Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Dianne Sagun

Loc: 1826 Emily Renzelli Boulevard ...
unrecognized USB device
      #917343 - 01/06/11 07:48 AM
I’ve was trying to plug a USB on one of my USB ports on my CPU but I was given an error that the USB Device is not recognized. What seems to be the problem, I was just using that port previously? How can I fix it?

--------------------
DIE and Revive For Us -

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: unrecognized USB device new [Re: Dianne Sagun]
      #917357 - 01/06/11 08:17 AM
Is this a front port on the pc? Have you tried it in one of them round the back?

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #917528 - 01/06/11 05:07 PM
Welcome to the SOS Forums Dianne!

Aha, I’ve also faced the ‘'USB Device Not Recognised’ on a front port when plugging in some USB sticks, while the same stick would work perfectly when plugged into a rear-mounted port directly connected to the motherboard, and discussed the problem way back in my October 2006 PC Notes column:

www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct06/articles/pcnotes_1006.htm#3

Hope it helps!

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Hairy Ears

Loc: UK
      #917564 - 01/06/11 08:59 PM
I've also encountered the situation where a device sometimes doesn't get recognised when I plug it in. After unplugging and replugging it then works. Usually my 3G stick, but I have also seen it happen with a flash drive.

--------------------
* Soundcloud *
* Bandcamp *

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: unrecognized USB device new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #917610 - 02/06/11 08:42 AM
Quote Martin Walker:

and discussed the problem way back in my October 2006 PC Notes column:

I've never seen that one before. Good to see a solid result in a mystery shopper situation too!

Yeah, tend to find on some boards that only the I/O plate mounted usb ports will give the full output as stated by the usb spec and sometimes the header ones that then get connected to the front panel can come up short. It use to be fairly common up until 3 or 4 years ago and now most of the previous guilty suspects seem to have their act in order. Always the first thing to try through as even previously working ports can be sporadic in detecting if not completely upto par.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

DragonLogos
Above us only Sky

Loc: East London
      #917630 - 02/06/11 09:27 AM
if it happens with any device it could be that the - data is in the + data place...

If can also be a faulty cable, ie Printer or Camera A to B cable

For front USB that sometimes and only with some devices plays up, it can be bad soldering on the USB board in the front, but most times it is down to the header wires are not good and are too long. In which case it is best to replace them with good copper wire and only as long as they need to be... like some beers USB does not travel well, which is true of a lot of stuff that has to go down wires... crossed pairs, bitter and twisted cables... LOL

If it is playing up front and back could well be the device is thinking of checking out on you

--------------------
www.dragonlogos.co.uk

DragonLogos
Above us only Sky

#917633 - 02/06/11 09:35 AM
BTW this is a famous fault for the HP 2015 laser - toner light comes on USB does not want to know and the service centre wants to sell you a formater board for just under the price of the printer... it can be fixed without too much drama... Was rather ticked that HP dodged the bullet on that one

--------------------
www.dragonlogos.co.uk

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Re: unrecognized USB device new [Re: DragonLogos]
      #917641 - 02/06/11 09:55 AM
Quote DragonLogos:

... like some beers USB does not travel well, which is true of a lot of stuff that has to go down wires... crossed pairs, bitter and twisted cables... LOL

What a lovely quote DragonLogos!

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

DragonLogos
Above us only Sky

#917645 - 02/06/11 10:05 AM
Thanks Martin

Just a warning to anyone building up systems, or re-doing wiring to USB headers...

DO NOT REVERSE position Ground and +5v the result will be dire. Check it and check it twice, then test it before putting in a device LOL

--------------------
www.dragonlogos.co.uk

TheZman1

#917792 - 02/06/11 07:37 PM
I have had the same problem with the front USB port on my computer. Some devises work fine on the rear USB ports but not the front and some devises work fine on both. Reading the previous posts it sounds like the problem lies with the front ports being wired and the rear ports are physically mounted to the motherboard.

--------------------
Camping Gear

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Re: unrecognized USB device new [Re: TheZman1]
      #917957 - 03/06/11 01:35 PM
Hi TheZman1, and welcome to the SOS Forums!

Yep - you’ve got it. It’s the extra length of thin wire connecting the front ports to the motherboard that seems to be the culprit. As DragonLogos mentions above, the ideal solution if you run into this problem is to replace that cable with something more ‘manly’ (i.e. thicker, with more copper, and only as long as it needs to be rather than with the excess coiled up in a corner).

By the way DL and Pete both - with your vast practical experience have either of you ever used twisted pair for USB front port data connections?

It does state in various places that USB High and Full Speeds can only be attained if special attention is given to screening and of having the data wires as a "twisted pair". This is presumably referring to USB cables, but it does occur to me that internal cables attached to motherboards headers ought ideally to comply with this as well. DO any motherboard manufacturers offer such screened/twisted pair header cable options?

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#917995 - 03/06/11 03:23 PM
Some of the older Silverstones (TJ05 did it I recall) had them although that would be going on for half a decade back now. Doesn't seem to be something anyone cares to impliment these days through.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

DragonLogos
Above us only Sky

#919253 - 09/06/11 11:56 AM
Quote Martin Walker:

By the way DL and Pete both - with your vast practical experience have either of you ever used twisted pair for USB front port data connections?

It does state in various places that USB High and Full Speeds can only be attained if special attention is given to screening and of having the data wires as a "twisted pair". This is presumably referring to USB cables, but it does occur to me that internal cables attached to motherboards headers ought ideally to comply with this as well. DO any motherboard manufacturers offer such screened/twisted pair header cable options?
Martin

I rarely twisted cables for front USBs - It took me a while to work out the exact nature of the problem, but as said it was down to poor copper and keeping it as short as possible. The back header cables that you get from Gigabyte are twisted and have never had a problem from them

When making a cable shorter it is sometimes better to replace it with some really good gold coloured copper and solder the wires directly onto the front section

Another problem you can get with front USBs is when the plastic tooth gets broken off (the oblong plastic lock) this normally happens when a USB device is inserted and it gets a bump. You can replace these without too much effort, if you cannot get from your spares supplier you can always knock a few off scrap mobos

Have had PCs coming in that are dead only to find it was the front USB shorting out - a good visual check for PCs and notebooks

--------------------
www.dragonlogos.co.uk

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 5322

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media