Main Forums >> Keyboards & Synthesis
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Kolakube

Loc: Geordieland
Load Korg legacy sounds onto real deal M1 new
      #909649 - 21/04/11 07:31 AM
Anyone know if the Korg Legacy VST's can trade sounds with a real deal M1?

Just thinking its a great way to have access to all of the cards. As such bet you can't

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
Re: Load Korg legacy sounds onto real deal M1 new [Re: Kolakube]
      #909696 - 21/04/11 09:26 AM
Which way round do you mean?

Does the legacy accept sounds from the real M1? Yes it does, same with the legacy wavestation
One thing that socked me was how much better the hardware wavestation sounded to the software...I thought it would be the same.

Kolakube

#909794 - 21/04/11 03:01 PM
No mate, I ment the other way.

IE the M1 VST load sound banks to the Korg M1.

Its just you get all the sound cards with the VST version. Was wondering could you get them from the virtual BS world into the real world?

Chevytraveller

Loc: London
      #909800 - 21/04/11 03:10 PM
You'd have a problem with the Banks that use extra PCM cards.. easy to replicate those in the virtual world, but requires the PCM card on a real one..
That aside, the program data should be interchangeable, but the VST Pgm formats would need converting into sysex info

You don't need a M1 anyway.. (This is not the synth you're looking for)

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

desmond

Re: Load Korg legacy sounds onto real deal M1 new [Re: Chevytraveller]
      #909811 - 21/04/11 03:33 PM
In short, no. You can export sysex from the Legacy (so ther's no way for the M1 to import the patches) and the extra PCM samples need to be on chips inside the instrument (ie, on rom chips, or PCM cards) - those PCM samples are not contained in the patch data.

Same deal for the Wavestation. It's an import into Legacy, one way only deal.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #909962 - 22/04/11 04:24 PM
Yep, agreed - Progs/Combis are one thing, but there's no way to send all the extra samples over

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Kolakube

#910779 - 27/04/11 08:01 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks, sorry for no reply. Had a fault on my line since last thursday!

Simon - Whats wrong with an M1?? They were the business in the late 80s and early 90s.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #910924 - 27/04/11 06:50 PM
Nothing wrong with the Korg M1 - although it sold in shedloads it was a true classic (I still have one propped up against my studio wall, only because I have the Legacy digital version which sounds almost the same (and in some ways better).

Its sounds have been overused in a thousand hits, but hey - it’s due for a comeback, and I still find the keyboard synth action a good one with a decent and controllable aftertouch

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Chevytraveller

#910930 - 27/04/11 07:17 PM
Quote kolakube:

Hi guys,

Simon - Whats wrong with an M1?? They were the business in the late 80s and early 90s.

Just as Martin said, totally overused and responsible for so many musical crimes between '88-'94
The Piano patch just does my head in now and is akin to nails on a blackboard for me ..
but hey ho, personal taste and all that

My biggest gripe with it (and the reason I sold mine and bought a Wavestation within 6 months of buying it) is the inability to get any real movement or life from the original samples.. basically the sounds always sound the same and as with many ROMplers, get very boring, very quickly.

I was glad to have bought the Legacy collection before they split it into "digital" and "analogue".. so I have the very excellent Wavestation.. a synth that continues to be a source of fun and inspiration along with the lovely analogue emulations.

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

Kolakube

#910948 - 27/04/11 08:32 PM
I dunno mate. Cant judge it on its presets. If they got boring program new ones.

I remember my mate used his to make techno back in 91. Very convincing as it was his only synth. That and a 909.

I wouldn't buy one unless it was a real bargin. But if ever an M1R presents itself for the £50 mark I could be interested. Id also one day own a D50 rack and a Kawai K4R that was a poor mans M1. A very underrated budget synth and company IMO.

