Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
UKDEVELOPER

Using MAC as FX Processor in a theatre environment new
      #921282 - 19/06/11 06:28 PM
Hello,

This is my first post, so please excuse me if i dont do everything correctly.

I have been asked to do sound for a theatre show (very small one) next january. There will be a live band on stage that will need to be mic'ed as well as the actors etc.

The theatre has limited sound equipment:

Sound craft lx mk2 desk 24/4/1
Cd player
Minidisk player x 2
Cassette player
Lexicon reverb
Compressors x 2
Feed back destroyer x 2
Radio lapel mics X 9 (senheiser)
Hand held radio mics x 5 (senheiser)
Shure 58 beta x 20
Shure 57 x 10
Mic stands

What i would like to do is to run all FX for the band and vocals for actors (some need pitch change and some need autotune etc) from my MAC. But im only 50% sure as to how I can achieve this.

So the question I ask is what would be the best software for me to use simply as an FX rack on the MAC? I have logic and Ableton, but i didnt know if there was a standalone software which allows creation of RACKS of FX.

I also have an Edirol FA-101 interface. Would this be ok as the Send/Return module for the FX to the desk?

Any advice would be great.

UKD.

Edited by UKDEVELOPER (19/06/11 06:29 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Dave Rowles

Loc: Isle of Man
Re: Using MAC as FX Processor in a theatre environment new [Re: UKDEVELOPER]
      #921287 - 19/06/11 07:14 PM
You're best using it exactly as you think you would. Aux sends to inputs on the interface, through your DAW of choice, output back to the desk. You'd only do it different if you wanted to use it as an insert on a channel.

--------------------
www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #921289 - 19/06/11 07:49 PM
Look up which Lexicon it is before you rely on this, but most of them seem to come with some kind of pitch-shifter.

And maybe I'm out of touch with modern theatre techniques, but if they can't hit the note then they shouldn't be f***ing well singing to a paying audience in the first place...

Exalted Wombat

#921295 - 19/06/11 09:36 PM
Yes, you could use the Edirol plus a computer as 8 channels of effects. Just set up 8 tracks in any sequencer fed by the 8 physical inputs, insert the chosen FX and send each channel's monitored signal to a separate physical output. Watch the latency figure - a little delay won't matter for reverb and delay, but might sabotage other effects.

But I think you're approaching this from the angle of how you would RECORD this performance in a studio. Theatre sound isn't like that!

I'd think very hard before attempting pitch shift and AutoTune on a live theatre show. The lead singers should consider themselves lucky if you remember to dial in a bit of reverb for the singing (and - even more important - dial it out for the dialogue)!

Anyway, the audience will be hearing direct sound as well as the PA. Pitch correction will sound most odd!

Can you body-mic everyone? There are no microphones in your list suitable for area cover (and that is the only place the feedback eliminators might be useful). Likewise, I can't see anything useful for compressers to do.

But maybe I'm being unfair. Tell us more about the show, type of music, number of performers, any special circumstances...

(I wonder what circumstances would use 20 X SM58s? Maybe a gospel choir?)

Jeraldo

#921331 - 20/06/11 05:05 AM
You describe this as a very small show. From the list of gear, I don't see a need for a computer. I'd just use hardware- easier, straightforward, and arguably more reliable, and certainly easier to fix a problem if one arose. Like some others, I wouldn't be entertaining the use of auto-tune, either. Not to mention pitch shifting.

As has already been said, though, one can't draw many conclusions without really knowing the show.

Good luck, and let us know how it went and what you did.

UKDEVELOPER

Re: Using MAC as FX Processor in a theatre environment new [Re: Jeraldo]
      #921332 - 20/06/11 06:42 AM
Quote Jeraldo:

You describe this as a very small show. From the list of gear, I don't see a need for a computer. I'd just use hardware- easier, straightforward, and arguably more reliable, and certainly easier to fix a problem if one arose. Like some others, I wouldn't be entertaining the use of auto-tune, either. Not to mention pitch shifting.

As has already been said, though, one can't draw many conclusions without really knowing the show.

Good luck, and let us know how it went and what you did.

Hi Jeraldo,

Regarding the use of computer, the only reason I wanted to go down this route is because I probably already have all the gear i need computer-wise. And it saves buying external hardware that I will probably not use again.

The use of pitch shift is paramount for this performance as its a rendition of "The Wizard of Oz" so there needs to be vocal pitch shifting for the parts of the munchkins (pitch up) and the wizard (pitch down) LOL.

I probably wont use autotune in the end

UKD.

benniferj

Loc: Camberley, Surrey, UK
      #921338 - 20/06/11 08:24 AM
As mentioned, even the cheaper end of the Lexicon effects range tend to have pitch shifting processing built in. I remember creating some terrifying pitched vocal sounds on a cheap ( <£100 ) MPX100 that would sound great on Wiz munchkins.

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Using MAC as FX Processor in a theatre environment [Re: benniferj]
      #921346 - 20/06/11 09:08 AM
Re pitchshifting, no worries for the wiz, bcos he's *supposed* to be off-stage!

For the munchkins, if it's a small theatre then there could be some problems with the audience hearing the singers' voices as well as the pitchshifted version in the PA. It's not as simple as the usual sound-reinforcement mission, so it might take some experimentation to find something that blends well. This would be the case whether you use your Mac or the Lexicon.

Flooding the stage with helium mix would do the trick, but might be expensive.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3753

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media