Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
OneWorld

Does anyone know how to install Quicktime Alternative in FF new
      #946715 - 12/10/11 01:09 PM
I am using Firefox 7.0.1 and go to some webpages where it says there is a missing plugin, to play .mov files, so I need Quicktime, but I don't want he bloat that Apple foists on me so I chose Quicktime Alternative, which I know works as I have used it before.

I read some instructions on the internet and it said during the installation of Quicktime Alternative, point the installation to the plugins folder of Firefox, but that option doesn't appear when I am installing QTA, it goes straight into c:\program files\QTA, there is no option to browse to another folder.

So I tried Firefox again and this time clicked on the "Install Missing Plugins" and the next screen says "Apple Quicktime" but then says it isn't found, which of course FF won't find it. There is a button in FF which then says "Manual Install" but clicking that takes me to the Apple website and not the install of QTA I have just done.

I know QTA can work in FF as I managed to install it in the past, but can't remember how

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: Does anyone know how to install Quicktime Alternative in FF new [Re: OneWorld]
      #946726 - 12/10/11 01:35 PM
I've not installed it in a while, but best guess is when you install it and it asks you what sort of install you wish to carry out "Basic/Normal/Custom" (just a guess at the possible options) and you'd want to click on "Custom" and see where it takes you. I imagine if the option is there to custom install then at some point in a custom install it would ask you what optional extras you may wish to install and somewhere in that lot would be the extensions for the browsers.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

OneWorld

Re: Does anyone know how to install Quicktime Alternative in FF new [Re: OneWorld]
      #946741 - 12/10/11 02:20 PM
No it gives none of those options. It does give some options, eg whether to install optional components - Media Player Classic et al, but nothing relating to file paths

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#946946 - 13/10/11 12:33 PM
Quote OneWorld:

No it gives none of those options. It does give some options, eg whether to install optional components - Media Player Classic et al, but nothing relating to file paths

Has a full version of quicktime been installed on this machine install before? It's possible that it's still pointing at the wrong codec or hasn't been fully uninstalled and is causing the hassle.

Firefox itself should also log an internal pointer (viewable via Tools>options>applications) which itself will tell the browser how to decode and view media formats inside of the browser should the support be there. You might be able to repoint firefox by hitting the help button on the applications page and following the instructions on what to do.

It could also be a Firefox 7 bug. They seem to be releasing version upgrades currently faster than most plug in makers can do revision fixes so whilst I know you've already looked around for version fixes it might be worth asking the QTA team if they can validate on the latest FF release just in case the's a problem.

OneWorld

#946991 - 13/10/11 02:41 PM
No, I have studiously avoided Quicktime having it blight my very existence when I first installed it eons ago and the very mention of it brings me out in a rash. Then I came across QTA and what a little gem of a plugin, took seconds to install and worked first time out of the box so to speak.

I moved from FF to Opera when FF took a stroll down Bloatware Boulevard, but Opera didn't work with eBay, tried Chrome, found it slow, but overtime FF kept popping up and I tried it again and was pleased that they seemed to take on the comments that was was becoming bloated and slow, and it was working fine. It has gone through several updates and now Quicktime (MOV) files won't play - why don't developers just leave things alone or at least give you the opportunity to wind things back to when things just worked.

I know things have to develop, but I see no appreciable difference between FF 2 and the one I am using now (FF 7.01), there's a few bits and bobs that have changed, but what's the use when it is only partly functional, if that's progress then they can keep it!

I tried your suggestion (thanks) of looking at tools/applications but there is no mention of quicktime or mov.

Surely if a dunderhead like myself can come up with the simple suggestion that, in the browser menu offer an option - add a plugin, and browse to where the plugin lives? Surely that's not going boil anyone's brain to add that functionality?

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: Does anyone know how to install Quicktime Alternative in FF [Re: OneWorld]
      #947011 - 13/10/11 03:53 PM
Quote OneWorld:

It has gone through several updates and now Quicktime (MOV) files won't play - why don't developers just leave things alone or at least give you the opportunity to wind things back to when things just worked.

I know things have to develop, but I see no appreciable difference between FF 2 and the one I am using now (FF 7.01), there's a few bits and bobs that have changed, but what's the use when it is only partly functional, if that's progress then they can keep it!

The bloat continued to rev. 4 where they re-worked a lot of the engine and it got quite nice to use again, and that trend continued to rev 5.... after which they started released 6 & 7 a few months apart and seem to have undone a lot of the previous good work.

Trust me, your not the only one getting annoyed with the almost weekly updates at this point!

Quote OneWorld:

I tried your suggestion (thanks) of looking at tools/applications but there is no mention of quicktime or mov.

Yeah, it was a stab in the dark that one. I looked at the populated list when I last posted and realised it would only list those applications which were/had been installed and thought perhaps if a previous revision had made it on there.... but then if QT hasn't been allowed near there, that isn't likely to help.

Quote OneWorld:

Surely if a dunderhead like myself can come up with the simple suggestion that, in the browser menu offer an option - add a plugin, and browse to where the plugin lives? Surely that's not going boil anyone's brain to add that functionality?

Your right, but then Mozzilla prefer you to install directly from the web using some sort of cab installer system which leaves 3rd party installation routines a bit out on a limb.

I'm thinking (and this is the long way round the mountain) that if you installed VLC media player with the firefox extension and then installed QTA onto the system then VLC should run QTA fine and you can then use the VLC extension to run your QTA in the browser... which of course if you don't like/use VLC would mean that you've just bloated your machine worse than installed QT itself.

Meh.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2935

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media