Mind in saying all that, I have shut the door currently. I have all I need. More kit won't improve anything.

vinyl_junkie

#910951 - 27/04/11 08:44 PM
Quote Chevytraveller:

Quote kolakube:

Hi guys,

Just as Martin said, totally overused and responsible for so many musical crimes between '88-'94
The Piano patch just does my head in now and is akin to nails on a blackboard for me ..
but hey ho, personal taste and all that

My biggest gripe with it (and the reason I sold mine and bought a Wavestation within 6 months of buying it) is the inability to get any real movement or life from the original samples.. basically the sounds always sound the same and as with many ROMplers, get very boring, very quickly.

I was glad to have bought the Legacy collection before they split it into "digital" and "analogue".. so I have the very excellent Wavestation.. a synth that continues to be a source of fun and inspiration along with the lovely analogue emulations.

With you here....I was so glad to see the back of it when I sold mine many moons ago, one thing I did really like about it though was the key action and it's size...Just like with the S-1000KB you could put better synths on it! Like Nord Lead 2 Rack's or Micro Modulars ;-)

If I do have one thing in common with Liam Howlet is that we both hate workstations like the M1 (He stated this in a interview with Korg that he never got keyboards like the M1 while he was bigging up the MS-2000 or MicroKorg)
Personaly I never have the patiance to program them or anything...M1 mate just sounds like General Midi to me, so out dated and lame
Just get a Korg X5DR, it's all the old skool boxes in one box, had one at school

Chevytraveller

#910958 - 27/04/11 08:56 PM
Quote kolakube:

I dunno mate. Cant judge it on its presets. If they got boring program new ones.

Id also one day own a D50 rack and a Kawai K4R that was a poor mans M1. A very underrated budget synth and company IMO.

I wasn't talking about the presets.. the lack of any real synth programability.. tried programming mine, but you couldn't get away from the basic tones.
I had a K4r a few years later, now that was an interesting synth, although the resonant filter helped it alot.. something the M1 was desperately lacking IMO

--------------------

vinyl_junkie

#910960 - 27/04/11 08:58 PM
At least the soft version has a resonant filter now! And all the cards to boot...

The stock sounds and waves though yaawwn And if I hear Lore ever, please get the gun wtf was all that about lol

Kolakube

#910961 - 27/04/11 08:59 PM
Na man.

Im limiting my sound sources to pre 92 equipment. A golden era for me.

With no money in this or a hope of making a living that can compare with my degree (hopefully) im pursuing a time for myself when all was very exiting in the music industry. A time when I smiled from ear to ear.

I honestly dont think you can just write a synth like the M1 off though. WHat works for one doesn't for another. There all just tools. And what tool what musician uses is always going to be up for debate.

Guess ive always wanted to own an M1 since I was young. So why not for £50?

Bet if I locked you in a room for a month with just an M1 and a 909 you'd make an ok tune. Its too easy to be spoilt for choice these days and forget what can be done with simple set ups.

vinyl_junkie

#910963 - 27/04/11 09:01 PM
I was watching Frost the other night...you know the cop show with David Jason...and all the scenes had damn Wavestation presets all over the whole show! Terrible

Again, Ski-Jam WTF was all that nasty stuff about hahah

Wavestation is a much nicer synth than the M1 though but programing it is another story

vinyl_junkie

#910964 - 27/04/11 09:05 PM
Wish I had pics of my M1 Kola hahah It was like the 90's bedroom in the early 00's lol M1 on the floor, wires every where, Akai samplers, MAM FreeBass, Drum Station, Micro Q, DX-100 hahah

I couldn't afford a MPC or a good computer for sequencer so instead of a Wavestation I got a M1 thinking I could use it to sequence my other stuff..I hated it hahah

Edited by vinyl_junkie (27/04/11 09:06 PM)

Chevytraveller

Re: Load Korg legacy sounds onto real deal M1 new [Re: vinyl_junkie]
      #910966 - 27/04/11 09:12 PM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

I couldn't afford a MPC or a good computer for sequencer so instead of a Wavestation I got a M1 thinking I could use it to sequence my other stuff..I hated it hahah

DOH!!..

