Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
kapaw

Loc: Denmark
Lavalier Microphones for singers, sopranos
      #946338 - 10/10/11 08:28 PM
Woorking with teartet, I often run into some great singers. Therefore, it is sometimes a bit of a shame not to give them a decent microphone, especially the sopranos.
Because it must be a Lavalier Microphone that can be hidden.
Does anyone out there who have good experiences with some good mics. There are more suitable, than the standard leavline mic.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
seablade

Re: Lavalier Microphones for singers, sopranos new [Re: kapaw]
      #946347 - 10/10/11 09:47 PM
Quote kapaw:

Woorking with teartet, I often run into some great singers. Therefore, it is sometimes a bit of a shame not to give them a decent microphone, especially the sopranos.
Because it must be a Lavalier Microphone that can be hidden.
Does anyone out there who have good experiences with some good mics. There are more suitable, than the standard leavline mic.

Look into lavs for theater use and their mounting positions. Pretty standard stuff in my world;)

Seablade

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Lavalier Microphones for singers, sopranos new [Re: kapaw]
      #946449 - 11/10/11 10:52 AM
DPA lavaliers are generally recognised as amongst the best, and Sennheiser make some very good ones that are appropriate to your situation too.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

seablade

Re: Lavalier Microphones for singers, sopranos new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #946467 - 11/10/11 11:26 AM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

DPA lavaliers are generally recognised as amongst the best, and Sennheiser make some very good ones that are appropriate to your situation too.

hugh

Now that I am not typing on my cell phone...

DPA do generally get considered the best, but in as far as Sennheiser, well it becomes much more a matter of personal preference between them and Countryman. Honestly I see more B3s in use than MKEs and I have a personal preference for the Countryman mics. In all cases we are using omni-directional mics to help with things like wind noise into the mic and proximity effect.

The thing is, and what I alluded to in my post above, is that it isn't just the mic that makes a difference but also the mounting position. The actual chest mounted lav is a last resort in theater for many reasons. We tend to use one of two positions. The first is right at the top of the forehead at the hairline. This provides the most natural sound in most cases and is typically the first position we go to in theater for this reason and because it is still very easily hidden to almost invisible if you take time to match the cable etc. to the hair and skin color of the performer. The second position is right above the ear following the cheekbone. Not quite as nice a pickup as the top of the forehead, and not quite as well hidden, but if your performer is bald for instance, it might be a necessity. Either of these positions however will be much more natural of a sound than the chest mounted lav.

Of course when you get into miking like this you also can have other issues you should learn about and be prepared for, like sweat outs etc. But this should give you a nice starting point.

Seablade

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3138

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media