For recording purposes.

Measurements:
Room: 3m * 2.7m
Floor to roof: 2.32m
Single glazed Window: 1.20 * 1.20m
Door: 76cm length

I was thinking of something like:
At 2:03 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi2p8Flelo8&feature=related

Though I feel the huge gaps between boards will let me down.

Any suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Murdoch

Re: Whats the best way of treating this room? new [Re: Murdoch]
      #948309 - 21/10/11 02:03 AM
I understand its a completely newbie question but its something I'm looking to do asap with the spare room. A slight nudge towards the right direction would help a lot.

I'm thinking maybe plasterboards filled with rockwool. But how much? Should I cover all the walls and roof completely?
How about concrete on the floor covered by these boards?
Also willing to drill one of these boards to cover the window temporarily.

How effective will all this be?

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #948393 - 21/10/11 01:06 PM
Hi Murdoch!

I suspect the reason you haven’t got any answers yet is that you don’t say WHAT you want to treat this room for

I suspect from your questions that you’re wanting to soundproof it (concrete, gaps between boards...) but if you want to improve its acoustics for recording purposes then the approach will be completely different. if you’re wanting to record instruments or vocals in there then the approach will once again be totally different compared with setting up a control room for recording/playing back electronic music.

Let us know what this spare room is going to be used for and then we can help more

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Murdoch

#948641 - 23/10/11 01:02 AM
Hi Martin!

Thanks for your reply. 

For recording acoustic instruments mainly. Monitoring will be carried out in another room. Not looking to treat it anytime soon.

In the recording room I'm looking to keep external sound pollution out of the room (away from the mics) as much as possible.

I live in a north-London flat with a play area at the front. Though (this soon to be) recording room is at the back of the house/flat away from the play area with 1 window facing the park, which doesn't produce excessive pollution, compared to the front area.

I was originally looking to go to a pro studio, however with the luxury of a spare room and a B&Q discount card I thought I'd build me a recording room as that will give me 24/7 access to recording creativity.

Where does one begin?

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Whats the best way of treating this room? [Re: Murdoch]
      #948884 - 24/10/11 10:32 AM
A tricky question, especially in a flat where you may have neighbours on both sides, above and below.

Although thankfully most acoustic instruments apart from drum kits emit levels that are more neighbour friendly, I would have thought that 24/7 is a bit optimistic without professional soundproofing.

Stick to times when neighbours are out and you’re likely to get on a lot better.

As for how to start reducing unwanted outside noises from your recordings, identify the weakest link and improve that (probably your window).

Hope this helps!

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Murdoch

#948990 - 24/10/11 06:31 PM
There aren't any neighbours on either side. It connects to the park on one side and another of our room on the other. The top is the roof and bottom is also ours. This is why I chose this room.

I was thinking of boarding up the window twice. Once with 1 sheet of plaster board, then a 10cm gap of insulation of some sort and then another board that you read about in acoustic tutorials (I.e. 2 plaster boards filled with rockwool etc).

Maybe I should do that to the window 1st (seeing as how its the weakest link) and then think about double plaster boarding the walls and placing concrete all over the floor, etc?

Also the door seems to be the 2nd weak link, how does one sound-treat a door? Will I have to purchase a new door?

Vague question but how much will it cost for a pro sound proofing setup including installation? Can you recommend me a decently priced company?

Many thanks!

Murdoch

#949065 - 25/10/11 02:08 AM
Re-reading http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may08/articles/soundproofing.htm

Quick question; are air-gaps/insulation only for attenuating the low-end?

Am I correct in thinking i'll be getting MUCH better results if I were to use concrete beneath the floating floor and use some pasty stuff to cover the gaps between concretes before placing the floor on top?

In relation to floating floor:
The door opens into the room, what happens to the length the door covers when open?

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3675

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media