Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Rhys Llewellyn

Is there any way to install new XP OS whilst in Win 7?
      #945950 - 08/10/11 02:27 AM
Hi.

So basically, I want to have an XP partition for a select few programmes/USB devices which don't work in Win 7.

I've done numerous multi boot installs, using the usual method of booting from disc, selecting partition to format/install etc...

However, for some reason my XP Install disc just constantly hangs. The disc seems to be working fine as I used to upgrade to Win 7 last week. Maybe the fact my Win 7 is an upgrade disc has something to do with it??

So my question is: Is there any way to extract/install all the XP files to a dedicated partition whilst running my Win 7 partition? I've just tried copying all the files across, about to reboot, but I seriously doubt it's going to work!

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: Is there any way to install new XP OS whilst in Win 7? new [Re: Rhys Llewellyn]
      #945953 - 08/10/11 06:27 AM
You could give www.vitualbox.org a try.

Re usb devices, if they are keyboards try the M-Audio W7 usb MIDI driver, sorted my Evolution kbd a treat!

Last resort, keep an old XP machine under the bench netted,S/PDIF'ed and MIDI'ed to the W7 one.

Dave.

Edited by ef37a (08/10/11 06:29 AM)

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: Is there any way to install new XP OS whilst in Win 7? new [Re: ef37a]
      #945954 - 08/10/11 06:31 AM
Why! Can't I edit this post?

Anyway that link should read www.virtualbox.org

Wiv an R.
Dave.

DragonLogos
Above us only Sky

Loc: East London
Re: Is there any way to install new XP OS whilst in Win 7? new [Re: Rhys Llewellyn]
      #945975 - 08/10/11 11:32 AM
The Sun microsystems virtual box does work well, it does require you to register your XP number again because basically it is an install of XP, there again only do that once you have everything running (you have 30 days) - You can also try and get an XP box via Windows live, this used to be only if you had A Pro or Ultimate edition, and had to have visualization turn on (and available) in your BIOS - but have heard Microsoft have passed on this requirement

What system specs have you got BTW? Sounds a bit Intel and Gigabyte

--------------------
www.dragonlogos.co.uk

Rhys Llewellyn

#946048 - 08/10/11 11:54 PM
Thanks very much.

Virtualbox looks interesting. I hope it's not too complex to set up. Here I go...

Steve A

Loc: Edinburgh
      #946256 - 10/10/11 12:59 PM
I'm not sure if you meant that you've used your XP disc to install onto this particular machine before or just doing dual boots in general. If it's the latter, could it be that you're installing to a machine that's too modern for XP to install using the drivers it comes preloaded with (for example, if you have SATA hard drives)? In which case, your solution is to create a new install disk by 'slip streaming' the required drivers which you can achieve using a free program called nlite (it's easier than it sounds).

By the way, it's tricky to get XP working elegantly in a dual boot with Windows 7 unless XP is installed first. You'll encounter headaches like the system drive not being C: and the Windows 7 drive still being visible with no way of hiding it etc etc. I've just been through that particular brand of hell myself.

--------------------
http://www.partyfearsthree.co.uk

Rhys Llewellyn

Re: Is there any way to install new XP OS whilst in Win 7? new [Re: Steve A]
      #946625 - 12/10/11 01:52 AM
Yeah it seems to be one headache after another. To be honest I've given up... I can live without a few of my older peripherals for now, and will just upgrade when I can. Too much hassle!

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3204

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media