Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
GRAHAM99

DEAD PC new
      #946318 - 10/10/11 07:06 PM
My pc keeps cuting out and re-booting.Sometimes it won't boot at all.It is a Windows XP machine (5 yrs old) with Cubase SX3,an Echo Layla 3G Soundcard, UAD 1 Studio Pack and Autotune.My local pc repair shop tells me I need a new motherboard and probably a new power supply.
Will my existing softare be ok after this "surgery"?
Would it be better to get a new machine and would my software run under Windows 7?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: DEAD PC new [Re: GRAHAM99]
      #946320 - 10/10/11 07:18 PM
Most likely cause G is a build up of dust and fluff on the processor heat sink. This is quite a simple job to do with a small vac' and a brush but you might find it easier once you have the first 10mm or so off (I kid you not!) to get a couple of cans of "air", take the chassis outside and blast it out. If it still misbehaves try booting it up in safe mode, fire up the pc then keep tapping F8.
I am not sure I would trust the guy in the shop, he should have said that it probably just needs a cleanout.

A new pc, W7/64 bit, would not hurt of course but keep the old one and network it to the new, assuming you get it fixed. You will find having two computers far more than twice as useful as one!

Dave.

GRAHAM99

Re: DEAD PC new [Re: ef37a]
      #946322 - 10/10/11 07:24 PM
Hi Dave

Thanks for that.

Problem now is that it won't boot up at all!!!

Graham

ef37a

Re: DEAD PC [Re: GRAHAM99]
      #946329 - 10/10/11 07:45 PM
Quote GRAHAM99:

Hi Dave

Thanks for that.

Problem now is that it won't boot up at all!!!

Graham

Is there ANY sign of life? A whirr from a had drive, will the CD draw eject? If not the power supply could well have gone TsU. It is not that difficult to remove and replace the supply. Best to take it out (piccy of plugs positions but you really can't get them wrong)and show it to a shop man but not THAT one? DOH! Maplin carry PSUs! Not the cheapest about but since they do not service PCs (afaik) they will have no axe to grind.
You are looking at about 30quid for a bog standard PSU.

Dave.

GRAHAM99

#946330 - 10/10/11 07:54 PM
Got the side off the pc,the fans are working but nothing going to the monitor!!

ef37a

#946333 - 10/10/11 08:02 PM
Quote GRAHAM99:

Got the side off the pc,the fans are working but nothing going to the monitor!!

If it won't boot into safe mode I am sorry but that is about all I can do at this distance! Far better PC men than I will be along very shortly I guess, should be finished their coffees and brandies soon!

Dave.

GRAHAM99

#946334 - 10/10/11 08:08 PM
Thanks Dave think I need a large brandy myself!!!

Graham

OneWorld

#946363 - 10/10/11 11:30 PM
Easier said than done but I think I'd be inclined to update it. The age of the pc is the equivalent of plastic hip time, if it were a human! A new power supply won't cost much, but apart from that, giving everything a good clean and making sure everything is seated properly, all cables connectors connecting snugly etc is about as much as you can justify cost and time. I have seen basic but reasonably specc'd i5 PCs at £300 +graphics card +ram upgrade

ef37a

Re: DEAD PC new [Re: OneWorld]
      #946384 - 11/10/11 06:09 AM
I tend to agree One.
Graham, this could be a deal breaker...
Do you have a Windows XP disc and the knowledge to format the hard drive and reinstall?

If not I would call it a day now and cut your losses, at that age the pc will be stuffed full of "junk" and it is well past time for a total data cleanout.

Tip: Keep the hard drive from the old pc. You can then buy a usb adaptor and get data off that at a later date. (it is sometimes not the easy "plug and play" they say it is but a bit of "jumpering" should get it seen on the new pc).

Also, if you do get a new pc buy some DVD + or -R discs with it so that you can make a set (of 3 as a rule) Recovery discs on day one.

Dave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3403

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media