I know so many people who made the mistake of buying the M1 because of it's "sequencer"..

They all had the same look on their faces as the people who watched the crying game expecting to see a naked bird at the end

--------------------

desmond

#910967 - 27/04/11 09:13 PM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

Crimes against TV's everywhere, that one. Movies, documentaries, take yer pick.

Although I did quite like Mark Snow's use of a characteristic WS PCM waveform in the early X-Files seasons...

*cough*geek*cough*

Sorry. Enough preset spotting.

Quote vinyl_junkie:

Wavestation is a much nicer synth than the M1 though but programing it is another story

I loved programming the WS, especially via it's front panel. The thing about these limited filter romplers like the M1 and WS is that you can indeed get away from the basic tones but it requires some creativity and a slightly different approach to sound design.

In fact, the WS in particular was amazingly flexible...

Edited by desmond (27/04/11 09:14 PM)

vinyl_junkie

#910970 - 27/04/11 09:18 PM
I envy any one who cam program the WS well, I think it's a fantastic synth that's capable of some wonderful sounds and have heard some amazing things come from them but I just didn't get on with it which annoyed me.
I can get simmilar sounds from my Blofeld but they don't have that same sheen...got Prophet VS wavetables in there now too heheh

Chevytraveller

#910973 - 27/04/11 09:38 PM
I loved my Wavestation.. programmed it a lot.. it was always very rewarding.. going in and messing with the wave sequencing. Only pain was it affected other presets that uses the same voices.. but it was easy to forgive it it's misgivings as it was and still is a completely unique synth
I still get to see it from time to time as a mate has it now, but the legacy is even nicer to delve into and has the expanded ROMsets..
Not sure who owns the rights to Wave Sequencing (Korg or Dave Smith) but it would be nice to see it resurrected on a Prophet synth

--------------------

desmond

#910977 - 27/04/11 10:10 PM
Quote Chevytraveller:

Only pain was it affected other presets that uses the same voices..

Only if you *used* patches/wavesequences that others perfs/patches were using. If you were sensible you *always* kept stuff separate.

Quote Chevytraveller:

Not sure who owns the rights to Wave Sequencing (Korg or Dave Smith) but it would be nice to see it resurrected on a Prophet synth

Korg. It was resurrected in the ubersynth Oasys I think as well...

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
      #910997 - 28/04/11 12:21 AM
Quote kolakube:

... and a Kawai K4R that was a poor mans M1. A very underrated budget synth and company IMO.

I happen to have my brother's K4R close to hand to work out some patches for his bass guitar synth. Hard work to edit, but in many ways far more powerful than the M1. And once funds allow me to get shopping on ebay again, I'll be getting one for myself, or maybe even the K4 keyboard.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Captain Waves

#911004 - 28/04/11 04:03 AM
Quote kolakube:

Na man.

Im limiting my sound sources to pre 92 equipment. A golden era for me.

With no money in this or a hope of making a living that can compare with my degree (hopefully) im pursuing a time for myself when all was very exiting in the music industry. A time when I smiled from ear to ear.

I honestly dont think you can just write a synth like the M1 off though. WHat works for one doesn't for another. There all just tools. And what tool what musician uses is always going to be up for debate.

Guess ive always wanted to own an M1 since I was young. So why not for £50?

Bet if I locked you in a room for a month with just an M1 and a 909 you'd make an ok tune. Its too easy to be spoilt for choice these days and forget what can be done with simple set ups.

