Main Forums >> Keyboards & Synthesis
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
nilsthyni

Loc: Lund, Sweden
Pro's advise on weak cables from PSU? new
      #938509 - 04/09/11 08:38 AM
Getting tired of buying new PSUs every second year (for my keyboards and stuff) due to breaking cables (mostly at the PSU end).

I figure I could go down three different paths:
1. supporting the leads at the ends with tape or 'shrink wrap'
2. do away with them altogether using a power distributor like 'T-Rex Fuel Tank' (a powerful version due to the keybords higher power demand versus guitar pedals)
3. capitulate and buy a back-up PSU for every gear...

Any tips? How does the pro's do away with this when they build keyboard rigs?
/Robert, a forum novise

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
zenguitarAdministrator

Loc: Devon
Re: Pro's advise on weak cables from PSU? new [Re: nilsthyni]
      #938542 - 04/09/11 12:33 PM
The advantage a pro has is employing a keyboard technician or two.

When touring they use the production rehearsals to decide what equipment is used and how it's going to be wired together. Then the tech works out a routine for assembling and packing everything away. Gaffa tape is in plentiful supply, so trailing PSU cables are kept out of harms way. Part of the production rehearsals is about having a 'back-up' sound on another keyboard, so for example if the piano stops working mid show, there is a piano sound ready on a synth.

The tech will also have a nice flightcased toolbox, and will carry spare leads and wall warts. And if they have to use the spare, then they go to the production manager and ask him to buy a replacement.

Some players do have custom power supplies and looms, but that is uncommon. Custom items are hard to replace at short notice, PSU's are treated as disposable, commodity, items that you can buy at short notice in most towns and cities and can get delivered by next day post.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Exalted Wombat

#938552 - 04/09/11 02:51 PM
Quote nilsthyni:

Getting tired of buying new PSUs every second year (for my keyboards and stuff) due to breaking cables (mostly at the PSU end).

2. do away with them altogether using a power distributor like 'T-Rex Fuel Tank' (a powerful version due to the keybords higher power demand versus guitar pedals)

Any tips? How does the pro's do away with this when they build keyboard rigs?
/Robert, a forum novise

Treat them well. Anticipate the failure point and contrive to take the strain away. If your gigs matter, yes, you need a back-up of everything of this sort.

Tony Raven

Loc: Minnesota, USA
      #938783 - 05/09/11 05:02 PM
I have a half-dozen "universal" supplies handy... & I don't even gig with my synths. Those flimsy little wires have a way of getting tugged or crushed.

If the plug end isn't right-angle, you could go to the auto shop or plumber's & get a 2"-3" length of black neoprene tube for pennies, then work it down to the wall-wart. Doesn't matter that it's bigger than the wire, as all you're trying to do is spread the bend-strain over a longer stretch -- if it's too stiff, you're just asking for the break to appear further up. But I suppose, even then, it's easier to repair than when it breaks off right at the (near useless) cast-plastic strain relief.

I generally just take the wall-wart, turn the wire back-&-forth once, & lash it together with friction tape. The same can be done at the other end.

A good stompbox brick should be able to handle a few synths, but the supplied wires are probably a bit short, so some splicing might be onvolved.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #938789 - 05/09/11 05:38 PM
Quote nilsthyni:

The dedicated power distributor idea is a pretty good one, not least because you'll ususally get better power supplies that way with higher quality leads that are more robust and more easily replaceable. This is the route I'd go down, personally.

But if you're wedded to the standard wall warts, then the only solution is to treat them very gently and carefully. You might be able to make them a little more robust by adding some form of cable strain relief, but these are fundamentally cheap, unprofessional devices not intended for the rigours of a tough gigging life. It is inevitable that they will, sooner or later, break.

And because it's a 'when', not an 'if' that they will break, (even if you modify your existing units to try and make them more robust), I would suggest it is absolutely essential that you carry a spare (or two). The cost of buying spares is a lot less than the lost revenue of a cancelled gig!

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Exalted Wombat

#938823 - 05/09/11 10:51 PM
The problem comes with gear like a Kurzweil PC2X. Its power supply delivers two different voltages, on an unusual connector. And the interface with the keyboard is particularly vulnerable.

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Pro's advise on weak cables from PSU? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #938850 - 06/09/11 08:40 AM
If you're moderately handy with a drill and soldering iron, you can always drill a hole in the case and fit a better socket. Something like one of this list, perhaps.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Connectors-Mains-Power/Weathe rproof-Connectors

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Pro's advise on weak cables from PSU? new [Re: grab]
      #938852 - 06/09/11 08:53 AM
Absolutely... I've done that on some of my own equipment before now, and similar 'upgrades' to replace captive mains cables with removable plug/socket arrangements...

However, making these kinds of modifications will inevitably void any warranty and, potentially, damage the equipment if the modifications are not performed correctly. So unless you are totally confident of your abilities to do the work, and to understand fully the nature of what you're doing and the implications, the simple but safe advice is DON'T!

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
Re: Pro's advise on weak cables from PSU? [Re: nilsthyni]
      #938895 - 06/09/11 12:15 PM
I mod'd a psu once. Plugged it in and it went bang in a most satisfactory way!

Pros? I know from experience that they avoid keyboards with wall warts (IEC leads only) and any modules that must use them are in a proper wheeled rack, permanently attached to a power distribution board (gaffa tape really is your friend) and even then they are mistrusted!

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

tacitus

#946535 - 11/10/11 03:37 PM
I loop the output cable of a wallwart round the psu block and gaffa it there. If I'm doing any amount of gigging on keys I set up a mains strip with everything on it, gaffa'd as above and, if necessary, the wallwarts gaffa'd together. That usually keeps things going, but don't trust me, get spares. I plonk the mains trip with all the wallwarts in a shopping bag and haven't had a failure yet. I do move and load all my own gear, though.

You may need to be careful if putting gaffa tape round a wallwart that you don't block up any ventilation. Look carefully - some of the ribs are actual ventilation, but sometimes they're just there for show.

If I had other crew moving and setting up my stuff I'd go with the power distributor route, I think. But I'd be trying to have only IEC mains leads if I possibly could.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4347

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media