Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
christianmurphy

Amp cleaning new
      #947721 - 18/10/11 11:32 AM
How often do you check your amps and give them a clean?

Recently bought a couple of second hand amps, and considering opening it up to check the dust situation and give them a clean. What's the best way to do it? Compressed air duster?

Christian.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
christianmurphy

Re: Amp cleaning new [Re: christianmurphy]
      #947765 - 18/10/11 01:57 PM
Kind of a little pointless now, just took my two QSCs apart and they were pretty much spotless inside. Bit of dust on the bottom covers, wiped it off and they look brand new inside.

Still any replies welcome for future reference

seablade

Re: Amp cleaning [Re: christianmurphy]
      #947777 - 18/10/11 02:41 PM
Quote christianmurphy:

Kind of a little pointless now, just took my two QSCs apart and they were pretty much spotless inside. Bit of dust on the bottom covers, wiped it off and they look brand new inside.

Still any replies welcome for future reference

Best way depends on the amp, some amps you could remove the filters and carefully wash them clean, some you can't in which case using a compressed air canister to blow air out of the amp(Not into the amp) can work. I tend to do this more as a visual thing, you can see dust on filters and depending on how dirty it is will determine on whether I clean it or not. If they have been sitting for a while not being used I will tend to clean it out before using it of course.

Seablade

Raphbass

#947803 - 18/10/11 05:46 PM
I have an old Amcron Geodyne1 that I've had for nearly 20 years and cleaned it out a couple of times, taking top and bottom covers off and using compressed air, and I've taken out and washed a foam filter on the front panel.

I slightly worry about "disturbing" dust into bits that are perfectly ok - eg the fan still works totally smoothly and I'd hate to blow dust onto the spindle - with that in mind I try to blow dust away from the motor, but I suppose if it's lasted this long it's probably fairly well protected.

TSH-Tim

Loc: Guildford
      #947814 - 18/10/11 06:18 PM
I try my best to give all our amps a good blow out via a air comp once a month but am sure they dont need that lol ..... I friend of mine owns some of my old LAB4000's which have a filter on the front that you can quickly take off to clean them. His are sooo bad you can pull the dust out the front lol yet they still work

--------------------
PA Hire Surrey
Lighting Hire Surrey

Falconhell

Re: Amp cleaning new [Re: TSH-Tim]
      #947839 - 18/10/11 10:33 PM
Personally, I do not blow out dust from electronic devices, as often the dust is forced into connectors, sockets and pots etc (Well that what we were told at technician school anyway) A much better approach is to use a soft brush and vaccuum cleaner to remove any detrious form your devices.

TSH-Tim

Loc: Guildford
      #948061 - 19/10/11 08:00 PM
Umm not sure about that :? but i can see what your saying... I've always just blown amps out with the odd bit of cleaning with a brush if its needed

--------------------
PA Hire Surrey
Lighting Hire Surrey

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3147

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media