Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
Re: AD converter issue. new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #950064 - 28/10/11 06:26 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

You and me both...

It's a hugely versatile product -- more so than most people need, really -- and many would argue that the Orpheus has a slight edge in sonic terms although perhaps not quite as versatile.

hugh

Interesting note about Orpheus as I've tried both and couldn't tell the difference (though not in A/B conditions). What I really really like about the 8XR is the modular aspect. The firewire 400 could perhaps be replaced with a thunderbolt in future (not sure about the protocol). Great products by a great company. Wish they'd enter the entry level market so I could afford one. Even 2 channel. :drool:

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Dark Fader
sith lord

Loc: Death Star
Re: AD converter issue. new [Re: akkk]
      #950066 - 28/10/11 07:59 PM
Sorry, I was just curious as to what your methods were for matching the levels.

--------------------
...rubbish at words 'n' stuff.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: AD converter issue. new [Re: ken long]
      #950084 - 28/10/11 11:37 PM
Quote ken long:

Interesting note about Orpheus as I've tried both and couldn't tell the difference (though not in A/B conditions).

It's a very subtle difference, but even the Prism guys seem to think the orpheus is the best converter they've done to date.

Quote:

What I really really like about the 8XR is the modular aspect.

Absolutely -- that's it's key selling point, the versatility of interfacing.

Quote:

Wish they'd enter the entry level market so I could afford one

I fear that if the built down to the entry level market it wouldn't sound like a Prism anymore. There's a reason their stuff costs what it does.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
      #950090 - 29/10/11 01:00 AM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

I fear that if the built down to the entry level market it wouldn't sound like a Prism anymore. There's a reason their stuff costs what it does.

Yes. A bit like Bentleys!

But I'm not sure I agree that they couldn't keep the quality at an affordable price. Apogee delivered a pretty good interface in the Duet. Not the best Apogee (and I have't tried Symphony) but pretty damn close and 5 x cheaper than the comparable Rosetta 200 - which incidentally, does not have mic pre-amps (but that's another thread!). The Orpheus appears to me to be a step they took in that direction but I can only speak for myself when I say I couldn't ever justify purchasing one at the current price considering there are cheaper "decent" alternatives so it goes on that shelf in my locker of repressed desires along with the Nagra VI and A807.

Edit: Just realised I was comparing Apogee to Prism. Just to be clear, there is a vast difference between say, the Ensemble and the Orpheus. ADC aside, The build and features of the Orpheus are superior to the Apogee. In fairness, the Ensemble has very good convertors and good pres for the money. But it has some limiting design features and, IMO, poor software.

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

Edited by ken long (29/10/11 01:07 AM)

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #950096 - 29/10/11 06:53 AM
"There's a reason their stuff costs what it does."

Oooo! Do tell!

Dave.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: AD converter issue. new [Re: ken long]
      #950098 - 29/10/11 07:13 AM
This is a most interesting diversion Ken!

Seems to me that a top bllx A to D converter outputing just digital, S/PDIF AES and powered from a decent but generally available (and cheap!)line lump SMPSU could be made, together with a complimentory D/A so allowing people to build up a very good converter chain.

The unit would be very simple, having just line inputs and screwdiver multiturn level setting pots. The whole shooting match could interface to an AP 192 or similar for MIDI (would be even better for M-A to get off derrier and make a PCIe 192!).

There is precedence in that there are now quite a few very good lower cost, no frills mic pres' about.

Dave.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: AD converter issue. new [Re: ef37a]
      #950117 - 29/10/11 10:07 AM
Quote ef37a:

"There's a reason their stuff costs what it does."
Oooo! Do tell!

You just have to open the lid to see. Their stuff isn't the 'chip designer's application sheet' implementations you see everywhere else -- and often done badly. They design from scracth adn from the ground up with meticulous detail to every aspect of the circuitry; power supply, analogue, converter, digital, interfacing etc. They are fanatical engineers who design things right, without compromises, not to achieve a certain price target.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 14314

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media