Print Thread

Pages: 1
elfspell

Loc: Greece
ARTURIA CS-80 QUESTION !!! new
      #941158 - 16/09/11 09:14 AM
Hi all

New to this forum.

I am trying to get the rhodes-like sound Vangelis is using on Antarctica-Echoes on my (vst) CS-80 synthesizer... in vain.

Can anyone that knows this synth can guide me on how to get it done?... Or maybe a send me a file with the preset?... I would much appreciate!

Thank you and salutations from a troubled Greece.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: ARTURIA CS-80 QUESTION !!! new [Re: elfspell]
      #941221 - 16/09/11 12:14 PM
Welcome to the forum.

As far as I am aware the CS 80 by Arturia is not a 100% clone of the real thing, but offers many of the options of the original synth. You may not be able to re-create an exact patch, but you can get close.

I'm not familiar with the electric piano sound you are referring to, but are you sure it is coming from the CS80 and not an actual electric piano?

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct02/articles/synthsecrets10.asp Here are some tips on creating real piano sounds, but an eelctic piano will follow the same principles. I tend to use a sine wave with a suitably short decay on the envelope and some sustain. Apply some LFO to the pan and gain and you can get some way there.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

johnny h

#941392 - 17/09/11 06:45 AM
Quote elfspell:

Hi all

New to this forum.

I am trying to get the rhodes-like sound Vangelis is using on Antarctica-Echoes on my (vst) CS-80 synthesizer... in vain.

Can anyone that knows this synth can guide me on how to get it done?... Or maybe a send me a file with the preset?... I would much appreciate!

Thank you and salutations from a troubled Greece.

The problem is the Arturia CS 80 is a big pile of shite and sounds absolutely nothing like a real CS 80. They have a great marketing department and that's about it. I would advice you to sell it immediately and start saving up for the real thing.

Chaconne

Loc: Oxford
      #942429 - 21/09/11 07:23 PM
There will always be arguemnts as to what Vangelis uses on tracks, but one thing is for sure - the CS80 is not all he used.

He used Fender electric piano's, Yamaha CP piano's, and GS1 FM synthesisers. If you are a Vangelis fan, and you need to recreate his pallette, you will need VST's that emulate these sounds as well.

If you compare the track you mention to the Blade Runner soundtrack, you can hear similar sounds, and I would say confidently that none of those piano sounds some from the CS80. You can get similar tinlky sounds from a DX7 that sound like the GS1, and to some extent Fender Rhodes electric piano's. I think you will be well served with an FM based VST - like Native Instruments FM8.

The CS80 was used for pad and string sounds, and of course the famous leads, but it was not his only instrument! It lacks the necesary modulation capabilties that some of the last analog synths had (eg JX8P, Matrix 12,6) that allowed them to compete to some extent with the new FM synths - and produce 'piano' like sounds.

By the way, The VST is not that bad - who can afford the real thing anyhow?

--------------------

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
Re: ARTURIA CS-80 QUESTION !!! [Re: elfspell]
      #942460 - 21/09/11 09:55 PM
He also had a Korg 700s early on

And although not related to this track...other than being a great synth you can get other Vangelis style sounds with it

http://soundcloud.com/martin_bell/korg-mini-700s

But then you don't always need the exact instruments... This blew me away

http://soundcloud.com/peahix/yamaha-cs01ii-plays-big-muff

johnny h

Re: ARTURIA CS-80 QUESTION !!! new [Re: Chaconne]
      #942939 - 24/09/11 01:13 PM
Quote Chaconne:

There will always be arguemnts as to what Vangelis uses on tracks, but one thing is for sure - the CS80 is not all he used.

He used Fender electric piano's, Yamaha CP piano's, and GS1 FM synthesisers. If you are a Vangelis fan, and you need to recreate his pallette, you will need VST's that emulate these sounds as well.

If you compare the track you mention to the Blade Runner soundtrack, you can hear similar sounds, and I would say confidently that none of those piano sounds some from the CS80. You can get similar tinlky sounds from a DX7 that sound like the GS1, and to some extent Fender Rhodes electric piano's. I think you will be well served with an FM based VST - like Native Instruments FM8.

The CS80 was used for pad and string sounds, and of course the famous leads, but it was not his only instrument! It lacks the necesary modulation capabilties that some of the last analog synths had (eg JX8P, Matrix 12,6) that allowed them to compete to some extent with the new FM synths - and produce 'piano' like sounds.

By the way, The VST is not that bad - who can afford the real thing anyhow?

If you want the sound of the CS 80, then you will not get it from the plugin. There is no great honour in copying somebody, but doing it badly is deeply unnecessary.

I'm always shocked at the great reviews given to Arturia products.

martin randle

Loc: cambridge uk
Re: ARTURIA CS-80 QUESTION !!! new [Re: johnny h]
      #943118 - 25/09/11 05:50 PM
If you father is Alan Sugar then yes, I agree the real deal is best. But for those of us who live in the REAL world. the thousands of pounds you would need for a CS80 assuming you could ever find one for sale - in a usable condition is simply unattainable.

For many people it is a hobby and thus has limited resources and room for such extravagances as the mighty CS80. Yet why should someone not want to play with those sort of sounds just because their daddy doesn't own Soho?

For people like me it is a way to earn a living but still has to follow the same conditions. It has to be affordable and earn it's keep - sod whether it is 100% authentic or not- that is for those who can afford to be picky!

I am not critising those professionals who have the facilities and need the authentic deal to satisfy customer expectations - that is fine. In such case it will earn it's keep.

Mart

--------------------
twang!

Chaconne

Loc: Oxford
      #943196 - 25/09/11 10:34 PM
I have seen videos of people with half thier walls papered in modular synths, and produce nothing but drivel. On the other hand I have heard some fair renditions of classics - done on free VST's.

Wether or not you think thats a worthwhile thing or not - who cares - sometimes its fun, and you learn something. I love the analog synths I could afford, and I love some of the VST's I have - some humble items like Fruity Loop's Harmless. Mix and match, do what you like, have fun - but there is no point in just writing off what people want to do in an entriely negative way.

Personally when I have the time, I like to try and have ago at being Tangerine Dream or Vangelis, just becasue as kid, nothing was affordable to me, what is available now seams like magic - I like the PPG plug in - I like discovering the sounds that were all over Poland. And I learn a thing or two about the history of music - 'cos I still cant afford one now!

--------------------

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
Re: ARTURIA CS-80 QUESTION !!! new [Re: Chaconne]
      #943197 - 25/09/11 10:39 PM
Quote Chaconne:

I have seen videos of people with half thier walls papered in modular synths, and produce nothing but drivel. On the other hand I have heard some fair renditions of classics - done on free VST's.

Hahahah oh how true this is

johnny h

Re: ARTURIA CS-80 QUESTION !!! new [Re: vinyl_junkie]
      #943208 - 25/09/11 11:36 PM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

Quote Chaconne:

Hahahah oh how true this is

Bet you haven't heard a convincing Boards of Canada track done on a VST, free or otherwise...

Mr Spanky

Loc: Tokyo
      #944758 - 03/10/11 02:03 PM
BoC used the MOTU MX4 soft synth on their last album. I heard a couple of presets from it. Sad I know, but it was instantly recognisable.

johnny h

Re: ARTURIA CS-80 QUESTION !!! new [Re: Mr Spanky]
      #944889 - 04/10/11 01:07 AM
Quote Mr Spanky:

BoC used the MOTU MX4 soft synth on their last album. I heard a couple of presets from it. Sad I know, but it was instantly recognisable.

Yeah they don't use the Arturia CS80 though. If they did you'd never have heard of them.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4721

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media