Kola man , nice one!
I have the greatest respect for your attitude & plans above , everything you said..
You are going for gold & for the Roots of the matter & flying against the banal 'must-have'-mass- musical-tech-'more of everything' conciousness.
.. I really see what you are going for & thank you once again for writing about your feelings on this forum.. much more interesting to me than the usual general topics.
I wish you luck on your quest & that you find that golden era in music again . Thats what its all about.
Im on similar journey with my musical work/ play.. trying to find that excitement again even if I have to limit myself to a jawharp( or is it 'Jewish harp'?)
Im going out to spend a fair bit of money on a Tascam 688 (cassette 8 track) tomorrow, when logic & my mind says "SToPPP!.youd be mad to buy that outdated junk... get that Kaoss Pad "..or even more logical , the Apogee Duet that I keep meaning to get as I still dont have a proper audio interface...but my heart says , get the Tascam .. I have loads of cassettes from back in the day when I was experiencing my 'golden era' musically, really exciting stuff recorded on the most basic setup.. ( Poly800,EX800, W30, Analogue delay,stomp boxs, SH101 , guitars & vox, Yamaha 4 track cassette recorder!) & now I have all the synths that I could wish for ( though theres always room for a few more!)& digital recorders, but nothing beats what I achieved on that humble setup from the late 80s to the mid 90s.
I too am going for gold.
Big ups

Edited by Captain Waves (28/04/11 04:06 AM)

Kolakube

#911017 - 28/04/11 07:23 AM
@ Chevy

Quote:

Only pain was it affected other presets that uses the same voices.. but it was easy to forgive it it's misgivings as it was and still is a completely unique synth

Its quirks and restrictions like this that make me rise to the challenge and go off in different areas and directions than I would of had I used unlimited DAWs and VSTs.

You gotta love the quirkyness of hardware. A lot of happy accidents happened through this. These days of instant recall and software that make the music basically write itself makes everything sound utterly perfect.
I think there is a lot of milage for much raw'er sounding productions. Im just wating for the back lash to start

Quote:

Only if you *used* patches/wavesequences that others perfs/patches were using. If you were sensible you *always* kept stuff separate.

^^^ There you go, Des fettled it!

@ Desmond

Quote:

Although I did quite like Mark Snow's use of a characteristic WS PCM waveform in the early X-Files seasons...

*cough*geek*cough*

Your not alone. I watch tons of TV for that era and Korg Presets ruled the day haha

@ Zen

Totally back up what you say.

I agree the K4 was a fantastic synth. To compare it to the M1 though you have to mention the M1 was actually twice the price back in the day. The K4 selling for £400 new!!! Back then this was a very low price for such a slab of technology. As such the K4 was way better value for money.

As I said to vinyl junkie, I bet if I locked any of us who have contributed this thread in a cupord for a month with a M1, or a K4 or whatever and a decent drum machine, decent electronic music would be made.

Its often not the instrument its the human behind it. As long as its capable. IE locking you in a cupboard with one 101 can only make one sound. But still. Bet we'd all found a way.

I refuse to loose site of this simple set up mentality.

Kolakube

#911018 - 28/04/11 07:33 AM
@ Captain Waves

(LONG POST WARNING :] )

hey mate, nice to be recognised!

I just figure that the music industry doesn't care about me any more so why should I bow to it and do as instructed. If ever it wants to pay my mortgage or give me some recognition that ill start making the music it like with the methods it demands. Until that day im time traveling back to pre 92.

Theres a load of kit after 92 that I like. JV1080/2080, Akai S3000XL, MPC 3000, JP8000 and more however this was not available to me back in my golden ear so im prohibiting that now. I know this may sound nuts but I started this a few months back now and in my style of music I have wrote far better tunes with a very limited set up all ready.
So much so I have set up a separate youtube channel (clarktrent music) just to see the difference.

I want to be sort of where Vinyl Junkie is. As much as he doesnt set a date on what kit he has he has had the same gear for yonks. Yeah a few things change here and there but predominantly he has a set up he knows like the back of his hand. I find this far more productive than having a cracked DAW na d every single cracked VST on the planet that can do everything for you whilst you make your self a cup of tea and without ever switching the PC on yawwwwnnnnn

I think the most liberating thing for me is I have literally stuck two fingers up at this thing they call the music industry that resembles NOTHING to what I remember. A one I personally can see no positives to at all and can only see getting worse.

