separate clocks?

The clocks in sound cards can't always be synchronised to some types of external reference, such as video sync, which is often necessary in audio-visual applications for example.

Also, it is sometimes more practical to use a master clock to drive everything from a central point, rather than chain the clock from a soundcard around a complex system.

For most small digital systems the clock in the soundcard is entirely adequate and can be distributed to the few units that need it without much problem.

And from a techniacl point of view, it is always better to run the main A-D from its internal clock. With only one or two exceptions, running an A-D from an external clock degrades its technical performance, sometimes quite significantly.

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

. . . Delete This
Here be Dragons

Re: Why have separate, special clocks new [Re: desmond]
      #912208 - 03/05/11 05:29 PM
separate clocks are only really useful in complex digital systems where multiple devices need to be synchronised together... for example, if you have a protools rig, and logic rig, and a hardware recorder, and some digital FX, and a couple of digital 2 track recorders (like we do) then you need to get everything sync'ed together from one master clock, and doing so in parallel form a clock with multiple dedicated outputs is far more reliably stable than daisy chaining them all .

especially if some of the clocks use different formats, like Protools does, a master clock capable of generating all the different formats is essential.

RCapes

Loc: West Sussex
      #912392 - 04/05/11 04:18 PM
Many thanks to those who answered. I now understand!

cheers

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #912611 - 05/05/11 08:33 PM
Hugh seems too modest to mention his authoritative article on this issue... so I'll post the link here for him

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3423

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media