Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
Plug-ins that draw automation "automatically"
      #933357 - 10/08/11 02:46 AM
Hi -

Re: things like Quiet Art Wave Rider and Waves Vocal Rider ...

I've got a basic question, if anyone can help out please:

Re: Image 3 of Quiet Art Wave Rider , which shows each of the plugins drawing automation on a vocal track with a fair amount of dynamics, attenuating the loud parts, and gaining up the softer parts ...

Is it drawing automation in response to the "backing track" presented to the side chain? Or is it simply looking at the changes in volume of the vocal track and trying to "act like a compressor" - with gain reduction on the loud bits, and gaining up the softer ones?

Thanks in advance!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
alexis

Re: Plug-ins that draw automation "automatically" new [Re: alexis]
      #934101 - 13/08/11 04:04 PM
Hi - bumping from 2nd page ... does anyone know how the automations were set up in that article (^^)? To find the answer I've tried to contact the author of the SOS article comparing Wave Rider to Wave's Vocal Rider (Mike Thornton), but haven't found good contact info ... if anyone knows that, please pass along, as that might be helpful too.

Thanks!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

Mike Thornton

Loc: Manchester England
      #934342 - 15/08/11 10:13 AM
Hi Alexis,

Sorry for taking a while to respond. Fig 3 shows both Wave Rider and Vocal Rider working in 'stand alone' mode, so Wave Rider isn't getting any info from the backing track. It is using the vocal track itself as control data and worked very well. I did it this way so I could compare like with like as Waves' Vocal Rider doesn't have an external key feature.

Hope that helps,

Mike.

--------------------
Mike Thornton
www.osd-uk.com

alexis

Re: Plug-ins that draw automation "automatically" new [Re: Mike Thornton]
      #934400 - 15/08/11 01:10 PM
Thank you, Mike for that answer!

It's amazing, almost magical, how well the Quiet Art Wave Rider v2 "knows" how to draw the same automation that an experienced engineer would draw by hand ... "even better" I think the article said. If I didn't see it in the column, I would have easily considered that to be from the "too good to be true" dept.

What an amazing plugin! I'm trying to find the manual to download now and read a bit more about it.

Thanks again for your answer, Mike!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

alexis

#991469 - 06/06/12 04:00 AM
Hi Mike - PM just sent - thanks!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2610

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media