Quote:

. I really see what you are going for & thank you once again for writing about your feelings on this forum.. much more interesting to me than the usual general topics.

Thanks mate. I sometimes worry im like a stuck record and people are getting sick of me. But then I feel so passionate about what I am doing.

I feel like lending one of Kenny Everotte's huge hands and giving the world a slap and shouting. This is the wrong way!!!! Turn around!!! Start making tangible products and renounce the internet as a distribution source and non tangeble instruments.

I think im a bit of an extremist too. Many people seems happy with the present way. But then I must stand and be counted. Even if I am the only one.

Quote:

I wish you luck on your quest & that you find that golden era in music again . Thats what its all about.
Im on similar journey with my musical work/ play.. trying to find that excitement again even if I have to limit myself to a jawharp( or is it 'Jewish harp'?)

I have no idea what a Jews Harp sounds like or does but if your going to use the methods you mention and record onto an 8 track cassette deck than I want to hear your product!! Let me know when you settle on an approach.

I must warn you. My approach has taken me years to settle upon. Its basically an Emax 2 sampler (Synths and fx) , MPC 60 (All drums) 101 and a Juno 6. This set up covers all angles for me. Now its time for me to shut the door on gear acquisition, and learn my new studio. God, I cant stop smiling as I say those words. Been a long time since music production had such an affect on me.

Quote:

Im going out to spend a fair bit of money on a Tascam 688 (cassette 8 track) tomorrow, when logic & my mind says "SToPPP!.youd be mad to buy that outdated junk... get that Kaoss Pad "..or even more logical , the Apogee Duet that I keep meaning to get as I still dont have a proper audio interface...but my heart says , get the Tascam .. I have loads of cassettes from back in the day when I was experiencing my 'golden era' musically,

No, your not mad mate. Your original!! Follow your heart and see where it leads. If you get fame and money then thats a great bonus but do it for yourself first and foremost.

If you lived near me Id come see your new 8 track as it sounds mighty sexy!

Much like if you bought a new VST it sound mighty uninteresting and much like every one else on earth. THis is what I mean about VSTs. THey have no soul. No attracting. No character, no quirks.

I doubt anyone will look back at there VST Jupiter 8 in quite the same way they look back to when they bought their first Juno 106 or whatever. VSTs are just dead.

That cassette 8 track is just so alive. So F if its not 128 bit and can't record up to a million K. Go for it mate!! When you get it be sure to post up a new thread with a photo. Id love to see it.

Quote:

Big ups

Dont forget if you have the cash to release your best work on vinyl every year!!

I know a company that release runs as small as 50. If no one buys them come over my place and we can Frisbee them on an open field but we can hold our heads high that we didn't get forced over and decided for ourselves.

Of course we will keep a few copies for the grandkids etc. Unlike the MP3s that would otherwise be lost on a 40 megaton iPod.

I fell so liberated by not caring any more.

So, big ups back at ya! Keep in touch mate.

desmond

Re: Load Korg legacy sounds onto real deal M1 new [Re: desmond]
      #914304 - 14/05/11 10:11 PM
Quote desmond:

Quote vinyl_junkie:

Crimes against TV's everywhere, that one. Movies, documentaries, take yer pick.

And... in a surprise twist, I just found out *today* completely by coincidence who made my most hated all-time patch, "Ski Jam" and it turns out it's a fellow forumite friend I've bantered with over the years, never knowing he was the architect of my sound-design synth nemesis all along, which tickled me royally...

vinyl_junkie

Re: Load Korg legacy sounds onto real deal M1 [Re: Kolakube]
      #914311 - 14/05/11 11:06 PM
I found out something quite funny the other day too... The Mac start up sound was made on a Wavestation, so the interwebs says any way.

The Windows 95 start up sound was on the other hand done by Brian Eno for a helluva lot of wonga and it's rumoured to be a layered Prophet VS sound probs mixed with some DX7

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *
Thread views: 8022

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media